Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Money Make You Happy

Options
  • 30-10-2016 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hello all,

I had a meal with my family last night, and the topic of money making people happy came up with my mother in law. I am a very open minded person and I know many people will have many different opinions, which is perfectly fine. My mother in law said "yes money does make me happy", as I can buy stuff, go on holidays etc, and all this makes me very happy. I tend to have a different view and outlook on life to others, and in the past this seems to piss people off as they cant seem to understand me or my opinions, so I normally keep my lips sealed and do not get dragged in to pointless debates, especially when there is alcohol involved with the arguing party. Reminds me of what Anthony De Mello once said, "Did you ever hear the story about the farmer who tried teaching his pig how to whistle, well he stoped because he realized that teaching the pig how the whistle is a waste of his time, and only irritates the pig".

For me money will always be a necessity, I need it for food, clothing etc, but as life has progressed I have realized it does not make me happy. I have never had money and as I write this im completely broke, with no savings! The things that make me happy are simple, watching my two dogs play with each other, sitting on the couch with my wife on a Sunday or walking in the woods, watching the sun come up and going down, looking at the stars on a brisk winters nights, going home to visit my family and friends that i haven't seen for awhile, and lately watching my pregnant wife's little bump growing a little bigger every day. This is what make me happy but I tend to get a lot of stick from people, as I am only interested in the internal stuff, rather than the external stuff, but I will soldier on!

Yes I can understand why my mother in law would say money makes her happy. Take getting a new car for example, people are so excited at beginning, the novelty wears off very quickly, and then they move on to the next new thing trying to make themselves happy. I went through all this myself and I found it only to be a temporary cheap thrill, and for me true soul happiness comes form the stuff I mentioned earlier. I do not want to be on my death bed in 50 years from now, looking back on a mis-spent life that was occupied about money making me happy, and missing the most important things that are in front of me that money could never buy. I tell myself if Victor Frankel who spent 4 years refusing to give up his happiness to the Nazi's in Auschwitz during the Holocaust, I can surely have my happiness not dependent on having money.

So my question to you is "Does Money Make You Happy and Why.?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

Hi loved your post money gives people a feeling of superiority over others thats all. The things that make you happy are pure and simple and will always be there so you can always find a little nook of happiness. I get great happiness from my dogs and nature and ireland all the free things you can do and enjoy. I grow vegetables and love cooking with my own garlic how simple and rich . Well done you are an admirable man and your wife is lucky to have you. As for your mother in law they are all the same they want more for their daughters for a sense of one upmanship. `their daughters are an extension of themselves and they will always comment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Great post & is something I am feeling a lot more of recently. I`ve noticed the things that really make me happy or so simple, seeing my wife relaxing on the couch with our dog, a coffee & scone with a friend, simple little things.

I do find that there are other things that give me a sense of fulfillment, but this tends to a bit more fleeting & not actually happiness. You do need money, but how much is the question & at what cost? Friends with a guy on a very good salary & a large family with an expensive lifestyle. He recently quit all his leisure activities basically to do an MBA so that he could earn more money.

This I don't understand. once you reach a certain income more money only brings you better versions of what you already have. You drive a better car, you stay in a nicer hotel, you get a sky TV subscription. The extra time required to earn more money means less time with your family, so you buy them all this stuff to ease your guilt.

The pursuit of money is very tied up in ego I believe. People want to project an image of themselves & feel good about themselves & this is measured by their salary, which manifests itself publicly by their lifestyle.

Someone said to me "money buys experiences, which brings happiness". I think this is BS, once you have enough money to provide security, happiness comes from tiny little things. My sister once splashed out on a massive holiday for her family to Brazil. I asked what the kids thought of it? "They loved watching Portugese cartoons"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Money can only bring happiness if your in the right frame of mind to use it wisely.
    I've seen plenty of examples where money has become destructive with drinking and gambling. But there are also plenty of folk who handle it well and it definitely benifet their life beyond basic requirements.

I think a person needs to be happy and stable first, then maybe money could bring additional opportunities to develop ones self.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Sonas55

I guess that money gives a certain level of comfort. But it is not correlated directly with happiness, because things that make you happy usually cannot be bought anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Garrett81

Hey everyone, I haven't been on here for awhile. Thanks for your opinions, I knew posting something like that would get few responses, it's seems to make people uneasy, but it's great to see I'm not alone. End of the day when we take our last breath we have to leave it all behind anyway so why put so much effort in to something that's really Should not dominate our lives.

Thanks 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,415 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Garrett81 wrote:
    Hey everyone, I haven't been on here for awhile. Thanks for your opinions, I knew posting something like that would get few responses, it's seems to make people uneasy, but it's great to see I'm not alone. End of the day when we take our last breath we have to leave it all behind anyway so why put so much effort in to something that's really Should not dominate our lives.

