Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the weather like in your area 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭tanko

Blackleg is a funny kind of thing, you never had it on your land and when it strikes you'll be very lucky to get away with losing just one. Lost three weanlings in the space of a week about ten years ago with it, lesson learned.

Have you any idea what might have caused that, was there any digging going on around the place before they got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

tanko wrote: »
    Have you any idea what might have caused that, was there any digging going on around the place before they got it?

No there was no rooting done, it was a frosty week around this time of year I think. Some sickener to see apparently healthy cattle the day before capsized when you go herding. Started doing them then before I weaned them for a few years but lost another calf in June with it so everything gets done now when they are being dehorned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,788 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Do you reuse the old bottles of vaccine Whelan? I think if it's been opened for a few days it's gone. I try to use it all the day I open it.
    ye and for years we only gave them 1 shot, they now get 2. An old neighbour here reckoned if you vaccinated for blackleg they'd never get redwater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

Gone cold and wet here.
    Miserable sort of weather.

Lots of weather enthusiasts getting excited about the prospect of a cold winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Rains just stopped here
    Had a power cut during milking reminding me of how black dark it is at evening milking now
    Hooked up the Genny to finish,it’s back now
    I’d say a lot of ESB lines are one more storm short of trouble after their Ophelia weakening
    That’s 2 power cuts here since that storm both during milking :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Dickie10

a lot of rain coming friday night, dry for week after though

Raining

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

whelan2 wrote: »
    Raining

Non stop since 3pm yest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Non stop since 3pm yest

Yeah. Wasn't heavy here but constant. Right drop fell last night all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Places must be very wet. Have everything housed except weanlings and intend to house 12 of ( the 24) them in the next few days. Slow to house them when it is wet. However grass is growing so will have good covers in February. Land is hardly grazable at present. It is time to hunker down for a while anyway.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Cold enough morning this morning, cows still out by day

Cold enough morning this morning, cows still out by day

Lidl have ski gear this week,I got a fleece for a tenner and a wooly cap with a thermal lining for €4.99
    They’re working wonders today

Rained all day here yesterday
    All cattle in now except cows
    Target in for them still the first week of December ,though they do have access to yard ,cubicles and silage at night
    I’ve had to go out for them most mornings

Lidl have ski gear this week,I got a fleece for a tenner and a wooly cap with a thermal lining for €4.99
    They’re working wonders today

Rained all day here yesterday
    All cattle in now except cows
    Target in for them still the first week of December ,though they do have access to yard ,cubicles and silage at night
    I’ve had to go out for them most mornings
    Eldest lad gone to Adamstown in wexford for the leinster cross country race today. I assume the land will be heavy enough down there if it rained yesterday? He has plenty of practice running in the fields here.

Eldest lad gone to Adamstown in wexford for the leinster cross country race today. I assume the land will be heavy enough down there if it rained yesterday? He has plenty of practice running in the fields here.
    Seemingly Wexford town got hardly any
    Rain band stayed north of enniscorthy most of the time so Adamstown May have escaped

Seemingly Wexford town got hardly any
    Rain band stayed north of enniscorthy most of the time so Adamstown May have escaped

I wouldn't be a million miles from Adamstown and we got a good bit of rain last night and it rained again an hour ago.
    Land is in slop around here anyway.

Floki wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a million miles from Adamstown and we got a good bit of rain last night and it rained again an hour ago.

Go and cheer him on will ya

Yeah, I was talking to someone on the phone yesterday in Wexford (barntown area)and they could hear the rain on the roof up with me and were surprised
    The radar loop had the main rain band cut off somewhere over mid wexford
    Wexford town is only 30 miles south of me so a few miles either way made a difference
    Wall to wall sun here today and great drying in a cutting northeasterly

Go and cheer him on will ya

I'm dying with man flu.
    Barely able to milk the cows this morning.

Yeah, I was talking to someone on the phone yesterday in Wexford (barntown area)and they could hear the rain on the roof up with me and were surprised
    The radar loop had the main rain band cut off somewhere over mid wexford
    Wexford town is only 30 miles south of me so a few miles either way made a difference
    Wall to wall sun here today and great drying in a cutting northeasterly

It never rains from Oylegate down to wexford town. The same from east of enniscorthy to the coast. Then clonroche to taghmon wouldn't be too bad either.

If you're near the mountains or near the south coast it can be very damp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Good drying day here

• Advertisement

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Good drying day here

Same here in the whest. Could do with a few days if this. Nice burst of growth in last few days also.☺

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Good drying day here

Badly needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Nice dry sunny day here.Harvester buzzing at grass nearby. Passed baler and wrapper working earlier and there's a familiar agricultural "odour" in the air as well.

Nice dry sunny day here.Harvester buzzing at grass nearby. Passed baler and wrapper working earlier and there's a familiar agricultural "odour" in the air as well.

Silage still. Jaysus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Reggie. wrote: »
    Silage still. Jaysus

Yep just a mop up job. I think they tried baling some on Thursday but it was too wet and Fusion was failing to wrap them due to the weight. First and second cut long finished.

Silage still. Jaysus

Went to ardee yesterday. It's about 5miles away. I passed fields that had been baled in the last few days. Another field with about 40 round wheaten bales, which are still were they landed out of the baler a few months ago. Then the real sickner 2big fields about 40 acres with bales that were made ages ago with cattle eating the bales.... There's probably over 100 bales in the fields @ €25 / bale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Badly needed

Got a heap of washing done :D

Went to ardee yesterday. It's about 5miles away. I passed fields that had been baled in the last few days. Another field with about 40 round wheaten bales, which are still were they landed out of the baler a few months ago. Then the real sickner 2big fields about 40 acres with bales that were made ages ago with cattle eating the bales.... There's probably over 100 bales in the fields @ €25 / bale.
    Makes no sense that

Final cut on lawn today and bed of mower cleaned.

• Advertisement

Floki wrote: »
    Was very mucky, he lost his spikes going through a gap, ran on in his socks, his team came third and are through to the all Irelands next month in Waterford.

Advertisement