Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L vest and backpack

• 29-10-2016 11:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭

So you are required to wear L vest while on learners permit does that mean you can't wear a backpack as it will block it? I need a bag since I am a student.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

M94 wrote: »
    So you are required to wear L vest while on learners permit does that mean you can't wear a backpack as it will block it? I need a bag since I am a student.

Put tabard over bag also stick L on it with staples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I wore my L vest over my bag. Never had a problem. Just buy a large enough L vest. Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I wore my L vest never.

Target tbh.

Not that id ever advise anyone else to break the law :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If you're going to wear the vest I wouldn't worry too much about the backpack. A Garda would be taking the piss if they questioned you over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

M94 wrote: »

Get a top box, crashing with a back pack could result in more serious injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

listermint wrote: »
    I wore my L vest never.

Target tbh.

Not that id ever advise anyone else to break the law :)

As a learner for the last 4 months, and 3000km (mostly as a commuter in Dublin) I've always worn my L vest, and never felt a target. I feel cars give me a little extra space.

Ymmv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Cian_ok wrote: »
    As a learner for the last 4 months, and 3000km (mostly as a commuter in Dublin) I've always worn my L vest, and never felt a target. I feel cars give me a little extra space.

Have to agree. I was a learner for a year and a half, and always felt I had more space than I do now. But now I'm more comfortable with less space. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If your bike was quick no need for space ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I definitely got dangerously tailgated with a vest, but I reckon that's cos I was observing the speed limit.

Move at same (illegal) speed as everyone else, problem solved, with or without vest. :rolleyes:

There's a question about whether driving at normal illegal speeds (speed limit + 10% or whatever) in an L vest makes you more or less likely to be an enforcement target than without the vest. I imagine you're more likely to get stopped for a bollocking whilst speeding in a vest. OTOH if you get stopped without a vest the bollocking will be greater cos you're breaking two laws. :pac:

The main irritation with the vest was how flappy it was. They only come in one enormous size.

Someone should make an vest with "...so stop ****ing tailgating me" under the L sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lumen wrote: »

Someone should make an vest with "...so stop ****ing tailgating me" under the L sign.

I'm sure the L, or N, could be worked into this.

polite-cycling-waistcoat-large-image.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

When I wore the vest I would my backpack over it. An instructor said something to me once but that was it. Never had a problem with any Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

pretty sure the rule just says "must be worn over outer clothes"

over the jacket, under the bag is what I do.

Advertisement