We're being indoctrinated to think we need to accumulate more wealth, this has advantages and disadvantages, I believe as a whole, the disadvantages are now becoming dominant, globally, as wealth distribution becomes more unequal. Sadly I do think if we continue on this path, it will end our planets abilities to support life, and probably in a very short period

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tattoodude

The feeling of comfort and security that money buys gives me a lot of happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Have thought about this seriously over the past few years and i have to say no.

I am not interested in money.
    Don't get me wrong I'd love to be independently wealthy (in fact i admire people who are) simply because it means you can be exactly that- independent.

And independence is the thing I want most in life. So I can pursue whatever my heart desires. I've thought a lot over the past few years about this and it is so important to know what you want, to know what your desires are, even to a selfish degree. For your own benefit and thus for those around you.

Having said all that, my desires are simple relative to others. I don't want to drive a 2017 seven series or have an overpriced house in D4. Even if I had the money. The house because it's overpriced. The car because I'm not that into cars. Although if a car pleases me aesthetically I'd consider it. But never because of a social expectation. The social expectation trap I am very careful to try not to fall into. As someone above said if it's about ego then it's just a trap and you're not really in control. Not independent but a slave.

Money is important as a tool for good experiences/growing/learning skills. And I'd like to think most of what I desire is relatively simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

If money stops you worrying how you're going to feed your children, pay your bills, heat your house, repair your car and pay for the insurance then yes it makes you happy. It would also be nice to know you had enough money to cover your costs when you're retired. We have a government that is hell bent on taking the last penny from us while lining their own pockets.

People commit suicide because they haven't got enough money and the banks are closing in on them.

Nobody is going to be 100% happy all the time but money makes misery less miserable. A hell of a lot less miserable.

Usually those who say money doesn't make you happy have more than enough money themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

I don't believe that money brings happiness but I do believe that the problems that a lack of money creates do bring unhappiness.

To take an extreme example: if I had no money and no possessions I don't think I could be happy just from enjoying the present moment and the wonder of everyday things knowing that I'd have to sleep in a doorway and beg for money to buy food.

I think that there is a certain amount of income that we all need to fulfill certain needs. The number will differ from person to person depending on their own individual circumstances. Below this value our happiness will be affected. Increasing beyond this number however will not increase our happiness by much, no matter how much we believe it will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Having money to meet any crisis that could hit me, health, family, house etc. makes me very happy. I don't need expensive objects or an exotic lifestyle

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

When I finished school the most important thing in the world to me was to become super 'successful' which at the time I thought meant earning €100k + per year.
    My opinion and perspective has changed a lot in the last few years but I do still think money will bring a form of happiness. At the moment I am living pay check to pay check and it's frustrating! Whilst I no longer want to have a job where I have to spend more time with it than enjoying myself with the people I love I am still working towards a career which will afford me a comfortable living. Relieving the stress of how in the world am I going to pay for any small emergency/ unforeseen event.
    I don't think money will bring true happiness but I do think it will certainly help relieve worry which in itself should make a person happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Garrett81

It's been great reading everyone's responses, thoughts and opinions. I also had great notions of myself and plans of having lots of money so I could be happy. However I also had some sort of change within me that made me think differently. .

For me the things money can provide for me such as a nice house, job, food, healthcare etc only provides me with longevity in my life,to get by and to be very honest none of it mades me truly happy. Money does not make me happy. I would consider myself to have gone through an awful lot and of hard times and finiancal difficulties in my life, and I think it's because of these times I treasure the little things. Presently I'm out of work with a back injury since xmass, in constant pain and waiting for surgery, am housebound, behind on bills etc , and behind all the difficulties in my life happynes is in the background waiting to come out,only if I allow it. Buddha once said it's our mind that creates our world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I think studies have shown (how they measure it, who knows) that if you have none, then increasing your wealth makes you happier (security, basic needs met, etc) but that the graph plateaus after a certain level of comfort. A billionaire isn't a 1000 times happier than a millionaire.

Knowing this has gave me good wisdom. I'm currently financially secure (relatively). I have had to remind myself of the above studies to stop myself continually seeking more as it's basically the law of diminishing returns. Time is now more important to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

I think studies have shown (how they measure it, who knows) that if you have none, then increasing your wealth makes you happier (security, basic needs met, etc) but that the graph plateaus after a certain level of comfort. A billionaire isn't a 1000 times happier than a millionaire.

Knowing this has gave me good wisdom. I'm currently financially secure (relatively). I have had to remind myself of the above studies to stop myself continually seeking more as it's basically the law of diminishing returns. Time is now more important to me.

100% agree as the saying going you either have time or money. I guess it's just about finding that nice balance.

Advertisement