Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the weather like in your area 2

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Bikini weather :D

Any excuse to show off those tats:cool:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

blue5000 wrote: »
    Any excuse to show off those tats:cool:

:).........Oh tats :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Bikini weather :D

Throw up a pic sure ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Timmaay wrote: »
    Where?

Tampere in Finland. Funny thing, they leave their lights up to cheer up the dark evenings so it's still Christmassy here 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

:D:D

c5ffd3f5d30434e9e006e5576be47855.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

whelan2 wrote: »
    Have 8 cows near calving out in a paddock.

I often wonder how wet your land is. Rams evenmaking a bit of gutter here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Serious rain here this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,794 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I often wonder how wet your land is. Rams evenmaking a bit of gutter here

Pick and choose where we graze at certain times. Brought in some cattle on outfarm yesterday, ground was dry walking down to get them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Some wind out there now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Serious drying overnight with that wind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

-23 here this morning! :eek:

That'd be lovely dairy farming country. :pac:

Feels like it here too.

Max gust here on my farm was 77kmh overnight
    Still gusting near 60 and with an air temp of 3c,it's a wrap up well day despite the sun
    The week ahead looks wintry especially Tuesday evening to Friday
    Beyond that,no point looking for specific's as models are not coping well with that artic stratospheric warming which has now spread down into the troposphere where our weather is made
    It's given our jet stream a gentle dig slightly south of us so far,hence the cold

There are no overall signals for a return to normal temperatures soon so expect an average of single figures most days for a couple of weeks with a real risk of some much colder periods for a while but as always a risk is not a guarantee

Screenshot-2019-01-27-10-49-50.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: Folks, I've deleted posts just now. I'd prefer not to as I've more interesting things to do of a Sunday so if you could please take it elsewhere, it would be much appreciated by all here?

Thanks in advance,

Buford T. Justice.

5 degrees in the southeast here in a drying breeze.
    Land is really drying up and the calved cows are out here filling their bellies.

It looks like this snow spell will be a non event in the southeast and Thursday's event looks to be rain and even then with soil temperatures so high any that does fall won't stick.

Then when this week is finished there appears to be a consensus among forecasts of double digit temperatures next week with the change to southwesterly winds occurring from Sunday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭jaymla627

5 degrees in the southeast here in a drying breeze.
    Land is really drying up and the calved cows are out here filling their bellies.

It looks like this snow spell will be a non event in the southeast and Thursday's event looks to be rain and even then with soil temperatures so high any that does fall won't stick.

Then when this week is finished there appears to be a consensus among forecasts of double digit temperatures next week with the change to southwesterly winds occurring from Sunday.

Would the pattern of milder weather be something that will stick around our could a colder theme develop again going into the middle of February

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

OK it isnt that bad today. It started out at -16C this morning after around 8" of snow yesterday. THe wind is picking up at the moment, so apparently we are are going to have blizzard like conditions later from the fresh snow that fell... then tomorrow it is supposed to be -40C with wind chill something like -50C. That will last until friday, when more snow comes in... should be interesting...4 minutes for uncovered skin to get frost bite???.. yikes!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

NSAman, where are you?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    NSAman, where are you?

Not too far outside Chicago....I know this is a farming thread, a question. I see cows in the fields here still. Can they survive this sort of cold?

The horses have been brought in for the time being until this calms down. I am seriously concerned about farmers leaving cattle out in this cold though... as I am not a cattle farmer ... know little about their tolerances of cold.

NSAman wrote: »

Not too far outside Chicago....I know this is a farming thread, a question. I see cows in the fields here still. Can they survive this sort of cold?

The horses have been brought in for the time being until this calms down. I am seriously concerned about farmers leaving cattle out in this cold though... as I am not a cattle farmer ... know little about their tolerances of cold.

Friends of ours from here moved to ohio during the summer. Bitter cold there atm. Love seeing their photos.

The cattle over with you are hardy breeds, well accustomed to severe weather. As long as they have lots of grub and some shelter they will be surprising happy. The main stomach of cattle is a huge fermentation vat that will keep them warm. At some point the weather will trump that but local farmers will know best.
    What is murderous here is the damp that can accompany the cold. A dry cold is easier dealt with although shelter from the wind is needed.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

As greysides eluded to, it's a drier cold over there, when it's wet and cold a different story, key is plenty of grub

greysides wrote: »
    The cattle over with you are hardy breeds, well accustomed to severe weather. As long as they have lots of grub and some shelter they will be surprising happy. The main stomach of cattle is a huge fermentation vat that will keep them warm. At some point the weather will trump that but local farmers will know best.
    What is murderous here is the damp that can accompany the cold. A dry cold is easier dealt with although shelter from the wind is needed.

Thanks for that. This is unusual cold for here, apparently, the coldest in two decades... looking at these cattle they have plenty of food, but I see no shelter at all.. that part concerns me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    Friends of ours from here moved to ohio during the summer. Bitter cold there atm. Love seeing their photos.
    If you like good pics of snow and dogs, Stan Collins on twitter is great to follow. Some fantastic pics every day and a nice guy who replies to everyone who tweets to him as well.

https://twitter.com/stan_sdcollins?lang=en

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Would the pattern of milder weather be something that will stick around our could a colder theme develop again going into the middle of February

If this high pressure that should give us these mild southwesterlies moves up to Scandinavia and the underside gives us an easterly.
    Then yes it could.
    It'd be the mid/latter part of February.

Nice to see a new poster on here.

jaymla627 wrote: »

It's hard to say,but the theme thus far is the jet moves slightly on alternate weeks meaning active weather or quiet weather
    Next week is quieter weather
    What are called anomaly charts from various models have been suggesting overall temps during February a couple of degrees down on what they should be
    What that can suggest is this active cold period (which in itself would be several degrees lower than normal and lower than the anomaly charts) but periods also of near normal which don't make up for the real cold periods (like this week)
    You'd need a week or two of a long Southwesterly to do that
    The jet favours westerlies in the quieter periods atm which ties in with the shape of the anomaly charts
    Essentially it's averaging but with a bit of experience you can have a stab at guessing the over all picture and then take a guess at whether a chart beyond 5 days looks plausible or not
    There are other factors in the mix too which would make a long post too long/complicated

Short answer to your question is,the risk is there throughout February for bursts of colder cold and the reasons for saying that risk is live is why February will probably end up a much colder month over all than usual untill those factors wash out of the system

Here is the UK met office outlook for next week by the way which suggests in their learned opinion,winds are likely to stay north of west a lot of the time next week

UK Outlook for Saturday 2 Feb 2019 to Monday 11 Feb 2019:
    Rain, and possibly outbreaks of sleet and snow will clear from the southeast on Saturday, whilst the north and west will be brighter with wintry showers. By Sunday the brighter, showery conditions should have become more widespread. Thereafter, it will stay unsettled with further spells of rain, sleet and snow, interspersed by brighter and showery interludes. Snow is possible across most parts of the country at times, with the potential for some occasionally disruptive snow, although there is uncertainty in any detail. It will often be windy with a risk of coastal gales, and staying generally cold with overnight frost and risk of ice.

• Advertisement

Very hard frost here overnight. A few flakes of snow were falling around midnight when I was calving a cow

Advertisement