Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dons

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Why would you go to watch one of those teams if you have no connection to them.

facepalm.jpg

So a club is formed in Dublin and it would enter the leagues in a country exiting the EU, where one club would move down to enable it enter the top division?

For extra popularity they should put a unicorn in goal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Go watch Rovers, Pats, Bohs, Shels or any of the other Dublin clubs maybe?
    Why would you go to watch one of those teams if you have no connection to them.

What connection would you have to Dublin Franchise FC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Omackeral wrote: »
    What connection would you have to Dublin Franchise FC?

None.

But if there was a a Dublin Franchise playing in the premier league you would go because you were going to a premier league match and the younger fans would then become the core fans base with a genuine connection because they had been going all their lives.

There is no glamour in going to watch small clubs play each other in a small ground with barely anybody in attendance, it's much more attractive proposition going to watch a match in a big league featuring star names.

Obviously it would never happen but if there was a Dublin franchise in the English Premier league it would almost certainly be successful in attracting fans.Look at Leinster, Munster,Connacht and Ulster in rugby.All effectively franchises but with a good competition to play in they have been able to attract a fan base.Something similar in soccer would be even more successful.

I honestly think some people believe that there must be a degree of misery and punishment involved in supporting a team rather than it simply being a hobby and an enjoyable to spend a day out which is pretty much what it would be for a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

None.

But if there was a a Dublin Franchise playing in the premier league you would go because you were going to a premier league match and the younger fans would then become the core fans base with a genuine connection because they had been going all their lives.

There is no glamour in going to watch small clubs play each other in a small ground with barely anybody in attendance, it's much more attractive proposition going to watch a match in a big league featuring star names.

Obviously it would never happen but if there was a Dublin franchise in the English Premier league it would almost certainly be successful in attracting fans.Look at Leinster, Munster,Connacht and Ulster in rugby.All effectively franchises but with a good competition to play in they have been able to attract a fan base.Something similar in soccer would be even more successful.

I honestly think some people believe that there must be a degree of misery and punishment involved in supporting a team rather than it simply being a hobby and an enjoyable to spend a day out which is pretty much what it would be for a lot of people.

That's it in a nutshell.

So a club is formed in Dublin and it would enter the leagues in a country exiting the EU, where one club would move down to enable it enter the top division?

For extra popularity they should put a unicorn in goal...

No
    A club would be moved from south London to Dublin and still play in the league/division they played in in south London

That was the plan, but they did not move to Dublin, they moved to Milton Keynes instead.

The Dublin plan had real traction, it was vetoed by Fifa and the FAI, but it acygot far enough to be vetoed.

I'm just wondering what happens if the team falls down to League 1 or 2? Where's the glamour there? People aren't gonna come out to see Chesterfield as an attraction and a day out. Basically if they're not playing at the tippy top it fails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'm just wondering what happens if the team falls down to League 1 or 2? Where's the glamour there? People aren't gonna come out to see Chesterfield as an attraction and a day out. Basically if they're not playing at the tippy top it fails.

But they'll still have good toilets, that'll be the main reason they keep raking the crowds in.

facepalm.jpg

Well can you please explain why you would go to watch these teams play if you have no attachment to them i.e from the area, family ties etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Well can you please explain why you would go to watch these teams play if you have no attachment to them i.e from the area, family ties etc.

I go to matches because I want to watch live football in a stadium. Season ticket holder in Tallaght, no connections, live in kilkenny and from kilkenny.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Because they enjoy watching live football at the highest level within the country. Pats fan from Kilkenny.

I'm a Bohs man but I'd often go to see Pats play at home if Bohs are playing in Donegal and I can't get a half day to travel up. Also have been to see Dundalk play in Europe and am going to the FAI Cup final on Sunday despite my team not being involved. Some people just enjoy going to football on a regular basis. Do it enough and you end up with an attachment.

I go to matches because I want to watch live football in a stadium. Season ticket holder in Tallaght, no connections, live in kilkenny and from kilkenny.

