Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening for French Doors

Options
  • 30-10-2016 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

I've a new build semid timber frame house. The back wall in the kitchen is 4m wide. I want to make an opening of 2.5m to install French doors. Any idea how much this would cost?

It's a load bearing wall. So I understand it will need to be supported, rsj put in place etc

The cost should include all works to return interior and exterior to original condition. Including painting entire back wall.

The builder of the house said the timber frame unit has a special sealed insulation. That knocking through the wall would break this sealed unit and it would have to be resealed. Assuming he mentioned this as it may add to the costs?

For a timber frame house. Would i be better sourcing someone with previous experience with timber frame houses?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Bear in mind that a steel beam cannot be simply inserted as the timber frame each side would not be used for the bearing of this beam in my opinion. 2 columns would also need to be inserted to carry the loading down to foundation level or a similar design level.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

kceire wrote: »
    Bear in mind that a steel beam cannot be simply inserted as the timber frame each side would not be used for the bearing of this beam in my opinion. 2 columns would also need to be inserted to carry the loading down to foundation level or a similar design level.

You could be right. I'll ask this. Thanks

The back of the house is 6m wide. Utility room 2m wide and kitchen 4m wide. The builder has said that the internal wall between the utility room and the kitchen is load bearing, so possibly that would be sufficient to take the load.

You could be right. I'll ask this. Thanks

The back of the house is 6m wide. Utility room 2m wide and kitchen 4m wide. The builder has said that the internal wall between the utility room and the kitchen is load bearing, so possibly that would be sufficient to take the load.

Most likely not as the internal load bearing wall will be probably tied to the internal timber frame. Your still will have to carry the external brick facade also.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Does this mean two separate loads must be supported separately?

An rsj to support brick facade and then "something" to support the timber frame?

Does this mean two separate loads must be supported separately?

An rsj to support brick facade and then "something" to support the timber frame?

No, one beam should be enough but you cannot bear that onto the utility internal wall as you suggested in your previous post.

Without seeing the house or its build up it's all guess work here so your engineer needs to advise based on the arrangement on site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Howzit17

Wondering how you got on with this.have similar situation and wondering costs

Advertisement