Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Language requirements

• 30-10-2016 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi All.

I was just wondering . I have only got Irish and English for languages on my leaving cert . Would this be enough for the current employment drive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭blueforce89

Yes, once you have passed both at either ordinary or higher level. Have you reached Stage 2 of the September campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Holeymoley11

Yes, once you have passed both at either ordinary or higher level. Have you reached Stage 2 of the September campaign?

Ah that's brilliant !! The wording of the requirements for the language is bit strange so I was just unsure . Yes I'm through to the next round 200 mark I got .

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dan 191

Did the leaving cert long time ago and the Irish result I got was bad ....what's happens for those of us that don't meet the mark....is there some test you have to do? And if so any one know what type of test it is ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Dan 191 wrote: »
    Did the leaving cert long time ago and the Irish result I got was bad ....what's happens for those of us that don't meet the mark....is there some test you have to do? And if so any one know what type of test it is ?

Smart answer: Yes. An Irish test. (Sorry. Couldn't resist...)

Helpful answer: Seems that any QQI Level 5 award in Irish will fit the bill. http://www.garda.ie/FAQ/Default.aspx?FAQCategory=13#FAQ12378

http://docs.qqi.ie/AwardsLibraryPdf/5N1631_AwardSpecifications_English.pdf

That's not what I'm on about... I was told that public jobs set a test for people who have a low mark in Irish....just wanted to know if anyone has done this or knows anyone that has

• Advertisement

They don't set a test. They set a required standard. It's up to you to sort out the qualification. Same as any other job.

You may be thinking of the Ceard Teastas Gaeilge. Not offered by Public Jobs, but recognised by them.

i just found this on the net.....

Irish Language Assessement

As you are aware one of the requirements for the position of Garda Trainee was that candidates must have 2 languages at Leaving Certificate level. If your qualifications do not meet this standard you may apply to be invited to have your level of Irish assessed (both written and oral).

Your assessment will only take place once you have successfully qualified at all other stages of the campaign process. If you qualify at the interview stage your name will be forwarded to Garda HQ to begin processing for the next stage but until such time as you complete and qualify at your Irish Assessment you will not be deemed eligible for the campaign.

1. Oral Assessment (duration 15 minutes)
    This will comprise conversation on ordinary topics with two assessors. You will be expected to demonstrate an understanding of the main points of standard speech on ordinary topics and enter into conversation using frequently used phrases and vocabulary.

You will be assessed on your ability to communicate in the Irish language under the following criteria:
    Fluency, Vocabulary, Grammar and Understanding.

2. Written Assessment (duration 1 hour)
    Section 1 Essay (150 - 200 words)
    Section 2 Comprehension test
    Section 3 Translation from English to Irish

You will be assessed on your ability in written Irish. Criteria may include the following:
    Content, Literacy, spelling, use of language, structure and layout, accuracy and grammar.

Subject to you being successful at this assessment, your name will be forwarded to An Garda Síochána in order to be considered for the next stage.

Success at this stage of the selection process is not to be taken as an indication that the Public Appointments Service or the Garda Commissioner consider your application as fulfilling the full range of essential requirements, and is not a guarantee of acceptance as a Garda Trainee. It should be noted that the final decision on entry into training rests with the Garda Commissioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

endacl wrote: »
    They don't set a test. They set a required standard. It's up to you to sort out the qualification. Same as any other job.

You may be thinking of the Ceard Teastas Gaeilge. Not offered by Public Jobs, but recognised by them.

Could you expand on this? Can I take this course and if I pass it the PAS accept this or are this Card Yeasts Gaeilge doing the assessment for PAS. Cheers!

TallGlass wrote: »
    Could you expand on this? Can I take this course and if I pass it the PAS accept this or are this Card Yeasts Gaeilge doing the assessment for PAS. Cheers!

I'd just get in touch and ask what qualifications tick their box. You don't want to waste time passing an exam they don't recognise.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

Public jobs do set out exams for the irish If you don't have the correct qualification

• Advertisement

want2b wrote: »
    Public jobs do set out exams for the irish If you don't have the correct qualification

https://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/client/toolkit/s8_11.htm

^^
    This one? That's for advancement within the civil service. They don't provide opportunities to gain qualifications for application. That'd be like the OPW advertising for an architect, with a degree in architecture being required, and then setting an architecture exam for people who never studied architecture.

https://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/client/toolkit/s8_11.htm

^^
    This one? That's for advancement within the civil service. They don't provide opportunities to gain qualifications for application. That'd be like the OPW advertising for an architect, with a degree in architecture being required, and then setting an architecture exam for people who never studied architecture.
    No not that

No not that
    A link to it would probably be really useful at this point?

A link to it would probably be really useful at this point?

Someone have already posted the information up a little further if you take a look

Irish Language Assessement

As you are aware one of the requirements for the position of Garda Trainee was that candidates must have 2 languages at Leaving Certificate level. If your qualifications do not meet this standard you may apply to be invited to have your level of Irish assessed (both written and oral).

Your assessment will only take place once you have successfully qualified at all other stages of the campaign process. If you qualify at the interview stage your name will be forwarded to Garda HQ to begin processing for the next stage but until such time as you complete and qualify at your Irish Assessment you will not be deemed eligible for the campaign.

1. Oral Assessment (duration 15 minutes)
    This will comprise conversation on ordinary topics with two assessors. You will be expected to demonstrate an understanding of the main points of standard speech on ordinary topics and enter into conversation using frequently used phrases and vocabulary.

