Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I killed these now too ?

Options
  • 29-10-2016 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Do these look to be doing poorly ?

They are buxus and seem to be going brown !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rob1air

Hi Rob,

The tips are going brown and that could just be transplant shock you can clip them of at a 45 degree angle. I did notice that in the first photo the roots seemed to be showing which means they can dry out and also be affected by any frost we may get. Not sure but along that wall it could be dry so maybe give them some water. Lastly if your trying to create a hedge along that wall you should really plant about 5 plants per meter to make a nice hedge.

Darren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are not planted deep enough. Dig them out . Dig a bigger hole. Add compost or moss peat. Replant them with the roots actually covered. Dress with some compost and keep well watered. Any browning can be cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Hi Darren, thanks - the lady I bought them from told me no closer than 12 inches apart !

They are not planted deep enough. Dig them out . Dig a bigger hole. Add compost or moss peat. Replant them with the roots actually covered. Dress with some compost and keep well watered. Any browning can be cut off.

this might sound stupid, but could i put a layer of compost down over the whole lot. that was my intention but I havent got around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I have a buxus hedge that is planted in soil that is not great, and in a very exposed location. It goes a bit brownish like that at times, looks like it's going to die, and then most (practically) all of them (there must be 30/40 feet) survive.

I feed them a bit with a shrub fertilizer every so often (or flower fertilizer like baby bio depending on what I have at home !), that brings them back, and they get a trim regularly, when they do all the brown bits go.

They seem pretty sturdy since my hedge has been at that brown/green/brown/green game for a good few years, but I think in this situation, if they're not fully happy with the conditions, they show it, and they grow slower.

Even at a slower pace, with occasional browning, mine have survived the 2010 winter in a very exposed location, in poor soil, so there's hope for yours with a little tlc ? (a very inexperienced gardener 2 cents)

ours are planted very much closer than yours I think, excuse the appearance, I have been completely neglecting them of late :) see the brown bit ? That happens, but they survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 rob1air

To be honest we plant box hedging a lot and if you want to create a nice low lying box hedge that is full from top to bottom you need to plant minimum of 5 plants per m. You could put a layer of peat/compost over the top which will help, but the compost would be better served at the bottom of the hole as box is quite a hungry plant and if you are going to add more box you would be well served to lift your current plants dig a trench and add compost. We are coming into bare root hedging so you should be able to pick up same size plants for €2.00 each well worth it cause as it stands you will be waiting a life time for it to become a hedge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

RobAMerc wrote: »
    this might sound stupid, but could i put a layer of compost down over the whole lot. that was my intention but I havent got around to it.

You'd need to put down a blanket of compost a couple of inches deep across the entire length in that case. It would need to be done sooner rather than later. But I'd personally put them in a proper hole where the roots can develop. Those holes are just too neat and tight on the root ball.

8 inches or 20cm max apart for a box hedge. 10 plants in a 2 metre hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would also suggest that there seems to be a lot of large lumps of concrete in the soil. I should remove the lumps and break the soil down a bit then plant as the others have suggested. That last one looks to be a bit near to the edge of the path.

thanks folks, I am going to seeif I can get a bunch more of them tomorrow.
    If i can I'll dig them out, and replant in a trench filled with compost.

Any idea who'd have them in South Dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I suggest you don't plant them in neat compost, dig compost into the soil. The roots may not spread out of the compost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

You could DIY it although it is not the ideal time! If you have a south facing sheltered spot you might succeed. Or could leave it till early spring.
    Take a few cuttings from each, pot them up, and voilá you have some home grown (small) plants...
    Have a look at this utube example
    https://youtu.be/LPxfyD5U1oI

Advertisement