Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to stop cat scratching the furniture???!!

• 30-10-2016 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi,
    We got a two year old cat three months ago and her favourite pastime is scratching the furniture!!

Has anyone any tips on how to stop her doing this?

We sprayed the furniture with Get Off but it only stops her for a day or two.

With our previous cat we only had to spray the furniture for a week or two and then she stopped scratching and only used the scratching post!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

October wrote: »
    Hi,
    We got a two year old cat three months ago and her favourite pastime is scratching the furniture!!

Has anyone any tips on how to stop her doing this?

We sprayed the furniture with Get Off but it only stops her for a day or two.

With our previous cat we only had to spray the furniture for a week or two and then she stopped scratching and only used the scratching post!

Thanks in advance

Get some cat trees or surfaces that are more appealing to scratch. Also spraying them with cat nip will probably help too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

As Quandary said you need proper tall scratch posts (twice the length of the cat is recommended to really let them stretch) and put double sided tape over the area they scratch while having a scratch post there to redirect the need on to (they don't scratch the furniture for the hell of it after all).

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

Thanks for the advice. She has a few scratching posts around. I'll try the double sided tape. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Nody wrote: »
    As Quandary said you need proper tall scratch posts

I have one of these right next to the sofa. At least 25% of the time the cats ignore it and go for the sofa anyway :rolleyes:

My solution is just to have cheap furniture that I don't mind being scratched up but that might not work for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

one thing that deters all cats is vicks vaporub -they hate the menthol smell.
    Cover the preferred scratching area with tape and apply an amount of vicks vaporubs. I had a kitty weeing in my kitchen - i have applied vicks to the tiles 3 weeks ago, meanwhile washed the tile numerous times - it never happened again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement