Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat bar racer recommendation - €1100

Options
  • 30-10-2016 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Looking to get new bike on BTW, don't want drop bar. Leaning towards Giant Rapid 1 due to good reviews online (albeit for previous years model)

I've set a max budget of €1100 just for bike. Commute is 5km so nothing too big. Bike is just for commute.

Bikes with hydraulic disc brake:
    Giant Rapid 1 - €1099 - giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/rapid.1/28543/99181/
    Ridgeback Flight 02 - €1099 - ridgeback.co.uk/bikes/city/flight/flight-02
    Canondale bad boy 3 - €1099 - cannondale.com/en/Great%20Britain/Bike/ProductDetail?Id=33180d11-03d4-4b81-aecf-f557151c5735&parentid=undefined

without disc:
    Trek FX S 4 - €1089 - trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/city-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-s-4/p/1341000-2017/

have all the bikes & components in spreadsheet form here if somebody could give them a once over and weigh in:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qkFqFDBL-kV6A3qBfW-Me3UHwOQQL2Jlao1CN6vsVIE/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

The amount of differing parts is doing my head in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

If Halfords still do the Boardman Hybrid Pro, then that's your man. Savage bike, great brakes.

EDIT OK they still do it but I can't comment on the current one. The Gears and brakes are a lot different. Gets a lot of good reviews though.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-hybrid-bike-pro

You do know you can still buy a "drop" bar bike and just ride it using the hoods, which is more or less the same?

Most people with drop bar bikes probably spend 90%+ time on the hoods.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ppppurrrrrrr

had a look at halfords but the local halfords dont have great recommendation for setup.
    hmm, cycling in around town. especially quays , having flat bar seems to make it easier to work through the traffic. also, the tyres on the bikes i listed are a bit thicker than the proper road bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

had a look at halfords but the local halfords dont have great recommendation for setup.
    hmm, cycling in around town. especially quays , having flat bar seems to make it easier to work through the traffic. also, the tyres on the bikes i listed are a bit thicker than the proper road bikes.

Maybe something like a CX bike would suit you? Best of both worlds? Big tyres, ride it like a hybrid, and a good "road" bike too.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-cx-comp-bike [EDIT-Plus is has extra brake levers on the hoods/bars] See pics on Halfords

Don't mind comments about Halfords "Setup", you can get that checked out and sorted for next to nothing post purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Don't mind comments about Halfords "Setup", you can get that checked out and sorted for next to nothing post purchase.

This, my last two bikes came from other than my LBS and each time a full setup was 35€.

ok might reconsider halfords. do you think the halfords bike is better spec than the giant rapid 1? had a gawk at it in the giant store and it seemed pretty great..and light as a feather

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Tyres are easily changed.

I know several people who've bought hybrids and regretted it. The best bike for road cycling is a road bike, I.e. A drop bar road bike. Don't fall into the hybrid trap!!

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

I find the hybrid perfect for the commute which takes me down most of the quays to the custom house. I find when on the road bike the inclination I have is to push it a bit more and seen as even if i do that on the hybrid i just won't be going as fast anyway it's definitely changed how i cycle to and from work since i switched back to the hybrid.

Personally i think spending 1100 on a commuter is a bit much, but that's me. I'd definitely be going closer to the 600 mark and using the rest of my grand for accessories. Those are lovely looking and sounding bikes you've linked above though. Best of luck with whatever one you end up choosing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Personally i think spending 1100 on a commuter is a bit much, but that's me...
    Took the words out of my mouth! :D

It would kill me to spend north of a grand on a bike for a 5k commute with no other cycling. I'd be looking at a second hand single speed/fixie and I wouldn't be handing over more than €300.

OP - please feel free to tell me to feck off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

For commuting / winter bike I'd go for one of these:

http://planetxireland.com/products-page/london-road/planet-x-london-road-sram-rival-11-bike/

It has eyelets for proper mudguards and a rack (if needed). Hydraulic brakes. Clearance for wide tyres (40mm I think) and is well specc'd.

It does have drop bars, but it's only 999. I have my eye on one myself

Thanks for the replies so far. Really wont be getting a drop bar road bike. I've been doing the commute on 20 year old raleigh "mountain bike". Just looking for a better bike etc. that I can go faster on and that's new, all while retaining the upright position. Would like hydraulic disc brakes but not having them isn't the end of the world.
    The best bike for road cycling is a road bike,
    100% agree, Howevevr, most of what I'll be doing is dodgy glass ridden bike path, pot hole ridden & manhole cover lethal slippery when wet roads. Along with some hopping over the odd kerb.
    I'd definitely be going closer to the 600 mark and using the rest of my grand for accessories.
    Was thinking about that. Wasn't sure if €500 jump in price is worth it? If the difference between €500 and €1100 bike isn't that big, may drop spend down to €600.
    As for accessories, the selection in the shops I tried are pretty limited so was just gonna stock up online.
    hybrid perfect for the commute which takes me down most of the quays to the custom house.
    Which hybrid did you opt for?
    I'd be looking at a second hand single speed/fixie
    I considered a fixie but it's just not practical for the commute. Will keep my eye out for a cheap one just to play about with, especially after having watched some youtube videos on them.

• Advertisement

I did go looking for the Trek 7.2 FX as a result of this review(from the guys who own wirecutter( but bike no longer exists in any store around Dublin:
    thesweethome.com/reviews/best-hybrid-commuter-bike/

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

I got a Scott Metrix 40 back three years ago.

https://www.evanscycles.com/en-ie/scott-metrix-40-2013-hybrid-bike-EV178651

Can't find any of them beyond 2014 so it seems they might not do them anymore.

This is nice though.

http://www.choosemybicycle.com/in/en/bicycle-reviews/scott-sub-cross-40-2017-review/

100% decided. gonna go with Trek FX 3 (trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/city-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-3/p/1327010-2017/). €769

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

100% decided. gonna go with Trek FX 3 (trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/city-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-3/p/1327010-2017/). €769
    Good choice - just got one and for a 10km commute each way. Happy with it.Only issue was could not get the front brakes to stop squealing so LBS changed pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

If Halfords still do the Boardman Hybrid Pro, then that's your man. Savage bike, great brakes.

EDIT OK they still do it but I can't comment on the current one. The Gears and brakes are a lot different. Gets a lot of good reviews though.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-hybrid-bike-pro

You do know you can still buy a "drop" bar bike and just ride it using the hoods, which is more or less the same?

Most people with drop bar bikes probably spend 90%+ time on the hoods.
    So why bother with drop bars then?
    And surely the brakes are not as good this way?
    At least this was my experience from old drop bar bikes - panic to move hands to the brakes.

to be honest, i was undecided until i saw one guys videos about the fx 3 on youtube: youtube.com/user/CaptainBobAdventures/search?query=trek+fx+3 in particular this video: youtube.com/watch?v=v7yfQK8tqM4

Advertisement