Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's the fastest speed you reached ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

longshanks wrote: »
    Is there a way to find your fastest speed on strava?

Not sure about Strava but it's possible on Garmin Connect. Select 'Reports' the choose the 'All Days' option. Max speed will be at the bottom of the list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

crosstownk wrote: »
    But I do remember my Cateye topping 88km/h at Bohernabreena in the 1980s.
    bollocks. we didn't do metric in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

bollocks. we didn't do metric in the 80s.

I did. I was born Euro. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Coming off The Vee in the Knockmealdowns, hit 72kph on the road bike averaging 60kph over a 1.8km stretch. Only 2 secs slower on my MTB (with slicks on) - the extra weight really does make you faster.

They ran a gravity race down the Vee in August over a 6km stretch, some craic but hairy at times sharing the road with luges and drift trikes. Only hit 50kph on that and had to sit up as I got a major speed wobble due to the weights I'd strapped on the back of the bike!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Hit 80 coming down the Wicklow Gap toward Laragh, could have gone faster but I'd taken it handy at the start before deciding to give it the beans.

I'd thought this was my fastest but strava has me hitting 84 coming down Shankhill road toward Ballinscorney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

davef1000 wrote: »
    But... *how???*

More likely because of Strava. My top strava speed is near 100kph during the Orwell Randonnee last year is the pouring rain. I know that i barely reached 60 that day because of the rain. Never believe your strava top speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Not sure about Strava but it's possible on Garmin Connect. Select 'Reports' the choose the 'All Days' option. Max speed will be at the bottom of the list.
    Just tried that - giving me 109.9km/h! :eek:

Presumably a glitch from descending via Alpine tunnels which seems to affect readings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it possibly stores the last known position, and then updates it as soon as it gets lock again, which means you magically leap from one end of the tunnel to the other in a near instant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

75.7 km/hr dropping down into the Naul - great craic until you start thinking about what would happen if you had an 'involuntary dismount' at that speed!!

Scariest speed was coming down from Sally Gap and a speed wobble ('spontaneous steering oscillation') started - I became an unlapsed Catholic in about a nano-second :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Thud

sod the who has gone fastest, i'd like to know who has crashed at the highest speed. if they can still type.
    max 79.2 on Luggala descent
    crashed at 58kph coming down Kilmashogue, should have been broken up but luckily just slid down the road a bit, bib shorts melted into a sort of solid plastic from the friction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thud wrote: »
    max 79.2 on Luggala descent..
    Janos Kohler maxed at 101.9km/h on that earlier this year (averaging 76).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Had 85kph courtesy of Strava on a descent of the Galibier ; reality was more likely 70kph as per Garmin. Coverage was a bit patchy.

Fastest ever was 78kph on a descent in the Leinster loop. I had picked up some speed and when I looked down and saw 72kph and by the time I plucked up the courage to gingerly pull on the brakes I had gone up to 78kph.

I'm trying to keep it below sixty these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

How do yis get your max speed from Strava, is it possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

did 78kph coming down the manor kilbride side of sally gap a few years ago, bike hopping as i took the 'gentle' right hander. it didn't feel so gentle that day!

according to strava i only hit 73.4kph descending the stelvio pass on the bormio side :( guess all the steeper bits are short stretches between hairpins whereby the long straight-ish stretches are more like 4-6%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

82 kmph on closed roads in Italy, I think the fastest I recall here in Eire is 75-76 kmph coming down Ballinascorney. That's a great descent for carrying some speed into the really steep part, but its short.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I think my top was also in Ballinascorney, 72kph or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

bazermc wrote: »
    How do yis get your max speed from Strava, is it possible?

The reporting capabilities on Strava are not as advanced as the Garmin connect reports. I've yet to find a way of say "ranking all my cycles on by Max speed" or other metrics on Strava.

There are probably add-on features developed by independent developers to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

jon1981 wrote: »
    The reporting capabilities on Strava are not as advanced as the Garmin connect reports. I've yet to find a way of say "ranking all my cycles on by Max speed" or other metrics on Strava.

There are probably add-on features developed by independent developers to do this.
    Have you tried StravistiX ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Just tried that - giving me 109.9km/h! :eek:

Presumably a glitch from descending via Alpine tunnels which seems to affect readings.

Exactly that! Sadly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

An actual* 82kph coming off Spelga Dam to Kilkeel, Co. Down. On the Thorn, steady as a rock, lovely open sightlines and decent road surface...

*As recorded by a magnet on my spoke, no gps guessing involved...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

this actually gives me a max speed of 209.8km/h :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

64km/h on the old long hill, according to my phone app, so it might not be fully reliable.

My brother was behind me that day, he tells me that when I did start braking for the turn to Enniskerry there were sparks flying off the disc brakes.

That was actually on a hybrid rather than my road bike, I am a wimp about descending but a hybrid feels more stable for me than my road bike. I am less worried about hitting a bump and having the bike topple. also i have horrible memories about a speed wobble coming back from the sally gap, which happened on my previous road bike. I am consequently more nervous on a road bike so once i start getting too fast i start braking on the straight parts. Do the same coming down from the wicklow gap.

There is a nice hill coming from Enniskerry to Kiltiernan that feels faster than that day on the long hill, but I guess it is actually too short to build up that much speed. I just love that you can fly down it and then fly up the hill into kiltiernan in top gear. Nothing like facing into a hill to push me into overcoming my cowardice and building up full speed on the descent coming into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I managed 79.9 twice in the town I grew up in, in a fortnight, back when I was young and irresponsible
    using a cateye spokemagnet speedo thing. There's speedramps there now. ( not saying theyre related, just I won't be going that fast there again.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

cdaly_ wrote: »
    *As recorded by a magnet on my spoke, no gps guessing involved...

isn't that the most accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

philstar wrote: »

Ah he's terribly self-deprecating so he couldn't possibly confirm that.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Thanks, I tried the above and got a max speed of 72.7 km/h.
    Now I'll have to try beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

this actually gives me a max speed of 209.8km/h :cool:

Gave me over 150kmh, seems to have known my start point and missed a few kms then caught up so it counted the whole 3-5km stretch traveled quickly at 150 rather than a steady 30.

Taking that out its 69.2 which Im pretty sure was a turbo with a magnet sensor, during a one hour 80% + session with a series of 10 second sprints on the end. Was targeting breaking 500W (estimate on Tacx Flow) when I hit that speed

Fastest on a road was 62 on the lap de gaps sportive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

philstar wrote: »

Yep.

OTOH, during the Antrim 300, my gps sent me off to the Bandhagoda Forest in eastern India adding an extra 2000km to the spin...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Garmin recorded me going at 120km/h once....

....someone must have thought it was safer in the bag alongside me and the ambulance driver was probably in a bit of a hurry to get me to hospital

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

A not that fast 51.4 km/h. Felt pretty fast!

Advertisement