Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the weather like in your area 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Thanks wrangler. I'll wrap them in the newspaper as lady haywire has suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Plenty of branches and a few trees down around the area. No major damage but a lot of rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Holy moly, the rain that just fell in Mohill town was unreal. Rivers running down the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,804 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Holy moly, the rain that just fell in Mohill town was unreal. Rivers running down the street.

I was topping earlier. Only one door on the tractor. Was drowned by the time I finished

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Wind very bad between 12 and 4 am this morning in west Roscommon. Very heavy rain here now since 3 o clock. Travelled to westport this morning and the further west I went, the less debris and trees were down. And it was supposed to be Mayo that had the orange weather warning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Is there much maize damaged?

Walked my own this morning and all pretty much OK. One low lying field has a very tall crop and that has the plants leaning over from the roots but its fine atm. Unfortunately plenty wind and rain here this evening so thats no help. There's 6 weeks growing still ahead.
    Ground conditions last year were bad. Harvester stuck took 3 x 200 hp tractors to get it out. Damaged shields and burned a belt. Left it for 2 weeks went back in with dual wheels on the harvester and finished it. Loader pushed the trailers but every load was almost full

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭Odelay

alps wrote: »
    Cork not going to get much tonight...Rosslare to take the brunt between 1 and 2 am..

Cork rougher tomorrow night between 8 and 9pm..

Say it isnt so..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭alps

Odelay wrote: »
    Say it isnt so..

Gone East...Cornwall and Devon going to get it...

Bit of a blow all night alright, but nothing to loose sleep over

If you're in N Kerry or W Clare, you'll need tie tie your hat down going for cows in the morning though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

the west of Ireland is well use to getting battered , unlike the rest .

like you have to experience a kick in the nut to know the pain ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Strong breeze here at least the rain has stopped. My dogs seem to stand out in a breeze and put their snouts up to it.. like they are enjoying the wind.. yesterday they just stood at the door and looked out. Clever collies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Rained a lot last night. Electricity returned after being gone for 2 days. That first hot cuppa tea tasted very sweet.

A few showers this morning. Fairly fed up of this weather now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

davidk1394 wrote: »
    A few showers this morning. Fairly fed up of this weather now.

Talk of another storm tuesday

Reggie. wrote: »
    Talk of another storm tuesday

I read that online. May sharpen the chain on the saw for another days work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Had a sick weanling here today. Totally drenched to the skin by the time I finished treating him. You know when you're so wet, the only thing to do is keep going and finish up.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Had a sick weanling here today. Totally drenched to the skin by the time I finished treating him. You know when you're so wet, the only thing to do is keep going and finish up.

Sweat or rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Calf here lame in the front leg. Amazingly they seem to run faster when lame when you want to treat them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭tanko

Mooooo wrote: »
    Calf here lame in the front leg. Amazingly they seem to run faster when lame when you want to treat them!

I remember being at a discussion group meeting years ago, a farmer was telling us about all the bother he had trying to catch scouring calves in a pen to treat them.
    A lad down the back pipes up “they mustn’t have been too sick if you couldn’t catch them”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Tuesday looking desperate again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

Shed prepared for cattle to go in tomorrow afternoon... It's only August but have to save what's left of decent ground.
    80mm rain to come in next 72hours ground just can't take it...

• Advertisement

grange mac wrote: »
    Shed prepared for cattle to go in tomorrow afternoon... It's only August but have to save what's left of decent ground.
    80mm rain to come in next 72hours ground just can't take it...

What part of the country are you in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

whelan2 wrote: »
    What part of the country are you in

Cork South West by Sea, vol rain in August so far over 250mm this month... Never seen likes of it. Lot milking guys down here have cows in by night over a week...

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Was a horrible day here also in North kerry. More like November weather.
    Must def be the wettest August on record and it isn't over yet !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Have all ready to put milkers in for tuesday. Looking like an awful 24 hours to come. Anyone in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭curiousinvestor

North kerry here also.
    5 heifers and a young bull on lovely grass, ploughing d place. Have 13 suckling calves in and out of a good field to a shed. Place black after them.
    Over 70 cattle indoors. The heat in one open shed this morning was cat. Cannot remember a smell of ammonia so strong.
    Was gona leave out the lightest cows and calves to a nice dry paddock with plenty grass and a big hedge on 2 sides. After I saw d forecast I.ll leave them inside.
    I toughen it for another week or so with the cattle in. Worst case is I'll set up some system to have the calves in and out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Another yellow rainfall warning for Monday night.
    https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1297498198945206278?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭MfMan

Alibaba wrote: »
    Was a horrible day here also in North kerry. More like November weather.
    Must def be the wettest August on record and it isn't over yet !

Leading a charmed life here in N Galway, missed out on the worst excesses of Ellen. Feeling our luck is to run out tomorrow night. Not a patch on last year though, when it started raining at the end of race week and didn't let up for 4 months, bar ploughing week.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Have all ready to put milkers in for tuesday. Looking like an awful 24 hours to come. Anyone in the same boat?

Same here, plan to milk them early tomorrow evening and bring them in before dark. With torrential rain forecast here in Galway tomorrow night makes no sense to leave them out. Probably will be in Tuesday too. The weather would sicken you

Is there any sign of any improvement?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    Is there any sign of any improvement?

Rain Tuesday and Thursday so nothing in the short term.

Advertisement