Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's the fastest speed you reached ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Avg Max
    Speed 24.8km/h 84.2km/h
    Elapsed Time 5:26:41

84.2kmph on a descent in Spain, short enough descent and if I had more road think I would have 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Lurkybrack Hill? Have hit the low 70s coming down there as well.Think the weather slowed me that day.

No idea, was doing Mizen to Malin cycle and coming into Letterkenny on the N13 main road I started going very fast and passed out everyone else on the cycle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

132kph in Austria.

Edit: 136.8kph in Austria or so Strava tells me anyway!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i haven't hit that speed in the car in many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

79.8kmph down Lurgybrack heading into Letterkenny about 2 years ago. Totally scared the crap out of me and haven't allowed the bike over 60kmph down it ever since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭G1032

67.3 km/hr somewhere in Mayo on a "Windy, wet, horrible morning"

So that sounds like it was a really smart thing to do

https://www.strava.com/activities/527970131

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I hit 81kph coming down Bellowstown hill. It's no the best road to do it but it adds to the burst of adrenaline ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

fastest i can find on strava is 69.5, howth summit down to sutton.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

89.3kph last year in France. 99kph couple of years ago in Czech Republic but that one was on non GPS computer so I don't know how accurate that was. Mid 70s quite often on Sunday spins. Averaged 65kmh over a 1 km stretch of flat road, behind bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

86 kph coming down Col d'Izoard 2 years ago. There's a couple of decent long straight bits between the hairpins, 90+ definitely achievable if no traffic.

• Advertisement

81.4 kph, Wicklow Gap. Cracking day out. Buddy with me got 81.9 kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Doc07

78km on the 'mini Sliabh Mann' before real Sliabh Mann on WW200.
    Usually much closer to 60 as I'm a nervy descender.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

today 66 kmh on a short descent on our club championship, ever about 55mph on holme moss (also pre gps days) bottle goes these days in the high 70's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

73.1 kph According to Veloviewer (You can filter by speed)

Down a hill called the Dowery. Nearly sure that was the day I couldn't stop for the junction at the end and could have been killed.

I did learn my lesson though.

[edit-yeah, it was that day I couldn't stop]
    A 1080p video of my idiocy

Impressive resolution on that camera. What is it?

A mate of mine blew through that junction once unable to stop. Grace of God there wasn't anything coming across him!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

72kph coming off Wicklow gap towards Valleymount. Regularly in the mid 60s bur very rarely touch 70. Scarey moment once with a car pulling out on the old long hill has removed that as one of my faster descents.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Mine was 72 on wicklow gap.might of been going a bit faster but was afraid to look down again at the cat-eye speedo I had at the time.

I did learn my lesson though.

[edit-yeah, it was that day I couldn't stop]
    A 1080p video of my idiocy
    you were impressively silent during emergency braking.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 alanjgalbraith

90.7kph on Zwift dropping off the mountain on Watopia .. Super scary!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Max Rockatansky

94kph descending Col du Glandon. In Ireland 90kph descending Sliabh Bui.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

79.8kmph down Lurgybrack heading into Letterkenny about 2 years ago. Totally scared the crap out of me and haven't allowed the bike over 60kmph down it ever since.

I hit near 60mph on it a few years back. Great tailwind coming so I went for it at mc daids. Got the draft off a lorry and passed him on the descent. Thought I was going to run out of road at the bottom but got away it!

Hit 80ish kph on the descent of o connor pass on a closed road a couple years ago.

Happy to hit 60kph these days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

fat bloke wrote: »
    Impressive resolution on that camera. What is it?

A mate of mine blew through that junction once unable to stop. Grace of God there wasn't anything coming across him!

Garmin Virb (The original one, non-elite)

I was blessed too. I shot onto the "main" road and I was lucky there wasn't a car/lorry/tour bus using the road.

Suffice is to say I learnt a lesson that day. I wouldn't mind but I'm generally a pussy descending. As much as my face is what it is, I still like all the skin attached to it.
    you were impressively silent during emergency braking.

I pray a lot in my head :) Plus the mic on the garmin Virb isn't very good, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Deagol wrote: »
    75.6km/h heading down into Letterkenny. Would've gone faster if I wasn't using a compact :)
    Deagol wrote: »
    No idea, was doing Mizen to Malin cycle and coming into Letterkenny on the N13 main road I started going very fast and passed out everyone else on the cycle :)
    Lurgybrack to the Dry Arch roundabout is also my fastest that I know of - 79.9km/h. Lovely piece of road - straight, smooth, wide, excellent visibility and very few houses/entrances etc. Cursing my compact that day - legs spinning like a food mixer! https://www.strava.com/activities/599736229
    cajonlardo wrote: »
    ... I have actually seen my own highest speed descending the Long Hill as an average speed in a flat T.T by Cancellera. Puts things in perspective for me anyway.
    Love it and hate it in equal measure. If only they could move that farmyard entrance on the left half way down. I'm usually quietly praying no one emerges as I approach it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Fastest I can find is 73.5km off the descent from Mt Mellary which if anyone knows it is horrible, have 4th overall on it but don't think I'll ever get quicker as it's very dangerous,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

73kph going down the sweep into dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

Hit 92kph coming down cromwellstown hill in Kilteel (Kildare) That was last year when I was 16 and 65kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

50 mph / 80 kmh at the Giro Gran Fondo NI this year... closed roads are just the best thing.

sod the who has gone fastest, i'd like to know who has crashed at the highest speed. if they can still type.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

sod the who has gone fastest, i'd like to know who has crashed at the highest speed. if they can still type.

Descending Mahon Falls, overshot bend before cattle grid n head on into a wall, mighty slow but body & bike survived.... Unsure of speed but it was a big hit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

87kmh going out of Rathfriland towards Banbridge.

As for fasted crash only 43kmh into a German Shepherd who didn't flinch an inch while I carthweeled over the handlebars cracking my good Specialized Pro helmet but luckily came away unhurt. Dog owner didn't have a lead on the dog while he was walking it but did have a lead on his pet GOAT. Poor fella was obviously a bit touched in the head as he hid in a field after I crashed in plain sight of us through the bare hedge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fastest crash was when I T-boned a right turning car across my path - Strava shows I went from 43km/h to 0 in an instant! :D

Advertisement