Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I ruined my cider?

Options
  • 30-10-2016 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Kicking myself here, probably no hope of rescue but will ask anyway.

I moved my cider from primary to secondary today and wanted to sweeten it with a non fermentable so added sucralose. I used a desert spoonfull instead of what i now know should have been at most half a teaspoon.

The whole batch (24 litres) tastes so disgustingly sickly sweet..

is there a way of rescuing it and getting this out or is it a gonner?

it was otherwise perfect cider at around 5.7% abv..

b0llocks anyway.

any advice gladly welcomed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I can't think of any method other than further dilution with a dry cider, i.e. if you added twice as much you would do another brew and mix them both.

Or rather than mixing entire brews you could just bottle it and make other batches and mix 2 bottles as you open them.

If you have any friends who like orchard thieves they might like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭proponent

thanks for this.

sigh,, as feared.. no even orchard thieves couldnt palate this

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How big is the batch?
    Could tablespoon instead of a teaspoon really make a massive difference

its 24 litres,

yep apparently it can with sucralose which is 300 times sweeter than sugar... says he who didnt actually spend time researching before adding it!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

I'd just do what rubadub says, make a second batch instead of throwing out this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

proponent wrote: »
    its 24 litres,

yep apparently it can with sucralose which is 300 times sweeter than sugar... says he who didnt actually spend time researching before adding it!
    Ah, I missed that it was sucralose.
    I thought you were using sucrose.

Makes sense in that case

so utterly pi$$ed off about it! such a bloody waste of apples

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'd split the batch and top both halves up with apple juice.

Only other thing I could think is maybe adding a yeast that would dry the cider out even more. What was your original yeast strain?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I'd second mixing with a second batch. I had to do that with two wines I made. One was sickly sweet, the other dry as heck. 50/50 mix resulted in something pretty drinkable

good shout,
    i will get a second batch on and see if that works. my fear is that i would have to make about 5 batches to get this anywhere near drinkable

• Advertisement
Advertisement