Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hotel recommendation - limerick city?

• 29-10-2016 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Going to Dolans Big Top gig soon at Limerick City Milkmarket - any recommendations for a hotel within easy walking distance? that maybe has parking? TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Limerick city centre is small enough so any of the hotels in the city centre will easily be within walking distance of the Milk Market area.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

bazz26 wrote: »
    Limerick city centre is small enough so any of the hotels in the city centre will easily be within walking distance of the Milk Market area.

thanks ... any recommendation of one over another though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

What's your budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

The George boutique hotel is wonderful, can't fault it at all

myshirt wrote: »
    What's your budget?

mid-range, good value option ... not looking for high end, pool, spa, etc ....won't be spending too much time in it ... there are a few, just wondered if one was better than the other ... or any to avoid! ... like Perys, The Pier, City Hotel, George, Boutique ... thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

holly8 wrote: »
    mid-range, good value option ... not looking for high end, pool, spa, etc ....won't be spending too much time in it ... there are a few, just wondered if one was better than the other ... or any to avoid! ... like Perys, The Pier, City Hotel, George, Boutique ... thanks!

I'm limerick born n bred. I'd personally stay in the George or absolute if set on location. Limerick city hotel, perys and the pier (wasn't sure that was still open) would be more 'budget' hotels for my taste. Obviously the clarion and strand are a bit further away. Then outside the city you have castletroy park, maldron, etc.

There is also a little hotel called the 'boutique hotel' (on Denamrk St) not to be confused with the George boutique hotel. Right around the corner from the gig too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

My recommendation, and I've stayed in both of these, would be the Absolute or the George.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

source wrote: »
    My recommendation, and I've stayed in both of these, would be the Absolute or the George.

+1 both good hotels, if I was to choose probably the George, it's in a better location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i second the george, stay there all the time when working in limerick.
    The restaurant seals it for me, an excellent italian!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Stayed in Pier 1 a night. Not overly plush but clean and comfortable all the same. It was very reasonable value and breakfast included. Within very reasonable walking distance of city centre for most (I appreciate some people don't want to walk the length of themselvesrolleyes.png). If you want a decent but no frills sort place to rest your weary head for the night on a budget I'd recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

George or Strand, or maybe the Absolute would be the best probably.

The Pier, Limerick City Hotel and Pery Best Western are more budget type places, i.e. the kind of places where you're likely to meet hen and stag parties.

Fancier places in the centre are No. 1 Pery (not to be confused with the Pery Best Western) and the Savoy, and the Clarion (which is a bit of a trek away).

will go with the Pier for now, got a good deal and won't be spending any time there to enjoy hotel itself, or not ... hopefully being midweek, will be no stags/hens .... thanks all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

George boutique, the strand, the absolute are all great. George would be the nearest. Stay away from the Limerick City Hotel at all costs, it's right near Dolans but it's an utter kip of a place :eek:

The Clarion is just across the road from Dolans and is fab too :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Stay away from the Limerick City Hotel at all costs, it's right near Dolans but it's an utter kip of a place :eek:

Rubbish! I've stayed there 4 or 5 times over the last 5 years and never had any complaints at all.

There were 2 years when the security guy was really happy to let us in and out in the middle of the night for Darkness Into Light. A nice touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

An File wrote: »
    Rubbish! I've stayed there 4 or 5 times over the last 5 years and never had any complaints at all.

There were 2 years when the security guy was really happy to let us in and out in the middle of the night for Darkness Into Light. A nice touch.

I've been there since it became Limerick City Hotel/McGettigans

Perhaps it is the price of the rooms, I don't know, but when I was in the bar the crowd there was dog rough.

There was an ambulance outside treating a guy who had been struck on the back of the head with a bottle/glass the same night. Security standing around the bar and very tense atmosphere.

Bar service was awful same night.

I couldn't get out of there quick enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I would avoid : Clarion, Limerick City Hotel and Pier One (that place makes me shudder).

My choice would be The Absolute then The Savoy. The Strand would be an option too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

An File wrote: »

I stayed this time last year for a night as we were having work done in our nearby home and I have to disagree with you.

Room was shabby, definitely not family friendly, bathroom was manky as was the telephone receiver which was caked in unitentifiable grease. There was also a big steel hook randomly poking out of the ground by one of the beds with no warning. We got the Bates motel treatment from a very strange man on reception.

Room was absolutely freezing when we got there, even though we had booked a week in advance. No instructions about using the heating so my husband rang reception and was told by the strange man that heating cost an extra fiver a night before laughing manically and hanging up :eek: He then rang our room a minute later and said he had switched the heating on for us :confused:

We had paid extra for breakfast but shouldve just gone to gleesons across the road instead. We paid a tenner a head for a full irish that was barely edible.

I learnt my lesson about cheap hotels that night :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Try the Limerick Hotel (the former Jurys Inn) which is very close by, great bar food and reasonably priced

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Just to throw my oar in in, the Pier hotel aint to bad at all, I quite like the bar and reception staff are sound, they also offer free (limited) parking.

The Clarion is a nice hotel but a bit of a walk into the city centre IMO plus no free parking.

The Boutique Hotel on Denmark street *shudders* is an absolute hole. Maybe my bad luck but it the room was tiny, shower was tiny (and blocked), Tv was tiny and about 15 foot in the air, curtains were useless and almost falling off the wall and to make matters worse the next morning when I told my girlfriend that her hair was all over the bed (under the covers) she informed me that she slept on top of the covers.

The George Boutique on the other hand is a nice Hotel. Nice rooms and good location defo the best I've stayed in down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I'm in agreement with the general consensus here. The Savoy is probably the best in Limerick (also most expensive). Personally, I'd find it hard to separate The Strand, Absolute and The George - all quality hotels IMO, and well located too. Can't comment on Clarion as haven't stayed there, but it is a bit of a trek into town. Pier One isn't all that bad, nothing fancy, basic but it's clean. Limerick City Hotel is an absolute kip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The Absolute is a nice one too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

If your expectations are low enough, if you are looking for unfriendly staff that will not deign to look at you when passing them on your way to the smokers terrace, if you wish to pay for small rooms overpriced rates and if you enjoy a dreary breakfast buffet - then you will find the George a wonderful place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

If your expectations are low enough, if you are looking for unfriendly staff that will not deign to look at you when passing them on your way to the smokers terrace, if you wish to pay for small rooms overpriced rates and if you enjoy a dreary breakfast buffet - then you will find the George a wonderful place.

Ah yes, nothing like a bit of contempt for smokers. Proper order! :pac:

I used to love the Savoy but it has gone noticeably downhill.

The bar is no longer top notch like it used to be, service has dropped as have the cocktails (used to be best in Limerick)

Went to a wedding afters there recently and the food and service was terrible. And they had paid through the nose for what they got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,073 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Any good kid friendly hotels in Limerick, best value?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Bazzer007

My favs are the Savoy if you'd like a bit of 5 star treatment, the Strand, the George and the Absolute. The Savoy, George and the Strand are not too far from Dolan's.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Any good kid friendly hotels in Limerick, best value?

The Strand Hotel is really nice, located along the river, has lovely views, friendly staff and everything (shops, restaurants, pubs, castle, sights) are within walking distance.

The Savoy is also very good (5*) but if you want something cheaper, The George, Absolute or Limerick City hotel would be good options.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Zombie thread. Please don't bump up old threads.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement