Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the weather like in your area 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

Mooooo wrote: »
    One week of dry weather hardly a dry spell

When I said Europe I meant dawggone's territory. Mainland Europe.

Not the Irish isles.

We had our own dry spell this year continued on from last year. I think I even started a thread " Will it ever rain again?" in the weather forum and it would have continued on that way to give us a record breaking drought and heatwave if that bl##dy ENSO didn't change back into a la Nina. If it had been gradually changing the way it was going we'd have been burnt out of it this summer. That's why I started the thread and it kept going for a few weeks in fairness till we got rain from the shift back in enso. The forecasts were forecasting rain but at the last minute the rain disappeared during that time.
    Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dzer2

Mooooo wrote: »
    Floki wrote: »
    Cool enough today. 8 to 9c.
    Could do with a bit of global warming here.

I see an interesting link that seems to be between cool Atlantic ocean temperatures and heatwaves and droughts in Europe. The recent dryspell being a continuation of this link.

One week of dry weather hardly a dry spell
    It is where Floki comes from a dry day equals drought conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Not the Irish isles.

We had our own dry spell this year continued on from last year. I think I even started a thread " Will it ever rain again?" in the weather forum and it would have continued on that way to give us a record breaking drought and heatwave if that bl##dy ENSO didn't change back into a la Nina. If it had been gradually changing the way it was going we'd have been burnt out of it this summer. That's why I started the thread and it kept going for a few weeks in fairness till we got rain from the shift back in enso. The forecasts were forecasting rain but at the last minute the rain disappeared during that time.
    Good times.

Apologies never copped Europe in your previous post.

dzer2 wrote: »
    It is where Floki comes from a dry day equals drought conditions

I think at this moment a dry day means you need your passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

To be fair wexford and east Wicklow has a dry summer climate versus the rest of the country
    In the last 3 summers even dryer than usual
    In practice this year that’s meant completely trafficable conditions all summer and ground that was able for the unusually wet September into October
    A whole different world to much of the west south and north

Though I’m buffer feeding the milking cows here for example in South Wicklow,I’m hoping to keep them out day and night until the first week in December
    They do have access to sheds and silage at night but invariably they go on out after they’ve had a feed
    This is easy on man and beast if you get me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,616 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Not the Irish isles.

Good times.

I’m suggesting a site wide ban for opening a thread with such a title :(

_Brian wrote: »
    I’m suggesting a site wide ban for opening a thread with such a title :(

I'm thinking my next thread will be "Will i ever win the euro millions?"
    Hmmm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Wet and cold here with a small bit of sun

Damn it’s cold out.
    But dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Damn it’s cold out.
    But dry.
    It was sunny today albeit with a biting cold wind.
    We spent from early morning blackleg vaccinating the main herd. We lost 3 nine/ten month olds bulls (2 WH and a FR) within two days (last week) on the dry outfarm :mad: We've moved that bunch home and vaccinated them on Thursday.
    We've never ever had a problem with blackleg here or on the two outfarms. Our Vet asked if we did any drainage or construction work on the outfarm that would disturb the soil - we haven't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Base price wrote: »
    We spent from early morning blackleg vaccinating the main herd. We lost 3 nine/ten month olds bulls (2 WH and a FR) within two days (last week) on the dry outfarm :mad: We've moved that bunch home and vaccinated them on Thursday.
    We've never ever had a problem with blackleg here or on the two outfarms. Our Vet asked if we did any drainage or construction work on the outfarm that would disturb the soil - we haven't.

Always inject for blackleg here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭White Clover

Mr perfect

Not again Jack! Thought you were banned?

Reggie. wrote: »

Never here, not ever.

Had land taken just upnthe road years back and it was a scourge there, odd isn’t it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Never inject for it here either yet a chap down the road lost 3 to it in a week a few years back, he'd never injected for it either as he never had it before.

Never here, not ever.

Had land taken just upnthe road years back and it was a scourge there, odd isn’t it.

I think liming (and drainage) helps get rid of it.

It's mainly a problem in anaerobic acid soil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Nice cut of a frost here. After a smashing day!

I think liming (and drainage) helps get rid of it.

It's mainly a problem in anaerobic acid soil.
    What do you mean by anaerobic acid soil. I understand about acidic (ph) levels and we spread lime on the farm.

Never here, not ever.

Never inject for it here either yet a chap down the road lost 3 to it in a week a few years back, he'd never injected for it either as he never had it before.
    Only ever had one case of blackleg here and that was when I was a teenager. As Brian says it's odd where it can occur on one farm yet not on the neighbours.

What do you mean by anaerobic acid soil. I understand about acidic (ph) levels and we spread lime on the farm.

Anaerobic - no oxygen compacted waterlogged generally rushy soil. I don't think the bacteria lasts too long when exposed to oxygen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Anaerobic - no oxygen waterlogged generally rushy soil. I don't think the bacteria lasts too long when exposed to oxygen.

Young bog in other words? That's fit in with the land where the three lost to it were on.

Just put the cats out and brrrr, tis colder than a witches tit out there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭The Rabbi

Young bog in other words? That's fit in with the land where the three lost to it were on.

Just put the cats out and brrrr, tis colder than a witches tit out there!

Never had the pleasure,but I'll take your word on it.

Frosty windows on the car here tonight.

Anaerobic - no oxygen compacted waterlogged generally rushy soil. I don't think the bacteria lasts too long when exposed to oxygen.
    The main out farm is on the side of a North/West facing hill. There are no rushes or water logged areas but there are a couple of rough acres of whins and furze that are wildlife habitats. The natural terrain allows that the rainfall/water runs off into the streams. OH and his Parents have used this out farm to over Winter stock over the years without any problems. The only difference is that this year, our neighbour farmer recently rented out some of his land to a lad who brought in lambs/hoggets to graze it.
    No offense to feckin white vermin but they don't have any respect for barbed wire or electric fences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,788 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Would they all have been bought in from the same herd? Lose an odd one on outfarm every few years and we vaccinate .

Hard white frost, looks nice but cold.

Hard white frost, looks nice but cold.

Aye took a good while to defrost the windscreen of the jeep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Aye took a good while to defrost the windscreen of the jeep

Heater broke aswell :D

Heater broke aswell :D

Ws talking about cow jeep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Smashing morning down here. Sun is out and the frost is just gone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Blackleg is a funny kind of thing, you never had it on your land and when it strikes you'll be very lucky to get away with losing just one. Lost three weanlings in the space of a week about ten years ago with it, lesson learned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

whelan2 wrote: »
    Would they all have been bought in from the same herd? Lose an odd one on outfarm every few years and we vaccinate .

Do you reuse the old bottles of vaccine Whelan? I think if it's been opened for a few days it's gone. I try to use it all the day I open it.

Advertisement