The majority of people aren't as obsessed with the game.They need some reason to attend if you don't have some real attachment then why would people go to the bother of going to a game.That applies to the majority of sports fans.The LOI doesn't cater for a large amount of people throughout the country because they don't have a local team to support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

The majority of people aren't as obsessed with the game.They need some reason to attend if you don't have some real attachment then why would people go to the bother of going to a game.That applies to the majority of sports fans.The LOI doesn't cater for a large amount of people throughout the country because they don't have a local team to support.

The problem with that is when a lot of counties had LOI teams such as Kilkenny, Monaghan, Kildare, Tipperary or the possibility of getting a LOI team through the A Championship like Kerry, Mayo, Offaly, Carlow and Laois, the local people just didn't support the teams in these counties. Thats nine more counties that could have teams and would have a much better geographical spread in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Although a few weeks late, I just thought I'd create a thread to say how great it was to see Wimbledon pass out MK Dons in the footballing pyramid for the first time since their reformation. I can only imagine how sweet it was for their fans, even though most would claim not to recognise the existence of the horrible Franchise FC. If the season continues to go the way its going, the Dons could be looking at a promotion, while MK could be getting relegated. It's hard to comprehend the magnitude of what Wimbledon have achieved by starting from scratch and catching a heavily funded MK and passing them out, yet in a year the Dons could potentially be 2 divisions ahead. The stuff of fairy tales, but alas, better not get too far ahead of ourselves

I've looked at MK message boards over the years and their fans really did look sneeringly down their nose on AFC Wimbledon as a mickey mouse outfit and never really gave them any respect. So it must really hurt those MK supporters to see Wimbledon fly by them in the footballing pyramid. And the worst club in England should do the honorable thing and drop "Dons" from their name, but it seems the MK fans don't want to just so they can lord it over the Wimbledon fans. Just a horrible club from the corporate top right down to the fans.

Anyone know much about AFC Wimbledon in terms of the more intricate details of their existence? For example, when MK were forced to hand Wimbledon FC's trophies and properties back to Merton Borough, were the trophies originally handed to AFC Wimbledon who decided to put them in a library in Merton, or was it done so AFC Wimbledon purposefully couldn't get their hands on the trophies? If MK were forced to give up Wimbledon FC's history and are only recognised as a new club since 2004, will AFC ever be allowed to revert to the "Wimbledon FC" name and use the old badge and be seen as an official continuity since the properties of Wimbledon FC are now defunct and not owned by MK? Or is there even a legal road they can go down to do that? And what is the story with the dog track that they want to knock down and move into in Merton? That still up in the air too?

All in all, great to see the Wombles flying high again

you don't half talk a load of rubbish for someone that has absolutely no connection with either of the teams or indeed the areas they come from.
    Spurred on no doubt by the sensationalist headlines and some weird twisted feeling of injustice...you are indeed a "franchise anti supporter"

Now I will put you straight on a few things, you see because I actually lived in Milton Keynes for most of my life.
    In fact I come from Bletchley, the main town in the area that was eventually designated as the new city Milton Keynes, built to take the overspill from London and for all its faults, it gave a lot of people real family homes rather than small over priced old houses in dirty London town, but that's another story\misconception on the evil of Milton Keynes.

The first team I ever saw play and supported was Bletchley Town FC in their orange and white shirts playing at Manor Fields.
    My father was actually treasurer and I remember him counting the money out in front of the fireplace
    Bletchley at the time being a small farming town,
    Anyway, long story short, Milton Keynes happened, and Bletchley changed its name to Milton Keynes City in 1974 but they still never amounted to much and eventually folded

Now the interesting thing about this time was that a certain Ron Noades actually bought MK City and all its debts and had discussions with the MK city planers about moving to the proposed stadium site, all this some 20 years before it actually happened. His plan was to merge the two clubs but thought they wouldn't get the attendances and gave up on the idea.

Fast forward to the taylor report and having to have all seater stadiums and Wimbledon had to look for a new home. But no local investment was forthcoming so they ended up ground sharing for a decade
    And Wimbledon was never sold out for every home match either, another inconvenient fact for the franchise bashers

(The Wimbledon chairman Charles Koppel insisted yesterday that the south London club are in a good state of health despite having staged the First Division's worst-attended match ever.
    Only 849 people turned up at Selhurst Park on Tuesday night to watch Wimbledon beat Rotherham 2-1 - and 227 of those were away fans. )
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2002/oct/31/newsstory.sport3

And don't forget, they nearly moved to Dublin!
    https://www.balls.ie/football/balls-remembers-complete-story-wimbledon-almost-came-dublin/135956

I bet you and a good few others would have rocked up to see them play Liverpool or Utd!

So, without going on and on any further, its simply not true that many don't want to drop the Dons bit. I was also a steward when they were in the Hockey Stadium and most supporters I talked to were embarrassed about it and they just wanted to watch some decent football against league opposition.

And when all is said and done that's what Winkleman has provided, a bloody good stadium despite being a smarmy git, he is actually quite passionate about the club

They are many villains in creating franchise football and this lists most of them!
    http://truthaboutfranchisefc.blogspot.ie/2011/09/guilty-parties.html

They are not a horrible club and certainly not from top to the fans, have you actually met any of them? They are normal fans. They all want what's best for the club just as it is. That was an absurd statement.
    Especially coming from someone who probably doesn't support his own local teams and instead supports an English club. The irony is that irish teams are just like afc Wimbledon so why not support one of them?

I saw some great games in Milton Keynes, the relegation battle under danny Wilson being the most memorable. 2 late winning cracking goals for MK, an Erica roe type streaker and a pitch invasion, it had it all!

I and many others would love to see the Dons bit dropped and AFC Wimbledon become Wimbledon again.

Milton Keynes didn't kill Wimbledon, Wimbledon killed itself with some help from the council and some dodgy owners and its own fans who stayed away when they needed them most.

But hey, that's not a good panto at all, so people believe the fairy tale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

**** off. If Milton Keynes wanted a team in League Football, they should have had to get there like every other club did. They are a franchise club and always will be. Absolutely no history other than robbing other people of THEIR club.

A football club is nothing without their fans. You can't just up and out and create this brand new entity. It's a mockery to the people of Wimbledon that they still use the Dons part of their name. They have absolutely no attachment to it.

SantryRed wrote: »
    **** off. If Milton Keynes wanted a team in League Football, they should have had to get there like every other club did. They are a franchise club and always will be. Absolutely no history other than robbing other people of THEIR club.

A football club is nothing without their fans. You can't just up and out and create this brand new entity. It's a mockery to the people of Wimbledon that they still use the Dons part of their name. They have absolutely no attachment to it.

LOl, the irony of your post is that you support an English club and you fail to realize that the entire English premiership league is just one big franchise ever since they sold their soul to TV and now have foreign ownership, foreign coaches and foreign players. Pretty much all of whom have no connection to the clubs they are involved in and many of the foreign players are just there for the absurdly high pay packet.

Man Utd a case in point, American owners on a stock exchange of foreign investors and the vast majority of their fans have never set foot in England let alone Manchester

If the Wimbledon supports had actually turned out and supported their club they may not have had to move, you know the tiny inconvenient fact of having the lowest ever attendance, but dont let that get in the way of a good rant about it being "stolen" from them rather than their own indifference let it be taken away. :D

Wake up my friend!

LOl, the irony of your post is that you support an English club

Wake up my friend!

I think SantryRed is a Shels man first and foremost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

LOl, the irony of your post is that you support an English club and you fail to realize that the entire English premiership league is just one big franchise ever since they sold their soul to TV and now have foreign ownership, foreign coaches and foreign players. Pretty much all of whom have no connection to the clubs they are involved in and many of the foreign players are just there for the absurdly high pay packet.

Man Utd a case in point, American owners on a stock exchange of foreign investors and the vast majority of their fans have never set foot in England let alone Manchester

If the Wimbledon supports had actually turned out and supported their club they may not have had to move, you know the tiny inconvenient fact of having the lowest ever attendance, but dont let that get in the way of a good rant about it being "stolen" from them rather than their own indifference let it be taken away. :D

Wake up my friend!

I'm a Shels man first and foremost. And we all know why they had the lowest ever attendance!! Their fans were against the owners!

The same situation is practically happening and Shels right now and everyone is completely disenchanted with the club. I'm not going to another game until the board explain their reasonings for the lies and deception about to Dalymount Park. Does it make me any less of a fan? In my opinion no, but I'm not going to pay in and support the club if they're going to make changes willy nilly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

I'm a Shels man first and foremost. And we all know why they had the lowest ever attendance!! Their fans were against the owners!

The same situation is practically happening and Shels right now and everyone is completely disenchanted with the club. I'm not going to another game until the board explain their reasonings for the lies and deception about to Dalymount Park. Does it make me any less of a fan? In my opinion no, but I'm not going to pay in and support the club if they're going to make changes willy nilly.

What happens if everyone does that and the club folds as a result?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Only 849 people turned up at Selhurst Park on Tuesday night to watch Wimbledon beat Rotherham 2-1 - and 227 of those were away fans. )
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2002/oct/31/newsstory.sport3

Milton Keynes didn't kill Wimbledon, Wimbledon killed itself with some help from the council and some dodgy owners and its own fans who stayed away when they needed them most.
    tale

Wake up my friend!

A couple of days before this match, about 3,500 showed up to an AFC Wimbledon match. They stopped supporting what they felt was no longer their club, instead putting their money into what they felt carried on the true spirit of what they supported.

You can't blame them for that. I can never understand how people can blame the fans for boycotting what they feel is a corrupt/unethical owner who goes against what they feel their club is about. If it gets to the stage where diehard fans whom have supported the club for decades stop going, then chances are the owner isn't acting in the best interests of the club. The supporters shouldn't get any flak whatsoever for doing what they feel right. It's their money, they can do what they want with it.

When City had our financial problems and corrupt owners in 2008 and 2009, some people boycotted and gave money to the supporters' trust instead. I didn't boycott any games myself, as I had a season ticket, but I did boycott merchandise which I normally bought at every match. I, and many others, felt the money was better in the hands of the ST, which was run by fans with a view to taking over the club, than in the hands of some cowboy who proved adept at pissing away hundreds of thousands in the past. That company was insolvent due to its massive debt, but thankfully the club survived via the supporters' trust, not least thanks to money put into it by fans/members.

Now, who do you feel was at fault for the insolvency of the company, first and foremost? The owner/owners who ran the club recklessly or the fans?

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    A couple of days before this match, about 3,500 showed up to an AFC Wimbledon match. They stopped supporting what they felt was no longer their club, instead putting their money into what they felt carried on the true spirit of what they supported.

You can't blame them for that. I can never understand how people can blame the fans for boycotting what they feel is a corrupt/unethical owner who goes against what they feel their club is about. If it gets to the stage where diehard fans whom have supported the club for decades stop going, then chances are the owner isn't acting in the best interests of the club. The supporters shouldn't get any flak whatsoever for doing what they feel right. It's their money, they can do what they want with it.

When City had our financial problems and corrupt owners in 2008 and 2009, some people boycotted and gave money to the supporters' trust instead. I didn't boycott any games myself, as I had a season ticket, but I did boycott merchandise which I normally bought at every match. I, and many others, felt the money was better in the hands of the ST, which was run by fans with a view to taking over the club, than in the hands of some cowboy who proved adept at pissing away hundreds of thousands in the past. That company was insolvent due to its massive debt, but thankfully the club survived via the supporters' trust, not least thanks to money put into it by fans/members.

Now, who do you feel was at fault for the insolvency of the company, first and foremost? The owner/owners who ran the club recklessly or the fans?

I don't think people are necessarily taking a swipe at former Wimbledon FC fans here.

The problem I have is people taking a swipe at MK fans.

Why should they be criticised for following a lower division team in their town.

Kids have grown up with MK being their local club, why should they not get the same respect as any other football league fan ?

Wake up my friend!

