Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Watch

Options
  • 29-10-2016 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I think Kilkenny and all the South East gets left out of loads of stuff in the national media which means we miss out on loads of publicity which would give us all a boost.

On loads of things you will see, Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway and then that's it.

To give an example
    The Q-Park website has a tourism write-up on each of the cities it has car parks in - Dublin, Cork, Limerick, even Tralee.

This is Limerick's for example:

"LIMERICK - Park in Parking In Limerick City
    Limerick City, the heart of what us Irish call the Treaty County, is steeped in history. Not only is it where The Treaty of Limerick was signed on October 3rd 1691, fast-forward 323 years and Limerick City was the official City of Culture for 2015 with cultural celebrations taking place all year round.

Limerick has many attractions from the medieval King John's Castle to the home of the world-renowned Munster Rugby in Thomond Park Stadium. There are also many galleries and museums across the city so if one thing is for sure, there is never a shortage of things to see and do in Limerick City. "

Guess what - the Kilkenny one (and the Waterford one) have nothing on it

No Kilkenny Castle, no Medieval Mile, no Nowlan Park for the Kilkenny page, no Viking Triangle, no Home of the Tricolour, no Greenway on the Waterford one.

I think a few emails to their contact page to get them to update their website for the Kilkenny & Waterford attractions would go a long way.

But it's yet another example of how our region is ignored - unless we make our voice heard we will be forgotten and things like this damage our tourism potential as a region!

Post more examples here as you find them!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

JMT2016 wrote: »
    Guess what - the Kilkenny one (and the Waterford one) have nothing on it

No Kilkenny Castle, no Medieval Mile, no Nowlan Park for the Kilkenny page, no Viking Triangle, no Home of the Tricolour, no Greenway on the Waterford one.

But it's yet another example of how our region is ignored - unless we make our voice heard we will be forgotten and things like this damage our tourism potential as a region!
    Yeah, I'm saying that Kilkenny just can't get any tourists, I mean why don't they come here. It's a conspiracy I tell everyone.

The streets in the summer are empty, there's so few visitors to the castle theres talk of having to shut it down. If only we had a champion!

Now I'm off to have a nice big cup of sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Dunno I think Kilkenny does alright with national profile, which has risen notably in recent years. Easy for the Jackeens who love the place to pop down.
    Can't speak for Waterford but I'd say it's profile has risen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

catbear wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm saying that Kilkenny just can't get any tourists, I mean why don't they come here. It's a conspiracy I tell everyone.

The streets in the summer are empty, there's so few visitors to the castle theres talk of having to shut it down. If only we had a champion!

Now I'm off to have a nice big cup of sarcasm.

I don't know. The first thing I check when I go on a foreign city break is what to see and do on the car park website.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Tourism was worth €75.1 million to Kilkenny last year, €45 million of which came from overseas tourists, this does not appear to include people coming down for a vist. Kilkenny was the eight most visited county last year with 267,000 overseas visitors and 228,000 domestic tourists.. 282,000 people paid into Kilkenny castle last year. I'd say tourism is doing OK here.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭JMT2016

Tourism was worth €75.1 million to Kilkenny last year, €45 million of which came from overseas tourists, this does not appear to include people coming down for a vist. Kilkenny was the eight most visited county last year with 267,000 overseas visitors and 228,000 domestic tourists.. 282,000 people paid into Kilkenny castle last year. I'd say tourism is doing OK here.

That's good to hear. No issues here so - we can close the thread ;)

• Advertisement

Rega wrote: »
    I don't know. The first thing I check when I go on a foreign city break is what to see and do on the car park website.

I bet the Lonely Planet guide to the best car parks around the world is a well thumbed book on your shelf.

You're not buying into the narrative Captain Havoc. Because of some car park website it's blatantly obvious to with another agenda that Kilkenny is completely overlooked by them jackeens in da big smoke.

We in kilkenny don't get anything like the tourist numbers that Thurles get!! I tel ya that Lowry knows what's going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Ah now I know where I keep going wrong. When looking for stuff to go see I look at the tourism and events pages. All along I should've been looking at the car park sites, well d'oh to me

Owryan wrote: »
    Ah now I know where I keep going wrong. When looking for stuff to go see I look at the tourism and events pages. All along I should've been looking at the car park sites, well d'oh to me
    I know. When I went to Rome there were all these signs for ancient monuments and archeaology but there weren't many signs for the car parks which is what I really came to see.

Nothing I like more than doing a weekend eurobreak to see new carparks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭JMT2016

catbear wrote: »
    Nothing I like more than doing a weekend eurobreak to see new carparks.

You'll love this so

• Advertisement

You'll love this so
    I knew it, I wasn't alone with my carpark fetish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

You'll love this so

Ah but do any of them have 24 hr cardiac cover?

Advertisement