Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Card payments - minimum spend?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I am charged 25c for each transaction I receive from a debit card & 3% from a credit card. I can see why shops have a minimum spend.
    I have the opposite problem. If I supply & fit a product for 800 euro I'm getting about 100 for the fitting part. It kills me that almost 25 euro comes out of the 100. It makes a huge difference to me if someone uses a credit rather than a debit card

Well you pay double what we the cardholder pay , because in our case it is capped at 2% of transaction value or maximum 11.43e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Ok. It seems no matter what, banks are bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ok. It seems no matter what, banks are bastards

As before, this isn't After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

L1011 wrote: »
    As before, this isn't After Hours.

Apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Head Wreck wrote: »
    The nearst shop is about 6 miles away. They don't accept card payments at all so really we have no choice. Nearest ATM is 10 miles away

Quelle suprise... He knows folk have nowhere else to go so will cheerfully rip them off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I am charged 25c for each transaction I receive from a debit card & 3% from a credit card. I can see why shops have a minimum spend.
    I have the opposite problem. If I supply & fit a product for 800 euro I'm getting about 100 for the fitting part. It kills me that almost 25 euro comes out of the 100. It makes a huge difference to me if someone uses a credit rather than a debit card

You need to change your merchant processor.

Payment Plus / Barclaycard merchant services will charge you less than 1% for standard credit cards and less than 0.7% for debit cards. And even lower rates if you have reasonable volume.

Elavon are not much higher.

3% is just a ridiculous rate and no retailer should be paying that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Treadhead wrote: »
    Quelle suprise... He knows folk have nowhere else to go so will cheerfully rip them off.

What evidence is there is ripping anyone off? They merely expect payment in legal tender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

What evidence is there is ripping anyone off? They merely expect payment in legal tender.

If you have a card terminal and you charge 50c for every transaction on top of the original price of the goods, you are ripping people off. In a rural area with no bank machines what are people supposed to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Edups wrote: »
    If you have a card terminal and you charge 50c for every transaction on top of the original price of the goods, you are ripping people off.

If you subsidise people paying for small amounts with cards and put the prices up for everyone else, then you are ripping people off.
    In a rural area with no bank machines what are people supposed to do?

Most people in rural areas pass a bank machine once a week or so in the course of their normal travels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭M94

If you have a card terminal and you charge 50c for every transaction on top of the original price of the goods, you are ripping people off.

If you subsidise people paying for small amounts with cards and put the prices up for everyone else, then you are ripping people off.

Most people in rural areas pass a bank machine once a week or so in the course of their normal travels.

Much more convenient to carry a card instead of cash all the time. Don't know about everyone else but I don't carry my wallet with me all the time I just have my phone, card and my keys in the pocket if I carry cash it is much easier to lose it.

• Advertisement

M94 wrote: »
    Much more convenient to carry a card instead of cash all the time. Don't know about everyone else but I don't carry my wallet with me all the time I just have my phone, card and my keys in the pocket if I carry cash it is much easier to lose it.

+1

Just this weekend I lost 20 euro, that's gone now for good, I lose my card I cancel it but I didn't lose the 20. In this day and age there's no excuse for card limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

+1

Just this weekend I lost 20 euro, that's gone now for good, I lose my card I cancel it but I didn't lose the 20. In this day and age there's no excuse for card limits.

Perhaps take more care of your money get a wallet and put you cash and cards in it and maybe try minding it.

When you loose your card and get another the costs of that replacement are passed on to all the other cardholders.

Card limits are very carefully decided(its based on how much they think you can pay back and in what period). Try paying off your full bill every month for six months and see if it increases.

:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Books4you

I work in a small shop. We used to have a minimum spend of €10 or if it's under a .20c charge. With about 8 months now though we have no minimum and it makes my life so much easier!! Just remember that not all people that work there set the rules so please don't eat the head off of us! It is all to do with how much the retailer gets charged if you come in and want to put €1 on your card. It's just not feasible.

Saying that my local centra still has a €5 minimum spend and they have way, way more business than we do so not sure why that is. You would think they would have none as they could surely get a better deal on a terminal than a small independent shop.

Xcom2 wrote: »
    Perhaps take more care of your money get a wallet and put you cash and cards in it and maybe try minding it.

When you loose your card and get another the costs of that replacement are passed on to all the other cardholders.

Card limits are very carefully decided(its based on how much they think you can pay back and in what period). Try paying off your full bill every month for six months and see if it increases.

:-)

I was referring to shops setting limits, I don't own a credit card. And perhaps you don't try and assume how my money is stored? :)

I do think though you should always have some cash on you. Even if it's a €10 note thats is your phone case or whatever. Can never understand no cash at all on people. Just have it in case. It really is not that hard and there is no excuse not to.

Saying i lost €20 last week is not an excuse, it just means you a careless person and need to learn to manage your money!

Books4you wrote: »
    I do think though you should always have some cash on you. Even if it's a €10 note thats is your phone case or whatever. Can never understand no cash at all on people. Just have it in case. It really is not that hard and there is no excuse not to.

Saying i lost €20 last week is not an excuse, it just means you a careless person and need to learn to manage your money!

I don't need any excuse? I don't carry cash and I don't WANT to carry it. I'll use my debit card for whatever I want to buy, I live within a 30 second walk of a Dunnes Stores and a 15 minutes walk from Aldi and Lidl, of them none have minimum card limits. I don't even know why I'm bothering to say any of this, it's really nothing to do with anyone what I use to pay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭M94

I do think though you should always have some cash on you. Even if it's a 10 note thats is your phone case or whatever. Can never understand no cash at all on people. Just have it in case. It really is not that hard and there is no excuse not to.

