Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unwanted dog in garden?

• 30-10-2016 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

We live out in the country and our dog has free run in the garden. She's a bichon frise, and is quite small. Lately, there's been a dog coming into our garden (a jack russell mix) that we don't know the owner or where it comes from. Its bigger than our dog, and it worries me that it will turn nasty toward our dog. What legal rights do we have to keep this dog out of the garden, and what could we do to keep it out? The layout of the and is such that we can't block under the gate as it has to open, so that is not an option, which complicates things.
    Whoever owns this dog obviously has absolutely no control over it, and I'd prefer if it didn't come into our garden, especially as it seems to leave a deposit here as well.
    Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Is your dog neutered? could she be coming into heat?
    Is the JRT a male? Is he neutered?

If hes been coming in with no aggression so far, I wouldnt worry too much on that score - he's obviously 'local' coming to visit - has he got a collar/tag on? Look for a tag/phone number? You could attach a note to his collar asking owner to phone you?? You could follow him home?

Assume he is owned and not straying/hungry looking/in trouble?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Next time he is in your garden contain him and call the dog warden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Next time he is in your garden contain him and call the dog warden?

Bit drastic as a first step I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Felexicon wrote: »

Why would that be drastic? If there's any sheep or lambs around I'm sure they'd appreciate the dog being curtailed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Why would that be drastic? If there's any sheep or lambs around I'm sure they'd appreciate the dog being curtailed.

It's drastic because the dog will be put to sleep 5 days later if the dog warden picks him up.
    Perhaps he's escaping without the owner knowing or perhaps he's a stray and calling a rescue (if no owner can be found) will help him find a new home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

bring him to your local vet he might be chipped?

Felexicon wrote: »

Really? The OP said they live out in the country. I'd have thought it was standard practice.

If people can't keep their dogs under control then they have to expect they will be picked up. Safer in the pound than worrying livestock or getting knocked down.

I've a neighbor who shoots strange dogs on his property on sight so I think the dog warden is mild by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MetalBren

I think its male, I don't know if its neutered. I didn't see a collar on it.
    My dog has been neutered.
    I'm puzzled as to where this dog is coming from. My neighbours across the way have a dog that stays in the garden, that fine. Apart from that, no one close owns a dog that could get out, so I assume its a stray.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

It's drastic because the dog will be put to sleep 5 days later if the dog warden picks him up.
    Perhaps he's escaping without the owner knowing or perhaps he's a stray and calling a rescue (if no owner can be found) will help him find a new home.

I don't think it's drastic at all. If the dog attacks a small child or other animals, or gets knocked down or causes an accident, then it'll be too late then to call the dog warden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

MetalBren wrote: »
    I think its male, I don't know if its neutered. I didn't see a collar on it.
    My dog has been neutered.
    I'm puzzled as to where this dog is coming from. My neighbours across the way have a dog that stays in the garden, that fine. Apart from that, no one close owns a dog that could get out, so I assume its a stray.

If you assume its a stray, the kind thing to do would be (1) give him food and water (2) call the nearest rescues to see if they will take it or where you can take it to (3) take a photo and post it on the many facebook pages for lost/stray dogs - e.g kildare pet detective etc. Imagine if your little dog strayed - how scared and stressed she would be, be kind to this little chap and help him on his way :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MetalBren

aonb wrote: »
    If you assume its a stray, the kind thing to do would be (1) give him food and water (2) call the nearest rescues to see if they will take it or where you can take it to (3) take a photo and post it on the many facebook pages for lost/stray dogs - e.g kildare pet detective etc. Imagine if your little dog strayed - how scared and stressed she would be, be kind to this little chap and help him on his way :o

I think I'll do that next time I see him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

aonb wrote:
    If you assume its a stray, the kind thing to do would be (1) give him food and water (2) call the nearest rescues to see if they will take it or where you can take it to (3) take a photo and post it on the many facebook pages for lost/stray dogs - e.g kildare pet detective etc. Imagine if your little dog strayed - how scared and stressed she would be, be kind to this little chap and help him on his way

This exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

i sense dog class wars, put it this way op,if it was your little cupcake roaming free what would you like your neighbour to do?

my suggestion is to go with your heart..

All this nonsense about sheep and dogs and dog wardens are not where you want to be going,for the most part, country people like animals and also see purpose in keeping them, sheep/money/meat terriers/rats etc

The last thing you need is heading up to a farmers door / Mrs no-nonsense murphy and complaining cupcake was being worried and stressed by the mix terrier,make friends not enemys

the type of dog/s mentioned re-sheep are dealt with without the intervention of wardens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

But what if the dog was stolen and has now been dumped? How are the original owners meant to find the dog if the warden isn't involved? By law a rescue can't just take a dog in and rehome it, well they can, but they have to notify the warden and Gards, and then the dog won't belong to anyone else until 366 days later. Sending a dog to the pound isn't an automatic death sentence, it all depends which pound it is. And unfortunately even if the dog is pts in a pound, it may be a kinder outcome than having it being knocked down or shot.

Does the dog warden not check strays for microchips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

How about trying to follow it to see where it goes when it leaves your place? Owners could be at work and not know that their dog has found a sneaky gap in the fence to escape when they're not around. I'd certainly like to know if that was the case.

Alternatively, I'd follow advice of poster who suggested food, water and maybe take it to vet to check for a chip. It could be somebody's beloved lost pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Any vet can read the microchip. I would avoid any action that could end up with the dog going to a pound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

this is exactly what dog wardens are meant to deal with!
    give the council a buzz and the warden can guide ya in what the next step should be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

aonb wrote: »

Well, i echo this - with the addition to INFORM the dog warden about the dog and the steps you are taking. The warden here has no problem with that at all and will take note of the description of the dog. Not saying they are all like that but it would be an option to think about....

Advertisement