Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage for baby's things

Options
  • 29-10-2016 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

I'm pregnant at the moment and hoping to get some advice on storage solutions for baby's things.

I'm wondering about two things really. Firstly, what types of storage do people find easy and efficient and, secondly, how much space does the stuff actually take up?

We are planning on using washable nappies and wipes and already have a laundry system sorted but I'm thinking about how best to store the clean ones.

With clothes, am I being over the top wanting to store different things separately, like babygros in one container, vests in another etc? Or is that a good idea to make things easier? I'm assuming baby won't need any hanging space until it's older?

Then there's also muslins, blankets, bedclothes, toys, baby toiletries and probably a million things I haven't thought of.

Baby will be sleeping in a bedside cot in our room and space is very limited. So, are small baskets or boxes a good idea to keep things sorted or are large drawers better? How many and what sizes do people find good? How much space do you need for all of the different things? It's a bit overwhelming when we don't even know how much of each thing we will need!

Any advice would be appreciated and I'm sure it would be good for others as well to have a thread to share ideas about this sort of thing.

I don't know if this is best in the pregnant forum or the newborn one and I don't want to double post so maybe mods can move it where they think it's best?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I was quite limited in space as well with my boy. My experience as a first-timer is: You usually get waaay more stuff than you need in the end, especially during the first year.

I got one of those super slim, high wardrobes from Ikea
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/wardrobes/fitted-wardrobes/pax-wardrobe-white-sandset-white-spr-19025623/

The interior ofc was different but the dimensions were the same. Mine used it til he was 5 and I only sold it because we moved and couldn't take it with us. I never was a fan of the changing tables, I had one, I sold it when he was just 4 months and from then on I changed him on the bed with a changing mat and a big towel. I stored all the hygiene stuff like nappies and Wipes in a box under the bed and just pulled it out with the mat and towel when needed. For me, it was a very good solution and I'm planning on doing so again since we're quite limited in space again.
    There are also small changing tables that you can temporary apply to the top of the cot, looks quite handy as well.

I stored the toys etc. in the cheap Ikea-boxes with wheels and lids. I managed to fit all the muslins and bedclothes in his wardrobe for the first two or three years, after that I just stored it with mine.

Hope I could help a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

We found these really useful in a small space

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/childrens-ikea-products/baby/changing-tables-nursing/nanig-wall-pockets-light-pink-art-60278636/

We store muslins, nappies, bibs, vests etc in them.

Apart from that, the ikea storage boxes are great for clothes, this sort of thing
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/storage-furniture/storage-system/algot-frame-5-boxes-top-shelf-white-spr-29187511/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Hi!

We've used kallax units from ikea. We've a few of these units dotted around the house and I find them so versatile.
    At the moment we have 1 4x2 and 1 2x2 units. Each type of clothing has its own box I.e baby grow in one, vests in another.
    We didn't get a changing unit, but my dad made us a cot top changer. As the cot has a drop down side it didn't last very long, but it fits perfectly (by complete coincidence) on top of the kallax 2x2 and I dunno what I'd do without it.
    One thing I love about the kallax is that we're not tied with where anything goes and I keep moving boxes as our needs change, so things we need at arms reach are there when we need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Boxes can take up a lot of space.

What is great are the vacuum sealable ziploc type plastic bags, similar to these. You put the clothes in, zip it, attach the vacuum and suck out all the air to compress it. Makes them very small and compact for storing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

We didn't have a changing table so I got something like this: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9350012/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+and+furniture%7C14417894/c_2/3%7C15701246%7CStorage+and+shelving%7C14417975/c_3/4%7Ccat_14417975%7CStorage+units+with+drawers%7C14417992.htm

Then put labels on each drawer as to what was in it. Was very effective as then my husband knew exactly where everything was & I was happy because everything had a place.

When they grow out of clothes, vaccum bags are the biz! Just remember to write on them which age group is which cos you won't remember the next time you are looking at them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. There are some great ideas there.

Just updating to say we decided to go with small boxes on open shelving for things we will be using day to day. Each box will have a specific thing eg. babygros in one, vests in another etc. I'm going to make my own fancy labels for them. I'm hoping being that organised will help, especially living in such a small space but I don't know if I'm being unrealistic expecting to stay that organised when the baby is here. Hopefully the limited space in each box will stop me from overbuying because there are way too many cute things out there!

When we eventually move into our house we can get a wardrobe for the clothes and use the boxes for storing toys and books etc. in the baby's room.

We'll probably use the vacuum bag idea for storing outgrown things, sorted by size and kept in the attic for future siblings.

I've been looking at the snuzpod co-sleeping crib and think I'd like to get it. It looks like blankets could all be stored on the bottom shelf part.

We'll use LirW's idea of changing on the bed. We just can't fit a changing area in anywhere.

We also found this idea on pinterest for storing the cloth nappies. It's a good use of narrow, vertical space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

We'll use LirW's idea of changing on the bed. We just can't fit a changing area in anywhere.

Just be careful of your back if you decide to change regularly on the bed. You'd be surprised at how much strain you will feel on your back bending over for those few minutes and having to do it numerous times a day might take it's toll. If you can't fit in a changing table/top, see if you have a space on a counter/table (something higher than a bed) that you can use instead. It doesn't have to be set up permanently as a changing area, but somewhere you can whip out a mat and have all your supplies handy when you need to.

Advertisement