What you failed to mention in your post quoting the game with low attendance figures is that the FA panel had already decided the club would be moving to Milton Keynes a whole 4 months previous to that game. The fans had purposely stopped going and the new club was already up and running. 20,000 turning up would have made zero difference. But I guess that wouldn't have fitted in with your 'lowest ever attendance' argument as a stick to beat Wimbledon fans.

On Tod Umptious's point, I certainly wouldn't be one of those who blames MK Dons fans at all. A club was set up in the town, nothing wrong with those going to see them. I only take issue with those who try and rewrite history and make it seem that 'ah those Wimbledon fans should get over it by now' or even those who deny anything wrong happened at all. Absolutely nothing against MK Dons fans at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I don't believe anyone here has a problem with Milton Keynes football fans, or the people of Milton Keynes in general. More power to them for having their football team.

I think the problem some people have with the set up of the club is that their owners very clearly cut corners to have a football league club. This is obviously not a problem to some people in the capitalist world, but some people have a more traditional view of football.

It seems to me, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, that people involved in the Milton Keynes football project threw in the towel in on trying to get their local club up the traditional way, and happily latched onto another club that had been run into the ground by a series of dodgy owners, and they created MK Dons.

If a city has such an appitite to support a football team, then would it be safe to say that that team shouldn't find it too hard starting from the bottom, and working their way up the pyramid?

Corholio wrote: »
    What you failed to mention in your post quoting the game with low attendance figures is that the FA panel had already decided the club would be moving to Milton Keynes a whole 4 months previous to that game. The fans had purposely stopped going and the new club was already up and running. 20,000 turning up would have made zero difference. But I guess that wouldn't have fitted in with your 'lowest ever attendance' argument as a stick to beat Wimbledon fans.

On Tod Umptious's point, I certainly wouldn't be one of those who blames MK Dons fans at all. A club was set up in the town, nothing wrong with those going to see them. I only take issue with those who try and rewrite history and make it seem that 'ah those Wimbledon fans should get over it by now' or even those who deny anything wrong happened at all. Absolutely nothing against MK Dons fans at all.

Wimbledon FC were setting record for the smallest attendances long before then

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/3039---everton-wimbledon-shared-8516732

Jan 26th 1993 - 3,039.

Wimbledon FC never had a large fan base.

Wimbledon FC were setting record for the smallest attendances long before then

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/3039---everton-wimbledon-shared-8516732

Jan 26th 1993 - 3,039.

Wimbledon FC never had a large fan base.

They were always a small club with small attendances. That doesn't have anything to do with the point I was making though. Quoting a small attendance to make Wimbledon fans look bad despite there already being a very significant and valid reason for it.

Oh dear. Even before I moved to Ireland, my father in law (RIP) would take me to shells matches, so they became "my" team to follow and since moving over here some 10 years ago, I have been to about 75% home games and a few away.
    They aimed high and it was a shame when it all fell apart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

The Dons 2-0 MK

So the Dons have officially surpassed MK on the English footballing pyramid for the first time. The Dons will play in the 3rd tier next season, while MK will be playing in the 4th tier. Ironic, considering MK stole a club so they did not have to start down the divisions. The reformed Wombles, had to do exactly that, and are now a division above MK. Great success story, hopefully MK follow this up with another few relegation's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So the Dons have officially surpassed MK on the English footballing pyramid for the first time. The Dons will play in the 3rd tier next season, while MK will be playing in the 4th tier. Ironic, considering MK stole a club so they did not have to start down the divisions. The reformed Wombles, had to do exactly that, and are now a division above MK. Great success story, hopefully MK follow this up with another few relegation's.

Well said, and if the thieves had any decency at all they’d drop the Dons part from their name.

• Advertisement

I get the respect for AFC Wimbledon.

But I don't get the hatred for MK.

I think they are mutally exclusive.

I think it's been explained ad nauseam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Have adopted Wimbledon as a second team for the last few years. Only partially from John Green :D Delighted to see them stay up. The game against Walsall was huge. Hoping next season isn't as poor though...

