Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sideload APK on a Chromebook?

Options
  • 29-10-2016 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if theres an easy way to sideload an apk on a fairly old chromebook these days without wiping it or getting into a load of javasript and other stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

does it have sd card slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Doesnt look like it, surely I can just email the apk to the Gmail account that owns the Chromebook though? Completely clueless about them sorry, want to load an apk that isnt on the Playstore for someone.

If you can extract attachments from email on the device it could work

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I can, what do I do with them though? Clicking on them doesnt do anything. Is there an install app I use or something?

Do you know where they get put when you extract them? I would get a file explorer app if you don't have one and try to run the .apk from within that. I use ES File Explorer. I don't know jack about Chromebooks specifically tho.

edit: you'll probably have to select the settings option that allows installation from 3rd party sources to install an apk not coming from Google

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You need to enable the App setting to allow non-Google Play Store apps, then use a File Manager like Astro to open and install it. Then turn off the sideloading setting again.

Advertisement