You will be assessed on your ability to communicate in the Irish language under the following criteria:
    Fluency, Vocabulary, Grammar and Understanding.

2. Written Assessment (duration 1 hour)
    Section 1 Essay (150 - 200 words)
    Section 2 Comprehension test
    Section 3 Translation from English to Irish

You will be assessed on your ability in written Irish. Criteria may include the following:
    Content, Literacy, spelling, use of language, structure and layout, accuracy and grammar.

Subject to you being successful at this assessment, your name will be forwarded to An Garda Síochána in order to be considered for the next stage.

Success at this stage of the selection process is not to be taken as an indication that the Public Appointments Service or the Garda Commissioner consider your application as fulfilling the full range of essential requirements, and is not a guarantee of acceptance as a Garda Trainee. It should be noted that the final decision on entry into training rests with the Garda Commissioner.[/quote]

Here it is

I'm thinking for the oral exam, know your name, age, DOB, family, area, work, hobbies, music, trip you took?

As for written tests, what would common topics from the LC, I don't see any essays in any of the papers!

It's kind of the lack of information from PAS that's more worring, there's no mention of a marking scheme and the translating is not on either the JC or LC, unless it's changed since I done it.

Someone have already posted the information up a little further if you take a look

Jaysus. I'd never make a detective...

:(

Trying to PM you but your MB is full !

Anyone got any advise for us that have to do it. Guess there's only a hand full of us to do it.

Ya not looking forward to it....my Irish is crap.....will have to start Irish grinds

Dan 191 wrote: »
    Ya not looking forward to it....my Irish is crap.....will have to start Irish grinds

I touched base with them for anyone who's interested. Seemingly there's no firmilarisation material for us, leaving it quite open on how broad it is. Just all advise I was giving was grab some past papers! But there is no translating for storying writing. Whole thing has me very nervous to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 pnitro4

Hi guys, I was wondering is Irish a must to apply for the gardai? or can you apply with English and another language (e.g Spanish or Russian) on your leaving cert? or is it strictly Irish and English only?

Thanks

pnitro4 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I was wondering is Irish a must to apply for the gardai? or can you apply with English and another language (e.g Spanish or Russian) on your leaving cert? or is it strictly Irish and English only?

Thanks

You need two languages, one of which must be Irish and/or English at Leaving Cert Ordinary Level with a D3 as minimum. If you only have one and/or another language at FETAC level 5 with a pass of D3 or equivalent on the QQI you will be okay for the requirements.

Here are some examples that will be fine for PAS;
    English and Irish both at Leaving Cert Level 5 OL D3, with a result of pass.
    English and French both at Leaving Cert Level 5 OL D3, with a result of pass.
    Irish and Spanish both at Leaving Cert Level 5 OL D3, with a result of pass.
    English and Russian, non Leaving Cert but equivalent to level 5 on the QQI with a result of D3 or 40-54%. PASS.

Here are examples that are not;
    English and Irish at Leaving Cert, one/both at Foundation Level with a result of pass. Not accepted.
    Irish and Spanish, at Leaving Cert, one at Foundation Level with a result of pass. Not accepted.
    English and Irish at Leaving Cert, one of which is a fail at any level. Not accepted.
    English and Russian, not meeting the requirements of the QQI. Not accepted.
    Chinese and Irish, with Irish at OL with a D3 pass but Chinese not meeting the QQI requirement. Not accepted.

I hope this helps explain the requirements. Level 5 is only accepted on this, Foundation Level is QQI level 4 and is not accepted. All example are above are based on you having only the minimum required languages. As in I don't know anyone doing both FL English and Irish as it's not even offer as a subject English that is.

Just to add, you will however, have to study Irish in the Garda College, this is not optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 pnitro4

TallGlass wrote: »
    You need two languages, one of which must be Irish and/or English at Leaving Cert Ordinary Level with a D3 as minimum. If you only have one and/or another language at FETAC level 5 with a pass of D3 or equivalent on the QQI you will be okay for the requirements.

Here are some examples that will be fine for PAS;
    English and Irish both at Leaving Cert Level 5 OL D3, with a result of pass.
    English and French both at Leaving Cert Level 5 OL D3, with a result of pass.
    Irish and Spanish both at Leaving Cert Level 5 OL D3, with a result of pass.
    English and Russian, non Leaving Cert but equivalent to level 5 on the QQI with a result of D3 or 40-54%. PASS.

Here are examples that are not;
    English and Irish at Leaving Cert, one/both at Foundation Level with a result of pass. Not accepted.
    Irish and Spanish, at Leaving Cert, one at Foundation Level with a result of pass. Not accepted.
    English and Irish at Leaving Cert, one of which is a fail at any level. Not accepted.
    English and Russian, not meeting the requirements of the QQI. Not accepted.
    Chinese and Irish, with Irish at OL with a D3 pass but Chinese not meeting the QQI requirement. Not accepted.

I hope this helps explain the requirements. Level 5 is only accepted on this, Foundation Level is QQI level 4 and is not accepted. All example are above are based on you having only the minimum required languages. As in I don't know anyone doing both FL English and Irish as it's not even offer as a subject English that is.

Just to add, you will however, have to study Irish in the Garda College, this is not optional.

Okay, that clears it up, thank you very much for the detailed information!

Anyone that's done it. Do you know if during the oral are you required to describe pictures to the examiners? I don't think you have to but wanted to double check this one.

Advertisement