Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York in December & ESTA

Options
  • 30-10-2016 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks.

My wife and I are going to NYC for a few nights in December and Im wondering about the ESTA requirements.

We were in Vegas last year so had to get it so Im wondering if we need to update it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

It should be valid for two years.

You can check it on the 'genuine' ESTA site for free -

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

That will give you the expiry date.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,357 ✭✭✭✭8-10

They implemented the new rule this year that everybody travelling on esta needs one of the newer 'chip' passports with the symbol on the front. Most in Ireland would have these passports but just worth noting in case you had an older one

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

8-10 wrote: »
    They implemented the new rule this year that everybody travelling on esta needs one of the newer 'chip' passports with the symbol on the front. Most in Ireland would have these passports but just worth noting in case you had an older one

The last of the old passports ineligible for travel to the US have now expired, they were issued up to the middle of October 2006.

ESTA approval expires after two years or when your passport expires, whichever happens first so if the OP and his wife have not renewed their passports in the meantime, the ESTA that got them in last year will still be current, assuming they applied for that ESTA in 2015.

Note also that the ESTA only has to be current on the day you enter the US, it doesn't matter if it expires while you are in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,357 ✭✭✭✭8-10

coylemj wrote: »
    The last of the old passports ineligible for travel to the US have now expired, they were issued up to the middle of October 2006.

Ah good stuff I thought it was close alright. My last was issued summer of 2006 so I must have been on one of the last of the old ones before renewing last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Thanks folks.

Both applications are in date.

Do I need to print anything off to bring with us or will their system have a record?

I cant recall what we did last time we flew.

TIA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

All you need is your passport, the ESTA is linked to it.

Advertisement