Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving a motorcycle during the test

• 29-10-2016 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi Everyone

I am doing the test next week and I've become unclear on a part.

Firstly putting the bike on and off the side stand. Which is the correct approach:
    1) Hold front brake and left handle bar, raise bike, raise side stand, drop side stand, lean bike back onto stand
    2) Hand on left handle bar and rear left pannier rail, raise bike, raise side stand, drop side stand, lean bike back onto stand

Secondly moving the bike forward,
    1) Same as 1 above, but walk the bike forward holding the handle bars prior to dropping side stand
    2) Same as 2 above, but walk the bike forward holding left handlebar and left pannier prior to dropping side stand.

I dont want to pick up an unnecessary mark on something easy so clarification would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

dec_82 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

I am doing the test next week and I've become unclear on a part.

Firstly putting the bike on and off the side stand. Which is the correct approach:
    1) Hold front brake and left handle bar, raise bike, raise side stand, drop side stand, lean bike back onto stand
    2) Hand on left handle bar and rear left pannier rail, raise bike, raise side stand, drop side stand, lean bike back onto stand

Secondly moving the bike forward,
    1) Same as 1 above, but walk the bike forward holding the handle bars prior to dropping side stand
    2) Same as 2 above, but walk the bike forward holding left handlebar and left pannier prior to dropping side stand.

I dont want to pick up an unnecessary mark on something easy so clarification would be much appreciated.

For putting bike on and off Main Stand, Hold left handlebar and left rear side of bike, pulling the rear upwards will enable the bike to swivel up smoothly to the main stand No need to push side stand up, because it may be helpful to leave it down in case bike falls.

For moving the bike, hold the handlebars covering the front brake in case you slip or or you need to stop the bike. Keep the bike angled towards your hip. Its important to LOOK where you intend to move to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Try not to use the main stand. Use the side stand. There is no specific requirement to use the main stand.

When walking forward, or backwards, make sure you do your observations !!!! Look around before walking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dec_82

Many thanks for the info guys

Apologies, I just spotted two technical checks areas I hadnt prepped for, Steering and Reflectors. Struggling to find info online.

I am assuming for reflectors, inspect them for damage and wait till its dark and shine a torch at them?

Steering, ensure the tyre points straight when handlebars are straight and that the bars move freely left and right without obstruction ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Dec 82, You are overthinking all this stuff.
    You cannot fail your test on Theory or Technical checks.
    You CAN fail on : Lack of Safety Glances when needed for safety, Wrong position on the roads, Lack of progress, Wrong reaction to any hazard, etc.

• Advertisement

Cool, well it's tomorrow so fingers crossed I get those bits right :) Cheers for the response.

Thanks for the help guys, I passed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Nice one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

dec_82 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help guys, I passed :)
    You can start fireblade shopping now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

congrats on the pass, you can start shopping for a Harley now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race