Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackhorse Avenue Road Works

Options
  • 31-10-2016 3:59am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There are currently quite extensive road works going on at Park Crescent on Blackhorse Avenue in Dublin 7. There is a one way system in operation with temporary traffic lights.

I live right beside the road works and I have to say that progress seems very slow at times. The works are not due to be completed until Spring 2017. Does anyone else think that these works are taking an inordinately long time?

Give your views here...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

JupiterKid wrote: »
    There are currently quite extensive road works going on at Park Crescent on Blackhorse Avenue in Dublin 7. There is a one way system in operation with temporary traffic lights.

I live right beside the road works and I have to say that progress seems very slow at times. The works are not due to be completed until Spring 2017. Does anyone else think that these works are taking an inordinately long time?

Give your views here...

At least I now know to avoid it for another 6 months!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The details of the works are outlined on the DCC website here.

Essentially they are reconstructing the road / footpath and creating a new boundary wall. The lighting and water infrastructure is also being upgraded. It's a fair bit of work, but I agree with you that progress seems excruciatingly slow. There never seems to be many workers on site and not much seems to get done day to day.

DCC have allowed 13 months for the contractor to complete the work. It's a 500m stretch of road, I would have thought DCC could have found a contractor who would have completed the work much quicker.

Do you know if any local residents raised their concerns about the length of time set aside for these works??

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mikekerry

It's very slow not helped by the delay in getting ESB on site.
    Also work is 8-5 mon-fri.
    Surely they should at least be working on Saturdays also.
    Very few workers on site a lot of the time and very awkward for residents driving out from their houses and when they exit their driveways as it's doen to one lane their is usually cars coming against them

Apparently these roadworks won't be completed now till late summer/autumn time.
    Well over a year by the time they are completed for about 500 metres of road!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I wonder about these sort of slow works - I always think it is a case of not really having the money to do it quicker. Govt. underfunds the councils and there is no real incentive for an urban council like DCC to raise more money as the govt. will just cut their grant / take money away for the rural councils. So they try to eek out the finance for anything going beyond routine maintenance across several budget periods. Looking at the wider picture it is a false economy of course but if these costs cannot be measured on DDCs balance sheet its all good! I wonder how I could confirm my conspiracy theories?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

These roadworks are taking a ridiculous amount of time.:mad:

They are not even half way finished and it started last june. nearly 9 months now!
    there is usually only around 3 people working on it every day.
    makes a snail look like usain bolt!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

This surely has been one of the longest running roadworks in the entire city? It's still ongoing and it seems there's only ever a couple of people on-site.

DCC notification of works states it may continue until July 2017. That timeline even seems ambitious given the current progress of the works.

It's hard to believe that these roadworks are still underway. They were meant to finish last July but there is no end in sight.

It's a year next week since the road works began. One year to carry out 500m of roadworks is a bit ridiculous. I've only noticed a couple of people on site, you'd have to question the decision making behind the awarding of this contract.

they have actually being going on since last may.

• Advertisement

mikekerry wrote: »
    they have actually being going on since last may.

Since May 2016? That's shocking.

It's an absolute disgrace and a serious inconvenience to me as I live very close by. It's nothing short of utter incompetence and mismanagement on the part of DCC.:mad:

Apparently these works will not be finished until January at the earliest.

Apparently these works will not be finished until January at the earliest.

January 2028 maybe? Honestly, these roadworks are a complete farce. I'm seriously thinking of alerting the local media and lodging a formal complaint to DCC about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Bohser

Advertisement