I think anyone from Milton Keynes following them is fine. I'd always be an advocate for supporting your local team. They are loathsome in their origins though and the 'Dons' moniker should definitely be dropped from their name.

I think anyone from Milton Keynes following them is fine. I'd always be an advocate for supporting your local team. They are loathsome in their origins though and the 'Dons' moniker should definitely be dropped from their name.

That's kind of my point, I don't think it's fair to criticise MK fans for following their local team.

The soccer magazine When Saturday Comes (WSC) always tries to protray itself as a publication for (for the use of a better word) "real fans".

It's always bemoaning commercialism, TV deals, lack of 3pm kickoffs, the dominance of big rich clubs etc.

Yet they always refuse to include MK in their pre season previews.

So there they have a lower league club attracting young fans instead of them following bigger teams, yet they get chastised for it.

To paraphrase what one of the Kilcoynes said about KRAM (Keep Rovers at Milltown) back in the day, "if all the people protesting actually went to a few games we would not be in this situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If they dropped the Don's moniker then everything would be fine. The Dons was the nickname for all the fans of the club before they were moved to Milton Keynes and that name deserves to be with the Wimbledon club.
    As for using the Kilcoynes as an example. Well clearly you don't know the whole story. Do you know how long the Kilcoynes owned Milltown for?

If not then do a bit of research and you'll find out what sort of people the Kilcoynes really were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭DvB

To paraphrase what one of the Kilcoynes said about KRAM (Keep Rovers at Milltown) back in the day, "if all the people protesting actually went to a few games we would not be in this situation.

Not to go off on a tangent, but history has proven that statement from LK to be a a complete lie. The attendances had little in the greater scheme of things to do with the sale of Milltown.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

That's kind of my point, I don't think it's fair to criticise MK fans for following their local team.

The soccer magazine When Saturday Comes (WSC) always tries to protray itself as a publication for (for the use of a better word) "real fans".

It's always bemoaning commercialism, TV deals, lack of 3pm kickoffs, the dominance of big rich clubs etc.

Yet they always refuse to include MK in their pre season previews.

So there they have a lower league club attracting young fans instead of them following bigger teams, yet they get chastised for it.

WSC do that as otherwise it would endorsing the theft of a club from its’ community. Not sure why anyone would have an issue with it.

The Milltown comparison is nonsense. Two different scenarios.

I’m always bemused by this “Wimbledon had small crowds so they had to move”.

Of course they had small crowds. So what? Maybe they’d have dropped down a division or two and found their “natural” place.

But I don’t see why anybody should be just allowed to steal somebody else’s club. If MK was so deserving of a club, why not set one up and work their way up through the footballing pyramid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Whilst its never good to see a side religated, I am delighted MK have gone down, might feel for their fans, but certainly not for them. Went to Plough Lane a few times as a kid, they were my local side, so always had a soft spot for them.

To see AFC Wimbledon from them first trails on Wimbledon Common, through local none leagues, the Conference South, Conference, 78 games unbeaten along the way, now League 1, and finally ahead of MK in the pyamid, is something else.

Might have a bit more respect for MK, if they too had started off in their local none league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

To think this was the franchise that some campaigned to be moved to Dublin. It would have been an even bigger disaster then how its ended up.

dan1895 wrote: »
    To think this was the franchise that some campaigned to be moved to Dublin. It would have been an even bigger disaster then how its ended up.

Would have been great for all the great fans here

A great win for the Dons today. All hope seemed lost 10 games ago, with relegation looming large. MK seemed like they were heading back to League 1 automatically too, where they would leapfrog the Dons in the football pyramid. But a few weeks can make a big difference, and Wimbledon pulled off a huge win today, where a point against the bottom placed team will guarantee survival. At the same time, MK may now very well miss out on automatic promotion, and hopefully they stay down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

First time in a long time I checked the League One table and Wimbledon we're not in the relegation zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

I was horrified when I learned this isn't about Aberdeen

Good to see the Dons back at Plough Lane. It's been a tough slog for the fans to bring the team home, but they got there in the end!

• Advertisement
Advertisement