Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VMWare - Needing course for exams?

Options
  • 29-10-2016 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Hi There

I am hoping to get some training through work and wondered about VMWare exams and class credit?

VMWare are known for making you pay for an official VMWare certified course before you can sit their exams/get their certs.

But am confused as some sources say the VCA cert can be gotten with no class credit?

The main barrier to me getting a VMWare cert was always gonna be cost so don't want to blow a years training budget on a 2.5k course that gets me a bare entry level associate cert when I could have studied for this at home and then just paid €150 myself to sit the exam?

Basically I need to book the first course-exam pairing on the VMWare certification path that does require the 2.5k spend & if that means paying for the VCA myself first and doing the VCP through works budget then I think thats the best thing to do.

Below is course I was thinking of - But does this entitle me to sit the VCP exam?

- I know you may be thinking - hey just ring and ask but they're closed til Tues and I'd prefer to hear thoughts and good advice on here rathar than accept advice from their sales team/receptionist.

http://www.globalknowledge.ie/courses/vmware/virtualisation/vsicm.html

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,898 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You need the approved course. You can take the exams without it, but you won't get the cert - and any employer who puts value on the cert isn't going to take "I passed the exams" at face value as they'll usually require the certification for various purposes. Some people do the exam for their own purposes, but its not worth it.

That is the correct code for the approved course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Hmmm - VMWare have a VCA cert that anyone can go and get without having to go to the time, trouble and expense of paying 2.5k for a course.

- I had originally thought I'd get an actual VCP out of this course - Not so sure now :(

PS the VCA is the entry level cert but seems to be worthless from what people are saying online - VCP is the only one that'll open a door etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'd do it with Stanley, fraction of the cost.

https://vmware.stanly.edu/waitlist.php

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Delboy5

I'd do it with Stanley, fraction of the cost.

https://vmware.stanly.edu/waitlist.php

Anybody know how long the waitlist is for the above?

Last year it was only about 2 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Anyone know whats the total cost of doing it with Stanley?

It was $185 when I did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It was $185 when I did it.

Hasn't changed
    I got an email this week.
    Is it worth doing?

For me, it was boring as it had nothing in it I didn't already know. But you need the course for the exam, to get the cert, to get past HR etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

For me, it was boring as it had nothing in it I didn't already know. But you need the course for the exam, to get the cert, to get past HR etc etc.

Are the labs online or do you need to set them up on your own PC?

• Advertisement

You are given access into their labs if you want.

Advertisement