Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for 21 year old A2

• 29-10-2016 10:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭

have IBT training in 2 weeks and I am thinking about the motorcycle and my top contenders are kawasaki ninja 300 or Yamaha r3. Anyway I wanted to know if any insurance company would even insure me on learners permit, all that I have tried yet asked for registration number to get a quote which I don't have. From your experience what do you think would be the price or would they even quote me? I will be traveling 100km every day so I think a bike under 300cc is unsuitable after watching many reviews about it being too slow so ninja 300 I believe would be perfect for that. Also wanted to ask if I can get insured on it as a second driver same as with a car.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Give them a reg off donedeal.

simple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭M94

listermint wrote: »
    Give them a reg off donedeal.

simple.

Don't have any with the reg on pictures, tried that already

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Call me old-fashioned, but have you actually tried telephoning? I got a 5 or 6 of quotes out of the one call substituting different makes/models to get an idea what I was going to pay before buying another bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Younger brother is in the process of this at the moment. No issue whatsoever in getting a quote on various bikes based off make/model/age/cc/etc etc/.

It is very common as most people starting out will want to stick to a budget so want to factor in Insurance when deciding on what bike to purchase etc.

Try a few more companies during the week and try calling different times to get different people on the other end of the phone. I know you are only getting quotes at this stage, but make sure you ask for the name of the person giving the quote when you have a bike and are going to pursue a policy .

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

I'm 21 and on an A2 permit too. I got a ybr 125 when I was twenty after doing IBT and the best quote I got was 800 from liberty for 3rd party only.

My renewel was this September and I'd gotten a dirt cheap Kawasaki ER5 and I rang round and was offered around 690 I think from Principal to insure both bikes for third party fire and theft. Carole Nash then rang me and dicked around for about half an hour and came back with 670 and an excess of 100 for each bike (principal's was 200) so I went with them.

So you're lucky you're only getting a bike now because being 21 is great for quotes, the next time it'll drop like that is 25.

Id recommend an older 500 cause itll be cheaper to insure than a newish 300 but that's just me.

Also principal wouldn't haggle at all. CN initially gave me a quote of like 1500 and I laughed at them and they actually rang me back a few days before my renewel to see who I went with and then beat it. Its all pulled out of their arse it seems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement