Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Bike Recommendations

Options
  • 30-10-2016 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Guys, had a look and the last post on this is a year ago but if I missed something more recently, my appologies, ;)
    Can anyone advise me on a winter bike, should it be the same set up as the good bike or would a cheaper bike do the job just to keep the miles up over the winter? Ideally, I know that the same setup would be preferable but the budget would be limited so any suggestions will be much appreciated.
    Cheers:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Regardless of price make or model you need a bike that fits you so yeah it'll be at least the same size as your other bike or a size smaller but try and avoid anything larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Regardless of price make or model you need a bike that fits you so yeah it'll be at least the same size as your other bike or a size smaller but try and avoid anything larger.

Thanks Cee-Jay-Cee

What about the gearing, some people suggest that Sora or Tiagra might be fine. Any one any thoughts on that, folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

Either Tiagra or Sora would be a good bet, 9 or 10 speed even 8. You just want something reliable and cheap to maintain. I would try for Tiagra if you are used to higher end Shimano though as the lever shifting action is the same.

A frame with full mudguard eyelets would be ideal, but probably quite hard to pick up this time of year.

Raceblade mudguards are pretty good now though.

A heavier bike through the winter will make you faster and stronger in the summer for sure, just try and keep some light but well built wheels on it so it doesn't feel too much of a drag on the flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have Tiagra 4600 on my winter bike and the FD shifting is smooth and reasonably light although not as smooth/light as 6800. Rear shifting is smooth and very precise and never needs adjustment however I am using a 4500 (9spd) Tiagra RD and FD with 4600 shifters and 10spd cassette. I don't know if that makes any real difference but gear changes are perfect every single time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Guys, had a look and the last post on this is a year ago but if I missed something more recently, my appologies, ;)
    Can anyone advise me on a winter bike, should it be the same set up as the good bike or would a cheaper bike do the job just to keep the miles up over the winter? Ideally, I know that the same setup would be preferable but the budget would be limited so any suggestions will be much appreciated.
    Cheers:o

For whatever budget you have in mind why not try and get as good a second hand bike as you can. You may even find its comparable to your summer bike and a joy to use when your main bike is out of action.

My winter bike was bought new in 2009 and use to be my race bike until I got a new one in 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Use your regular bike and wash the winter off it. Muc off is usually reduced in Halfords, Tesco etc. Lube is cheap enough too. Sorted for 15 beans.

Advertisement