Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the weather like in your area 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Couldn't sleep with the rain from 1.30-3am this morning. Eased off for the morning with some woeful heavy but very short showers at times.

Now hearing some terrible cracks of thunder & very dark in the Drumlish/Longford direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,616 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Blustery today across Cavan and plenty of squally showers.

Last week was showing this week to be much drier, looking at 14 day forecast and there is 12 days rain on it.
    Hopefully it settles, plenty of stuff to be lifted yet around here including a wee few bales of our own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Noticibly cooler today. Just the lighest of showers throughout the day. Ground still good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Good dry day here now. A bit over cast with the sun coming through st times. Back cutting silage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Sunny in East Wicklow
    But a Cut in that breeze

Ground is rock hard,because we've had no appreciable rain for several weeks
    Just damp drizzles now and then in the last 3 wks and a lot of drying in between
    An awful lot of drying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Sunny in East Wicklow
    But a Cut in that breeze

Ground is rock hard,because we've had no appreciable rain for several weeks
    Just damp drizzles now and then in the last 3 wks and a lot of drying in between
    An awful lot of drying
    Ground fairly wet here. Was discing yesterday and really I shouldnt have been. Ground wasnt dry enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭dzer2

Some amount of silage been made the last few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭I says

Glorious morning here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Lovely evening there. Not a breath of wind out.

Just to spark panic buying on bread and milk.. But storm Gabrielle could be arriving here Wednesday night, Thursday morning.
    Looks a thing of nothing atm but sure spread the word to help the farmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

That could be the death knoll for cows out here. Might put them in for a few days Wed morning if it's forecast bad.

• Advertisement

Lovely evening there. Not a breath of wind out.

Just to spark panic buying on bread and milk.. But storm Gabrielle could be arriving here Wednesday night, Thursday morning.
    Looks a thing of nothing atm but sure spread the word to help the farmers.

Think it's to die out at sea before it gets to us or has that changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Beautiful Autumn morning here, not a puff of wind, fog on the ground and cows on a go slow for milking.

Today is a good day.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Think it's to die out at sea before it gets to us or has that changed

There's two of them that are being talked about.
    The one that wreaked havoc in the Caribbean won't effect us but there's another one in mid Atlantic that just is forecast to do a u turn and north and east that might do something here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Beautiful Autumn morning here, not a puff of wind, fog on the ground and cows on a go slow for milking.

Today is a good day.
    Same here with thirty or forty swallows and house martins flying and chattering around the house and yard. I reckon they are gathering to head on their summer holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,794 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The second hurricane is gabrielle, it's to pass north with it's cold front bringing some NORMAL wind and rain. According to mt cranium

whelan2 wrote: »
    The second hurricane is gabrielle, it's to pass north with it's cold front bringing some NORMAL wind and rain. According to mt cranium

Only for ya Whelan we'd be all set wrong. :)

Only for ya Whelan we'd be all set wrong. :)

No point worrying people unnecessarily

No point worrying people unnecessarily

Apologies. Apologies.

There'll be no more on it from me so.

Everyone has the same access to the charts as I do. Even you Whelan. And Lord knows I've provided links to those enough times.

So that's me told.

Gabrielle is actually interesting in the sense it's one of those rare storms that is likely not to cross the Atlantic to the Caribbean but head due north
    Hitting cold water mid Atlantic does encourage rapid cyclogenesis usually as it hits the jet stream

Ophelia however spent ages off the canary islands gathering moisture before it head north
    However that was in circumstances where it was forced to take a much more easterly track (in a more southerly jet bump that allowed that)
    Those conditions don't exist this time which is why Gabrielle will probably head well enough north and west of Ireland such that wet and windy is the worst we'll see
    That's gales up north

We're overdue wet and windy spells in the south and east
    Tropical systems going up eastern America and heading out over labrador into the north Atlantic usually spawn that for us

My own thoughts on it..

It's forecast to deepen on Wednesday before going to the northwest of us.
    But other models have it tracking over the country.
    But being in the northern hemisphere being south and east of a storm is where the strongest winds are and not where you want to be.

It could all still be a thing of nothing but with anything like this still deserves mention .... even on the farming & forestry forum on boards.

It's not unknown for Ireland to get storms in September.
    Now that's my crankiness all posted out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Growth falling off a cliff here. Drought stress finally caught up with us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Even dry land quite wet here after 3 weeks of sustained rain,Friday and yday,today were meant to be a window of dry weather.Spread 18:6:12 on fields near house that ewes will Lamb in next March.Rain again this morning so as well I got it done yday!

Timmaay wrote: »

Growth of 70+ here with the last 2 weeks but we've had a good shot of rain here. Ground in good condition but growth will drop now with shorter days.

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Total opposite here, grass is bombing it all summer long. Over 9 inches of rain in August. Never shook so little manure. Some paddocks here been grazed three times with no fert gone out. Will do one final round in next couple of days. Grass never the limiting factor on this farm its the ground that goes to shi*e every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Raining here this evening, thought it would b dry. Had growth of 62 this week, silage ground should be back in to extend away the rotation now, half that is very heavy so will be dependant on rain in the next month weather I'll get it grazed off or not,

RedPeppers wrote: »
    Total opposite here, grass is bombing it all summer long. Over 9 inches of rain in August. Never shook so little manure. Some paddocks here been grazed three times with no fert gone out. Will do one final round in next couple of days. Grass never the limiting factor on this farm its the ground that goes to shi*e every year.

In east Wicklow it's been very dry
    Only 1.4mm recorded last night for example
    This is limiting grass growth for obvious reasons
    However on the positive side,it means ground here might take a lot more rain than other parts of the country before trafficability suffers, so stock out until xmas even with milking cows may again be a runner
    Everything has trade offs

However on the positive side,it means ground here might take a lot more rain than other parts of the country before trafficability suffers, so stock out until xmas even with milking cows may again be a runner
    Rained for 2 hours here this morning

Rained for 2 hours here this morning

Nice drop here last night too. Its a nuisance but really didnt do much harm

• Advertisement

Rained for a good bit last night here and a couple of heavy showers this morning as well. Ground is holding up well atm, about normal for the time of year.

Still very warm, t-shirt weather once you avoid the showers. Going fencing today as ground is perfect for driving stakes with the loader, soft enough to drive 4inch posts enough to hold them until I get a post driver for a day.

Advertisement