Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the weather like in your area 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The best way to describe today is scuttery.

Scuttery wind.

Scuttery rain.

Scuttery day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Brutal morning here again. It's now when the dust has settled after the snow that I really feel it for the farmers who lost sheds etc, every single square inch of shedspace in use at the minute. Another burst of calving hitting also, so flat-out juggling cows around again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Saw a few interesting posts on Twitter about the weather in general and how winters are getting wetter and milder (recent snow notwithstanding).

You'd be feeding cattle for 6 months of the year back when I was a lad (1980s and 90s), maybe a bit less for sheep. But nowadays winters seem to last for 7-8 months.

Anyway, that's just nostalgia I guess.

The serious part is what are farmers going to do in the medium- to long-term to try reduce pressure from these wetter winters. We can reduce stocking rates and buy more feed but when will it become too much and the small few Euro in it completely disappears?

Answers on a postcard?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

Wind and rain all day here. Still feels cold too but jeep said 11 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

I think social media magnifies the negative. My twitter news feed is full of woe about the weather and milk price.
    My dad who has farmed here for going on 60 years doesn't think it's that bad and it will pass in a week or so.
    One of my earliest farming memories is a ewe lambing in the snow it was the last days of March, I am not sure the weather is changing that much but our perception of it is changing because of social media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I'm married 22 years and I remember on our very first Valentine's Day we were able to drive round the fields with a tractor and trailer spreading FYM. Romantic, or what??? But anyway, the fields were dry, the sky was blue and we were as happy as pigs in muck!! You wouldn't even be able to walk in the same fields these days and still have wellies at the end. Was thinking that tomorrow (I think) is the last day for topping LIPP - sigh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

KatyMac wrote: »
    I'm married 22 years and I remember on our very first Valentine's Day we were able to drive round the fields with a tractor and trailer spreading FYM. Romantic, or what??? But anyway, the fields were dry, the sky was blue and we were as happy as pigs in muck!! You wouldn't even be able to walk in the same fields these days and still have wellies at the end. Was thinking that tomorrow (I think) is the last day for topping LIPP - sigh!

Wonder is it weather cycles or a major change in the weather. Our minds will only remember the best memories from years gone by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I remember 2005, 2006 and 2007 where there was warm dry weather until well past the ploughing match and we were told this is climate change and we should get used to it. We were sitting on the ground watching the ploughing in T-shirts and eating ice cream.

I remember 2008, 2009 and 2010 when the weather broke in early September and flooded the ploughing and we were told it was climate change and we should get used to it.

Warm, wet spring=climate change
    Cold, dry spring=climate change
    Warm, dry spring=climate change
    Cold, wet spring=climate change

Well, common sense should be telling us that 'they' probably haven't a clue what they're talking about most of the time.

Whatever the weather brings, we should be trying to put reserves in place like stocks of silage in good years to ease the burden of poor years.

Tbh, I'm starting to doubt a lot of the commentary about climate, it just looks to me like special interest groups using any opportunity to gain credibility.

I remember 2005, 2006 and 2007 where there was warm dry weather until well past the ploughing match and we were told this is climate change and we should get used to it. We were sitting on the ground watching the ploughing in T-shirts and eating ice cream.

I remember 2008, 2009 and 2010 when the weather broke in early September and flooded the ploughing and we were told it was climate change and we should get used to it.

Well, common sense should be telling us that 'they' probably haven't a clue what they're talking about most of the time.

Whatever the weather brings, we should be trying to put reserves in place like stocks of silage in good years to ease the burden of poor years.

Tbh, I'm starting to doubt a lot of the commentary about climate, it just looks to me like special interest groups using any opportunity to gain credibility.

Fully agree

Biblical floods tonight here in Wicklow. Gonna have to go to plan B with housing for the milkers not enough cubicles here and back busy calving, will be 80 on 60 cubicles in a day or so. May source some energy for the cows also, protein crashed to 3.04, lowest reading in several years here. By far the worst March I've experienced weather wise here.

• Advertisement

Climate change I think is undoubtedly happening. Southern Europe is definitely experiencing hotter summers, as is California, basically largely landmasses see the extremes sooner. Luckily for us we are sitting on the edge of the Atlantic and haven't been hit with much extremes above what we are used of already. The gulf stream is our saving bacon, once that stays as it is we'll be grand, however if we get any more regular shifts like what happened with the snow 2wks ago then we could be in trouble.

The one thing I'll say about climate change, I don't think there will be this big tipping point that people harp on about, it's much more gradual than that, the tipping point argument comes from our inability to worry about longer term issues, instead every single freak weather event gets dubbed as clear evident of climate change to try and generate a news story out of it. Instead we need to look at longer term trends, and as I already said thankfully Ireland appears to be avoiding the worst of it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

And would you look at that, it's finally stopped raining.

TITANIUM. wrote: »

Yeah turning to snow now I hear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

It's a lovely mild (and dare I say it sunny) day here in the banner today! Rain forecast for later though I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

TITANIUM. wrote: »

You jinxed it fcuker of a morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Lovely morning in Leitrim! Was a bastard of a night though. Pissy rain being whipped about by the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Lovely morning in Leitrim! Was a bastard of a night though. Pissy rain being whipped about by the wind.

Lovely day here 11degrees and sunshine :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,792 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Raining all morning :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭tanko

It's looking like there will be no improvement in this crap weather in March at least.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Raining all morning :(

That band missed us thank God, water still gushing out of drains from the last few days rain here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

On my way to Bundorn for Patrick's weekend it's pissing down all morning.
    Would not put a duck out in it.

tanko wrote: »
    It's looking like there will be no improvement in this crap weather in March at least.

Has the cold snap early next week passed? Yr longterm saying nothing but rain. Was nearly looking forward to the hard frost on monday to get out some slurry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Good day here,was badly wanted after the last few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

What a glorious evening, blue skis with the odd cloud. Lovely and warm. Hard to believe there's cold weather on the way. A week of this and everything would be out of the shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A beautiful sunny morning here although the fields are white with frost. Not long home after driving from Kilkenny while appreciating the clear/uncloudy sunrise . I stopped off at Ballinalack for coffee just after 6 and the birds were singing their heads off.
    I can feel Spring in the air :rolleyes:

Base price wrote: »
    A beautiful sunny morning here although the fields are white with frost. Not long home after driving from Kilkenny while appreciating the clear/uncloudy sunrise . I stopped off at Ballinalack for coffee just after 6 and the birds were singing their heads off.
    I can feel Spring in the air :rolleyes:

That Place does some business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭I says

Reggie. wrote: »
    That Place does some business

It does alright plenty of people employed in it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Some sun out now...feels like a summers morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Can we have a week of this please?

• Advertisement

Can we have a week of this please?

Did ya put in the application

Advertisement