Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi's Boyle's gin

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Had my Boyles with M&S diet mango n orange. Grand but can't taste the drink....Presume all the flowers and herbs aren't just to hide the taste.
    Is that a fruit juice? If so, that would be closer to a cocktail, and it will certainly mask the flavour of the gin (in which case, you may as well drink the cheapest gin available). The general accompaniment would be a slice of lemon, or a slice of lime (or if you are particular, a piece of peel from a lemon or lime), typically with some tonic. Last night I had a gin and tonic with some lime peel and star anise. Very tasty! Haven't managed to get my hands on Boyle's gin but that may be my project for today. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Is that a fruit juice? If so, that would be closer to a cocktail, and it will certainly mask the flavour of the gin (in which case, you may as well drink the cheapest gin available). The general accompaniment would be a slice of lemon, or a slice of lime (or if you are particular, a piece of peel from a lemon or lime), typically with some tonic. Last night I had a gin and tonic with some lime peel and star anise. Very tasty! Haven't managed to get my hands on Boyle's gin but that may be my project for today. :)

Sounds like a great project!

I'm suffering with an ear/nose/throat dose and was utterly miserable yesterday. Thought I'd have some gin last night and it completely broke my dose! Gone is the itching, choking, everything feels soft and on the mend.

So I'll have to be having some more later........medicinal ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I mean very high in alcohol content.

It's mixing a spirit with something else alcoholic so don't you get a very strong drink that blows your head off?

Mixing spirits is not an additive process. Mixing a 37.5 or 40% gin with a 15% vermouth does not make a 52.5/55% drink...

Mixing a martini also involves using ice, which melts to produce part of the liquid. The end result is going to be in ~20% ABV range usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

L1011 wrote: »
    Mixing spirits is not an additive process. Mixing a 37.5 or 40% gin with a 15% vermouth does not make a 52.5/55% drink...

Mixing a martini also involves using ice, which melts to produce part of the liquid. The end result is going to be in ~20% ABV range usually.

Eh, it's still going to be stronger than mixing it with tonic! Which also involves using ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Eh, it's still going to be stronger than mixing it with tonic! Which also involves using ice.

It's quite normal to drink whiskey or brandy neat and that would be a lot stronger! It's as always the quantity that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nowhere near blowing the head off levels though. I drink neat chilled Talisker sometimes - 45.8% - and it has no such affects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I got a bottle of it yesterday and paired it with Schweppes tonic small cans (on 50% discount) , ice and lemon

It was divine and so smooth to drink, highly recommend:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

....... wrote: »
    I see LIDL have launched a competitor - Rabbit Island gin - the bottle is very similar to Drumshanbo but without the ridges.

Its 40% and 25 euro a bottle.

Bought a bottle during the week, havent tried it yet.

I dont live near an ALDI so its difficult for me to get my hands on the Boyles - delicious though it is.

Has anyone seen this on the shelves or just in ads/brochures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Has anyone seen this on the shelves or just in ads/brochures?

I picked up a bottle last week but haven't opened it yet as I'm enjoying the bottle of boyles I got before it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭nialldinho

....... wrote: »
    Got it, tried it. Hubby refuses to drink it. It's very sweet. I mean sugary. Not great.

Just did a little taste test between it and the Boyles. It is noticeably sweeter. My wife and I both prefer the Boyles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭bookworms

Just opened my Christmas treat to myself. Bertha's Revenge. Very nice indeed, would highly recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Glad to report that we finally have been able to source corks that fit properly. Should be hitting the shelves any day now.

That took way longer than it should have!

• Advertisement
Advertisement