Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the weather like in your area 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭I says

Rain and cold the wind from the east-north east

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

alps wrote: »
    They say Spring moves up through Spain and France and then starts at the southwest coast, works it's way around the coast and then starts heading inland....so..

At the first instance that you are sure you saw a regrowth...I'm going at fert....

Yesterday was the first day of spring here. Temps hit 16 and today was 17. Latest spring here with many years.

I was talking with an old boy the other night and he said that the easterly wind wets more than it drys...true this year anyhow. WAs applying herbicide to wheat and ground is surprisingly dry even after so much rain.
    The jet stream has definitely had an impact this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Unfortunately current indications suggest the beast from the east may return with a vengeance by next weekend and by the following week every bit as fierce as last week

I’m not particularly comfortable with the level of glee over in the weather forum at this prospect so won’t be posting there
    I will keep ye updated
    Raining here tonight and still a lot of snow in the yard and the fields
    I hope to fcuk we’re not literally going to see the old saying come into action that when there’s snow on the ground some more has to come to take it away

There’s actually an avalanche warning for the Wicklow mountains in operation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭giveitholly

good man george,keep us up to date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Thanks for the advance warning George. We had a serious problem in the calf shed during storm Emma and that wicked baltic East wind even though we stuffed the 8"/10" gap between the top of the wall and the roof with straw. The wind was so strong that it blew the straw away on the Wednesday night and some of the calves got a bad chill. We ended up putting the calves into trailers/lorries/ 6 in a transit van to keep them shielded on Thursday. Many of them developed scour and even with heat lamps/rugs and a visit from the Vet on the Friday we've lost 4 so far with another 2 still fighting, although I reckon one of them is not going to make it.
    OH and I were looking at the gap after the event and trying to think of a removable wind break thingie that could be put up when the East wind was blowing but easily removed during less inclement weather for air circulation. We have several 12' lengths of plank that we could fashion with a hinge and catch type arrangement to lift/flick into place.
    Unfortunately I thought that it was going to be a Summer job but we need to put the skates on and get it sorted early this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Base price wrote: »
    Thanks for the advance warning George. We had a serious problem in the calf shed during storm Emma and that wicked baltic East wind even though we stuffed the 8"/10" gap between the top of the wall and the roof with straw. The wind was so strong that it blew the straw away on the Wednesday night and some of the calves got a bad chill. We ended up putting the calves into trailers/lorries/ 6 in a transit van to keep them shielded on Thursday. Many of them developed scour and even with heat lamps/rugs and a visit from the Vet on the Friday we've lost 4 so far with another 2 still fighting, although I reckon one of them is not going to make it.
    OH and I were looking at the gap after the event and trying to think of a removable wind break thingie that could be put up when the East wind was blowing but easily removed during less inclement weather for air circulation. We have several 12' lengths of plank that we could fashion with a hinge and catch type arrangement to lift/flick into place.
    Unfortunately I thought that it was going to be a Summer job but we need to put the skates on and get it sorted early this week.
    Could old carpet work just draped down or would it take too much carpet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

BP - have you seen these? I hope to get some for the larger shed - havnt done it yet though ...

http://odwyersteel.ie/wind-breakers/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Unfortunately current indications suggest the beast from the east may return with a vengeance by next weekend and by the following week every bit as fierce as last week

I’m not particularly comfortable with the level of glee over in the weather forum at this prospect so won’t be posting there
    I will keep ye updated
    Raining here tonight and still a lot of snow in the yard and the fields
    I hope to fcuk we’re not literally going to see the old saying come into action that when there’s snow on the ground some more has to come to take it away

There’s actually an avalanche warning for the Wicklow mountains in operation

Ffs not again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

OUTLOOK ... More unsettled weather for several days, temperatures near average for mid-March, then models begin to suggest the approach of colder air again although so far they are inot bringing it all the way to Ireland (it tends to stall out near Scotland but higher pressure builds over northern Europe in about ten days' time.) So we'll have to watch this for any potential to bring a small return of wintry weather, not that definite it could even happen yet.
    ...mt craniums take on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

ganmo wrote: »
    It might be the grass straightening up after being flattened

Grass is as plenty as ever just not quiet as long.☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Could old carpet work just draped down or would it take too much carpet ?
    gozunda wrote: »
    BP - have you seen these? I hope to get some for the larger shed - havnt done it yet though ...

The shed is a old type five bay slatted unit that we used for finishing cattle - when finishing cattle was profitable :rolleyes:.
    It has a shorter lean too shed on the East side about two thirds of its length. The lean too shed roof is about 18" lower than the overhanging slatted roof and imo it exacerbates the Easterly wind iykwim.
    @ charolais - carpet would work as a short term solution but we would have to climb and walk over old galvanised roofs in order to fit it.
    @ gozunda - I have seen those types of wind breakers over the years. In our situation I reckon we need a more thorough solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭The Rabbi

I had feeling it could be a repeat of 1978?,same sh.. two weeks later.Weather repeats in similar patterns often.Late last night I heard birds(father called them pillibeans) and the sky was very red this evening.Very strange for conditions at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

gozunda wrote: »

bought 1 last year for calves, fook all good calves blown out of it still had to put bales in shed for them to shelter behind,put up gate with sheets on it this year and its a great job,can open up when weather is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The shed is a old type five bay slatted unit that we used for finishing cattle - when finishing cattle was profitable :rolleyes:.
    It has a shorter lean too shed on the East side about two thirds of its length. The lean too shed roof is about 18" lower than the overhanging slatted roof and imo it exacerbates the Easterly wind iykwim.
    @ charolais - carpet would work as a short term solution but we would have to climb and walk over old galvanised roofs in order to fit it.
    @ gozunda - I have seen those types of wind breakers over the years. In our situation I reckon we need a more thorough solution.

This is what we have in walls in the calf shed.
    Tall round roof shed with 6 sheets at the top lifted for ventilation. 30 x 45. The wall in the pic is facing south. Two doors open in to shed on eastern side but the top half of the door we walk in and out can be opened on it's own to last more air in about 8 feet above the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ffs not again

This mornings output is better
    But when it’s changing that much,it’s not trustworthy
    The jet going into Morocco is not our friend though
    We are not out of the woods untill that comes back up north
    I wouldn’t stand down yet!

Still plenty snow around here in patchy drifts in the middle of fields and big drifts at ditches

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mtx

Will it ever stop raining???? How can anyone farm with any sort of cows in this weather?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Mtx wrote: »
    Will it ever stop raining???? How can anyone farm with any sort of cows in this weather?

Was hoping to get cows back out today but not a hope after last night. I built more winter accommodation last year, kept alot of animals out till Xmas, and was wondering did I even need it considering I might get away with a 6wk housing period, but well and truly glad I have it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Cold and damp today, nasty chill in the air. Good drop of rain last night and looking like next week before cows out at this stage.

Miserable year so far, isn't it:0

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mtx

Timmaay wrote: »
    Mtx wrote: »

Was hoping to get cows back out today but not a hope after last night. I built more winter accommodation last year, kept alot of animals out till Xmas, and was wondering did I even need it considering I might get away with a 6wk housing period, but well and truly glad I have it now.
    Our cows won't be out until start of June!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

There is a status yellow rainfall warning in place from 11pm tonight to midnight Thursday night in line southwards from Limerick to Wicklow with up to 50mm of rain forecast to fall in places.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/rainfall-warning-up-to-50mm-of-rain-predicted-354726

Be careful out there, folks.

• Advertisement

There is a status yellow rainfall warning in place from 11pm tonight to midnight Thursday night in line southwards from Limerick to Wicklow with up to 50mm of rain forecast to fall in places.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/rainfall-warning-up-to-50mm-of-rain-predicted-354726

Be careful out there, folks.

Ball sacks have heifers let out but little choice as they were out before the snow and taking up a shed I need with cows in. May have to bring in to yard tomorrow.rain just started here now bit a wind with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Mooooo wrote: »
    Ball sacks have heifers let out but little choice as they were out before the snow and taking up a shed I need with cows in. May have to bring in to yard tomorrow.rain just started here now bit a wind with it

Same here, don't think I've a choice to bring them back in tho, the few 8month old beef animals they were in with were struggling. Milkers back out today, hoping to fook Wicklow misses the worst of that front tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Nearly back to normal here after the snow and it looks like I’ll have to be ready for another round sat/sun

Fecking floods in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Angus2018

Left a gate open for hedge cutting last month and when I went to close it I found it under a metre of snow still. Going to be seeing mounds till April at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Sweet Jesus the rain. Ground swimming. Pools of water everywhere. Rivers flooding out into fields. Fields flooding out onto roads.
    Nasty nasty spring .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus the rain. Ground swimming. Pools of water everywhere. Rivers flooding out into fields. Fields flooding out onto roads.
    Nasty nasty spring .

Hold onto it there...thats a good lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,792 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Just windy here. Hopefully we have escaped the rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Hold onto it there...thats a good lad

We hold onto more than our fair share,
    We're no strangers to rain down here but ground has had very little chance to dry out. The cold dry spell before the snow is all I can think of since September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Wet and wild. With added wind and rain.

Advertisement