Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's the fastest speed you reached ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Is there a way to find your fastest speed on strava?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Charlie69

95 kmh descending off Mt Ventoux to Malaucene.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Fastest I can find is 57kmph. Quite happy to keep it that way too for the time being. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭secman

In recent years 68 kmph coming down off Croghan, sure I went faster in the day off one of the gaps, would have been mph, can't remember, an age thing :)

Fastest crash was doing about 30 mph in a group of 7 heading into blessington , one guy fell asleep , touched wheels, caused the crash and was the only one to stay up. My bike was about 3 weeks old, could have cried. No breaks just usual crusty arse for about a week :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

secman wrote: »
    one guy fell asleep
    colour me impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

83+ km/h off spelga dam giro Granfondo ni,started getting speed wobbles had to back off.seen the white lights in the tunnel!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

61.9km/h descending Knockmaroon Hill into Chapelizod, apparently faster than a descent from Howth by 0.3km/h. What was I thinking? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Weepsie wrote: »
    70 kph or so down howth hill into the village. Felt amazing, but utterly ridiculous to be honest

Hit 76 kph on Howth Hill and slowed when I started wobbling :eek:

Hybrid bike too, none of your drop bars for me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

longshanks wrote: »
    Is there a way to find your fastest speed on strava?

Is there a way to get strava working at all? I can't get it to record runs on an iPhone; this modern technology (mutters).

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Fastest ever is 74.5kmh Luggala towards Roundwood. This year's is 68.1kmh on the Long Hill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

87.1kph according to strava on my only time descending the Wicklow Gap into Laragh. Pretty sure at one stage the gamin was showing low 90s at a quick glance didn't have time for a second! Would have probably gone faster but a car braked hard in front of me on the previous bend and I'd lost a lot of momentum before then over taking him when the road straightened out! Must get back when I'm fit again to give it a proper go.

Fastest crash was at about 50kph slid out in the wet on a decent on the Tour de Burren a good few years ago. Slid across the road really lucky nothing was coming up the hill. Tore the side of my arse and thigh and took a few lumps out of the knuckle of my little finger and elbow. Still got back on and rode the 30k or so left to the finish! Really lost my bottle descending for a several months after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

78ish kph coming down a coastal mountain in Southern Spain although I can't for the life of me remember where specifically. Road was wonderful and sweeping. I was fully loaded for touring and was a great decent with a mate after the slog up the other side. Didn't seem 'fast' at the time although I can imagine the sh*t I'd have made of myself had I come off.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

First day on a bike in 9 years today and I hit 50 according to strava on my giant propel 2 on a trip from D12 to intel and back. Was my fist time ever using gears on a road bike along with cleats. Enjoyed every second of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I hit near 60mph on it a few years back. Great tailwind coming so I went for it at mc daids. Got the draft off a lorry and passed him on the descent. Thought I was going to run out of road at the bottom but got away it!

Hit 80ish kph on the descent of o connor pass on a closed road a couple years ago.

Happy to hit 60kph these days!

At least you have the gravel trap at the bottom. Although wouldn't fancy hitting it, and going from 70 to zero in an instant.

At least if roadis clear, you would have a good sweeping 90 degree left at the bottom, although wouldn't fancy that at speed either.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    ...At least if roadis clear, you would have a good sweeping 90 degree left at the bottom, although wouldn't fancy that at speed either.

It was tight going years ago when you had to negotiate the arch at the bottom - no sweeping left handers then!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Fastest crash was when I T-boned a right turning car across my path - Strava shows I went from 43km/h to 0 in an instant! :D
    My first was at 40, 2nd at 44 and 3rd at 50km/h (50 to zero in 3s per the Garmin) - guess there's some room for improvement....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

My first was at 40, 2nd at 44 and 3rd at 50km/h

Your first what?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Alek wrote:
    Your first what?

Speeds at which he has crashed would be my guess. From reading another thread beasty had a bad one not too long ago.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Speeds at which he has crashed would be my guess. From reading another thread beasty had a bad one not too long ago.

That's the first I've heard of it..

From reading another thread beasty had a bad one not too long ago.

Haha, gotcha :D

Its a long running joke in cycling forum... Beasty's accident was discussed ad nauseam, and re-surfaced so many times that most readers decided it will be better to simply erase this fact from the memory;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Alek wrote: »
    Haha, gotcha :D

Its a long running joke in cycling forum... Beasty's accident was discussed ad nauseam, and re-surfaced so many times that most readers decided it will be better to simply erase this fact from the memory;)

But, from whose memory, exactly?

I can't remember, really.

It was tight going years ago when you had to negotiate the arch at the bottom - no sweeping left handers then!

Well the Arch is still there. Could take the turn in the right lane and hit the apex if the road clear.

Well the Arch is still there. Could take the turn in the right lane and hit the apex if the road clear.

Wasn't it demolished in the mid 1980's for road widening?

Wasn't it demolished in the mid 1980's for road widening?

There is a two lane approach towards the roundabout and a two lane exit to the left going into LK. There certainly was work and improvements done, not sure when though. The roundabout it's self is still known as The Dry Arch, and has an Arch structure/monument on it.

There is a two lane approach towards the roundabout and a two lane exit to the left going into LK. There certainly was work and improvements done, not sure when though. The roundabout it's self is still known as The Dry Arch, and has an Arch structure/monument on it.
    That arch is only a replica. There used to be a T junction there before the dual carriageway and roundabout were constructed. When descending towards the T junction you had to go under the railway arch before turning left for Letterkenny.

https://twitter.com/govisitlk/status/735821510049435649

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Weepsie wrote: »
    70 kph or so down howth hill into the village. Felt amazing, but utterly ridiculous to be honest
    Fastest crash was when I T-boned a right turning car across my path - Strava shows I went from 43km/h to 0 in an instant! :D

A combination of these two describes my fastest crash. Fortunately I had managed to burn off some speed before hitting at 34kph. Gradient on the Garmin went from -12% to +38%. Would not recommend it.
    sod the who has gone fastest, i'd like to know who has crashed at the highest speed. if they can still type.

Was going to post the same question when I first saw this thread. I suspect typing would be a fantastic achievement for the "winner" of this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Hit 66kmph today on my 29er on a steep descent. That was just rolling, no pedalling. It felt remarkably stable and safe and I would have let it roll on faster except I was approaching a tight bend and the roads were wet so didn't want to risk it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    132kph in Austria.

Edit: 136.8kph in Austria or so Strava tells me anyway!
    But... *how???*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

In recent times I managed 73.1km/h on the downhill at Coolieragh on the Beara Penninsula.

I did manage faster 20+ years ago but that was in the days before the internet. But I do remember my Cateye topping 88km/h at Bohernabreena in the 1980s.

Advertisement