Saying i lost 20 last week is not an excuse, it just means you a careless person and need to learn to manage your money!

If I want to pay with my card then the shop should be able to provide that service without a fee if not I will take my shopping somewhere else that accepts cards and does not punish you for using them. And what do you mean careless you never lost anything in your life ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Cards and the like are the present and future of payments. Cash has lots of downsides and is decreasing in use. Paying for goods/services is a cost of business that should be borne by the business just like lighting, staff etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Joseph wrote: »
    Cards and the like are the present and future of payments. Cash has lots of downsides and is decreasing in use. Paying for goods/services is a cost of business that should be bourne by the business just like lighting, staff etc.

Spot on. It's small-time thinking from entrepreneurs to discourage use of cards, and especially contactless.

Half of them probably don't realise the time it saves putting 10 cent coins into money bags and bringing them to a bank. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Spot on. It's small-time thinking from entrepreneurs to discourage use of cards, and especially contactless.

Half of them probably don't realise the time it saves putting 10 cent coins into money bags and bringing them to a bank. :rolleyes:

Oh I think there is a particular motivation to keep cash rather than an electronic paper trail... and it's not the joy of change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭flossy1

Skatedude wrote: »
    The banks charge a minimum charge per transaction and the shops will often lose money on sales if they are less then a tenner or so. but most stations have atm's so you can usually get cash
    where there are atm's in stations you still have to pay bank charges.Also i hear the banks are going to charge a % to the station for cash back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Nope it is because of the exorbitant costs they pay to provide that service.

you realise they make a small margin and that margin is wiped out by the change for using the card service.

Of course the big chains can negotiate better terms and conditions hence they have no limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Nope it is because of the exorbitant costs they pay to provide that service.

you realise they make a small margin and that margin is wiped out by the change for using the card service.

Of course the big chains can negotiate better terms and conditions hence they have no limits.
    Cash has cost just like digital transactions, except cash costs are harder to track (e.g. time spent by employees dealing with cash, counting, bringing to bank, bank charges, getting coins delivered, cash picked up, cash in transit vans etc). Cash doesn't make sense. It definitely had a purpose and still has some purpose but really it is an outdated method of payment that is declining because people prefer (generally speaking) the ease of digital payments.

Yes big chains can negotiate better terms but that is the case for every aspect of their business costs. There are also so many different flexible options for taking card payments these days besides just the merchant services offered by banks. The trouble is businesses like small shops typically aren't particularly innovative and are being dragged by the heels. They need to pay attention to what the market wants.

Personally I have walked out of shops that don't accept cards or imposed minimum transaction spend and have bluntly told them why. Sure if it's the case they need to charge an extra 50c to cover transaction costs (which is madness in itself) why not add 15c to cover staff time, 10 cent for cleaning cost etc etc. Include the cost of doing business in your margin like with every other aspect of your business!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Joseph wrote: »
    Cards and the like are the present and future of payments. Cash has lots of downsides and is decreasing in use. Paying for goods/services is a cost of business that should be bourne by the business just like lighting, staff etc.

Costs of light, staff, etc aren't borne by the business. They're paid for by the revenue the business take in from customers.

If a business that's put in a minimum amount to cover their charges then removes it, the business isn't going to bear the cost, other customers are. Prices will go up to cover the difference. It's up to the shop to decide whether losing the odd customer over the card thing is worth it.

You're free not to shop there. If at some point if the majority of people are using cards and it's costing them too many customers, then it's in the shop's interest to drop the charge.

MOH wrote: »
    Costs of light, staff, etc aren't borne by the business. They're paid for by the revenue the business take in from customers.

If a business that's put in a minimum amount to cover their charges then removes it, the business isn't going to bear the cost, other customers are. Prices will go up to cover the difference. It's up to the shop to decide whether losing the odd customer over the card thing is worth it.

You're free not to shop there. If at some point if the majority of people are using cards and it's costing them too many customers, then it's in the shop's interest to drop the charge.

How is staff, light etc cost not borne by the business? These are costs they incur by operating a business. Yes theoretically they are paid for by the revenue the business makes if the business makes enough revenue to cover these covers but the exact same thing can be said for payment fees - the business covers this with their revenue (or should).

M94 wrote: »
    If I want to pay with my card then the shop should be able to provide that service without a fee if not I will take my shopping somewhere else that accepts cards and does not punish you for using them. And what do you mean careless you never lost anything in your life ever?

Ah give me a break! Stick a tenner in your pocket, end of. I can already picture your type by the tone of your comments. Everyone these days just love having a sense of entitlement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Ah give me a break! Stick a tenner in your pocket, end of. I can already picture your type by the tone of your comments. Everyone these days just love having a sense of entitlement.

Does anybody else picture the "one can already picture youuuuuuur type" type saying it like that, a big drawn out yooooooor, while looking down their nose at someone.

Who pi55ed in books4yourtypes cornflakes and tried to charge for the privilege?

Does anybody else picture the "one can already picture youuuuuuur type" type saying it like that, a big drawn out yooooooor, while looking down their nose at someone.

Who pi55ed in books4yourtypes cornflakes and tried to charge for the privilege?

Whoever did probably wouldn't accept cash either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thread has run its course

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement