Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What's the weather like in your area 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭I says

Barometer is rising the only growth here is on silage ground after the rain last week other than that the place is burning up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I says wrote: »
    Barometer is rising the only growth here is on silage ground after the rain last week other than that the place is burning up

Heard stories of farms in the east whose wells have dried up. No water in the troughs

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Who2 wrote: »
    I’m desperately in need of rain. My ground is starting to turn into a golf course. I seem to be a pocket here in the north east that’s missing all rain. I’m going to start selling here over the next week or so as everything is getting burnt off and little to no growth. There’s a few lads not far from me have housed cattle and are feeding indoors to try drag out rotations. What’s people’s opinions on spreading plenty of nitrogen on bare (bone dry)ground . Should I keep throwing out a bit and will it be much use or have I just to wait for a burst of rain.

Don't have personal experience but our contractor was saying he put out fertiliser in similar situation last dry summer few years ago and said it just burnt what grass was there as no rain came - said was worse off than if he hadn't spread anything. Going by that you'd be better off waiting if no moisture at all around.

Fairly warm day but got fairly cold after the sun went down. Bit of a contrast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Midnight Thursday/Friday, throwing down frost here on the Erris peninsula.
    I saw the neighbour stacking bales so I called over to him and the tops were all coated.
    Its a mad place to be living...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I saw the neighbour stacking bales so I called over to him and the tops were all coated.

It is a very strange/unusual year weather wise to be fair.
    It's kind of like the weather they get in the desert, roasting in the daytime frost at night. There must be very dry air over our heads in the atmosphere.
    There's no insulation blanket like normal anyway.

Another theory is during a Sun minimum phase when the earth is not getting bombarded by solar storms. The magnetic field on earth is slightly lower and cold space itself is slightly closer to the earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭jaymla627

It is a very strange/unusual year weather wise to be fair.
    It's kind of like the weather they get in the desert, roasting in the daytime frost at night. There must be very dry air over our heads in the atmosphere.
    There's no insulation blanket like normal anyway.

Another theory is during a Sun minimum phase when the earth is not getting bombarded by solar storms. The magnetic field on earth is slightly lower and cold space itself is slightly closer to the earth.

Looking over on the weather forum they reckon we are at the start of this cycle with some pretty extreme winters to come would you be thinking that yourself

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Looking over on the weather forum they reckon we are at the start of this cycle with some pretty extreme winters to come would you be thinking that yourself

Well you won't get any more extreme of a winter than the one just gone.
    I think you even predicted potential problems with outdoor cubicles with predicted snow for the coming winter back in November.
    It's this dry spell atm has the bejesus frightened out of me. We're only in June and still July and August to go and there's none of the retrogression from the other side of the world on the weather changing. Not like last year.

On the coming winter it could easily continue into an El Nino and perhaps the Atlantic roars into life with storms and mild conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

It's this dry spell atm has the bejesus frightened out of me. We're only in June and still July and August to go and there's none of the retrogression from the other side of the world on the weather changing. Not like last year.

That's my real fear also, the fodder crisis earlier this year won't be a patch on spending July/aug feeding out at least half my already insufficient winter fodder, alongside the reduced milk yields, there will be a easy 30k wiped off the bottom line if that happens, (and the springtime has cost 10k minimum already), alongside the headache of what the hell will be feed to the cows this winter. I'm putting any other capital spending on hold this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Picture says a thousand words. Smashing weather, 150 acres of hay on the ground and grass getting tight but I’m going to enjoy the sun while it’s here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Picture says a thousand words. Smashing weather, 150 acres of hay on the ground and grass getting tight but I’m going to enjoy the sun while it’s here.

Thousands of acres of hay being made at the moment....plenty too that wasn't cut last year
    It'll really tidy the countryside, I was surprised to see how much land was wild around limerick and it famous for cows.
    Still hard to beat country side from Portlaoise through Carlow to Bunclody for proper farming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Pat Treacy

davidk1394 wrote: »

Ballydoyle must be a busy place this weather.

Pat Treacy wrote: »
    Ballydoyle must be a busy place this weather.

I’d say so. All go down this way at hay wherever there’s enough grass to cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

wrangler wrote: »
    Thousands of acres of hay being made at the moment....plenty too that wasn't cut last year
    It'll really tidy the countryside, I was surprised to see how much land was wild around limerick and it famous for cows.
    Still hard to beat country side from Portlaoise through Carlow to Bunclody for proper farming

I hate to be down on my side of the world but you're right about proper farming up the Carlow side

Bullocks wrote: »
    I hate to be down on my side of the world but you're right about proper farming up the Carlow side

It mightn't be as fun in carlow now as usually is.
    I was listening to the match in Dr Cullen park a little bit on the radio this evening when bringing the cows in.
    Watering all week and it's still burnt up.
    Apparently it's on a bed of cinders from the beet factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Bullocks wrote: »
    As a matter of interest why do ye consider these areas as proper farmers/farming ?
    Just interested in other farmer's opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Another cracker of a day blue skies and sunshine with a warm sea breeze. Heavy dew at night, grass is still growing like crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Base price wrote: »
    As a matter of interest why do ye consider these areas as proper farmers/farming ?
    Just interested in other farmer's opinions.

Just always impresses me, lovely land alright but the majority is well managed and not neglected, houses and farmyards always look well, Coming down the hill into Stradbally from Carlow, there's a view that'd take your breath away and that's all farmland around the town,
    It's quicker for me to go up to the M50 and travel motorway to ICM Camolin but i really like to go cross country via Carlow instead, Lovely farms from Carlow to Bunclody as well

Smashing morning here. Putting in hay. Hoping to get a few days off the end of next week to enjoy the weather :D

Just always impresses me, lovely land alright but the majority is well managed and not neglected, houses and farmyards always look well, Coming down the hill into Stradbally from Carlow, there's a view that'd take your breath away and that's all farmland around the town,
    It's quicker for me to go up to the M50 and travel motorway to ICM Camolin but i really like to go cross country via Carlow instead, Lovely farms from Carlow to Bunclody as well
    I'm not trying to generalise but imo tillage farm yards always look tidier than livestock ones - machinery is stored in sheds etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I'm not trying to generalise but imo tillage farm yards always look tidier than livestock ones - machinery is stored in sheds etc

Machinery doesn't ****e all over the yard so that makes it a bit easier to keep tidy....

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Machinery doesn't ****e all over the yard so that makes it a bit easier to keep tidy....

Ha look at that, Boards auto censored my post!

Ha look at that, Boards auto censored my post!

It always did that sure

Reggie. wrote: »
    It always did that sure

Must be my first time using bad language on here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Must be my first time using bad language on here!

But you're an awful ****e talker :p

Youngest sent me this beautiful pic earlier this evening of the Sun setting over the Celtic Sea. Pic was taken from the RV Celtic Explorer

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Youngest sent me this beautiful pic earlier this evening of the Sun setting over the Celtic Sea. Pic was taken from the RV Celtic Explorer

That’s a brilliant photo

Nope.... No pirates. All clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

That's a great pic, BP.

One for the Cool Pictures Thread?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056122711

It's as good as anything there. And it's Irish.

• Advertisement

The traditional hay meadows farmers are going to be quare p1ssed when we get rain now on the 1st July.
    Somehow though I think miraculously everyone will be able to save hay in one minute at one minute past midnight.

It's some relief for everyone else though.

To go from Harm Liujkx yesterday saying no rain for the foreseeable to now having low pressure for all next week.
    Some turnaround.

Advertisement