Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's the fastest speed you reached ?

Options
  • 30-10-2016 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

What's the fastest speed you reached on your bike?

Yesterday i clocked my fasted ever, downhill with the wind behind me - > 55kph.

Might not seem like much to seasoned cyclists, but was a tad unnerving for me:o

and you...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Did 60 kmph on a descent on a loaded tourer in the Pyrenees once. It felt very fast.

Did previously get in trouble on a descent on steep hill in California while on a racer. I wasn't going that fast, but was unable to slow. I hit a patch gravel and skidded into ditch.

Point of the story is that lack of control rather than speed can be the most unnerving factor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

70 kph or so down howth hill into the village. Felt amazing, but utterly ridiculous to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

78kph on a descent near Ardcath. It felt great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

75.6km/h heading down into Letterkenny. Would've gone faster if I wasn't using a compact :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

73.1 kph According to Veloviewer (You can filter by speed)

Down a hill called the Dowery. Nearly sure that was the day I couldn't stop for the junction at the end and could have been killed.

I did learn my lesson though.

[edit-yeah, it was that day I couldn't stop]
    A 1080p video of my idiocy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

89kph. Still annoys me that I didn't touch 90 that evening. Old Long Hill, Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

E1YRsXQ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Still the baby of this thread.

I shattered my previous 57kph with an unnoticed at the time 70kph descent from Snowtown on the Singlespeed doing the Great Dublin Bike Ride

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I've tipped 70 once, but quickly remembered the excessively tight turn at the bottom, and slowed down again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

71kmph on one of the hills on the Rebel Tour. Dead straight wide descent so no chance of trouble. Came off at 50k a few years ago and it's not much fun so I'm fairly careful these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

61km/h, in Brittany many years ago, on a long, steep descent, pedalling full speed in the highest gear on my elephantine Dawes; my 15-year-old was racing downhill, and had a steel boule we'd found on the road swinging left and right in one of the panniers, and the pannier was gradually fraying… My terrified shrieks of warning were carried away by the wind. When we got to the bottom I pointed shakily to the pannier; "Ooops!" said the teenager and gifted me the job of carrying the boule.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

78 going into the Naul.

12 going back up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Laundry_Hamper

88.9 on the Portmagee side of Coomanaspic - https://www.strava.com/segments/7061410

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

64kph on the descent from Howth Summit towards Sutton Cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

76kph going up the harbor side of Howth :D:D ~ just kidding of course, it was coming down the grave yard side.

Harbor side was the only time I've cycled backwards :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Managed 68km/h on the Ferndale Road once. Been over 60 a few times, yet to break into the 70's

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

93.2km/h from to veloview going from Dublin to Moate. Second time was 86.4 in Santa Cruz in California. I think thats probably more realistic as I have a note saying I got in a car and forgot to turn the garmin off .

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭alexinkildare

An un-nerving 77kph down the Hill of Tara.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

91kph on a descent in Spain. Fastest in Ireland was 89, coming off the Sally Gap towards Kilbride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

The Garmin recorded 83km/hr one night on the Thursday Grinder on the descent towards Rathmicael ... scary s**t!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

It seems mad that speeds most of us would only see descending the likes of the Long Hill or Howth etc are recorded by the Pros on the flat! I have actually seen my own highest speed descending the Long Hill as an average speed in a flat T.T by Cancellera. Puts things in perspective for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

76 kph on a back road hill. Utter insanity when I think back on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

76 kph on a back road hill. Utter insanity when I think back on it.

It's those back roads are most fun and most insane, as the lack of cars make it feel like a closed road, until you remember that it isn't, and that a car can unexpectedly appear out of nowhere.

91kph on a descent in Spain. Fastest in Ireland was 89, coming off the Sally Gap towards Kilbride.

The Gap Kilbride descent always feels faster than you're actually going too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

71km/h. Nearly washed out on a bend coming off the featherbeds, clipped the line paint, felt a bit loose for a second. A near brown pants moment.

Mycroft H wrote: »
    71km/h. Nearly washed out on a bend coming off the featherbeds, clipped the line paint, felt a bit loose for a second. A near brown pants moment.

AG2Rs kit designers knew what they were doing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

65 kph on the flat on nutgrove avenue and 72 descending the Wicklow gap towards laragh. I think that says enough about my descending courage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

16.7 kph downhill with a tailwind. Never again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Mid 70s. On the London to Brighton Cycle. Coming down the other side of Ditching on The South Downs, hunched over the bike, knees clamped to the cross bar, unfortunately the speed wobbles put the fear into me. Anyone braking ahead or a bump would have sent me flying.
    Deagol wrote: »
    75.6km/h heading down into Letterkenny. Would've gone faster if I wasn't using a compact :)

Lurkybrack Hill? Have hit the low 70s coming down there as well.Think the weather slowed me that day.

Advertisement