Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Tonight was the Happy Pear vegetable korma. Really delicious and surprisingly fiery.

DSC_1319_zpsl2oo4xr5.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Popped down to the butcher yesterday for 2lbs of turkey mince. He said to me are you not sick of it yet? I replied, have you ever given a bone to the dog hai, and he just looked at you and walked away! Got a roar of a laugh from the shop, and he only charged me for a pound.

Made a easy turkey curry with a generous helping of crushed garlic and minced ginger, coconut milk, chopped tomatoes, rice wine vinegar and soy sauce. The young lad said something along the lines of you'd get up in the middle of the night to eat it. He better not, the 630 starts are bad enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

IKEA meatballs with egg noodles, homemade meatball sauce, roasted brocolli and garlic green beans.....

C22326A4-B93F-4B50-90C6-1F8FACEBF217_zpswaltimke.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Great meat there Gloom!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Chilli con lentils, Jamie Oliver's recipe.
    Seriously, seriously tasty!
    The little that's leftover will probably be stuffed into a baked potato for dinner tonight :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

made kale pesto smoky tofu veg noodles, so good and so easy.

xcF5fdHl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Roasted a chicken yesterday so will be using it all up for the rest of the week.

I made a brilliant pie from a recipe on BBC good food with the turkey leftovers over Christmas and went to recreate it last night with the chicken... it wasn't great. Very very bland and boring and the sauce was watery. Literally just copped (16 hours later it just popped in to my head out of nowhere! ) that I never put the stock in, I just added water! That'll teach me to think I can remember he recipe and don't need it in front of me hahah

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

beertons wrote: »
    Popped down to the butcher yesterday for 2lbs of turkey mince. He said to me are you not sick of it yet? I replied, have you ever given a bone to the dog hai, and he just looked at you and walked away! Got a roar of a laugh from the shop

Sorry for being slow. Can you explain the joke?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Sorry for being slow. Can you explain the joke?

A dog would never say no to a bone, and I could never have my fill of turkey. I love it. The 'hai' bit, is just a term used in the Lough region, I said the sentence in a north east accent, for more impact with the joke.

I'd say it was more you had to be there moments. The wife didn't flinch when I told her either. She'll be getting a smaller portion today for a non reaction.

We had a tray bake dinner tonight. Peppers, onions, mushrooms, spuds, chicken thighs and Superquinn cocktail sausages. I seasoned the lot with s&p and garlic, drizzled with olive oil and baked for 20 minutes. Then I whipped up a glaze of butter, honey, English mustard, wholegrain mustard and curry powder (trust me on this) and poured it over the lot, baking for another 15 minutes.

Absolutely scrumptious.

250lbpu.jpg

• Advertisement

Once again, no pic but I promise I will sort out the pic situation soon and it will be worth it for my own credibility.

Tonight it was fillet steak and chips. No sauce. Just stir fried peppers and onions in chinese five spice and black pepper. Between the juice of the steak and the moistness of the stir fry, it was bloody delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Crispy baked peanut tofu with brown rice, peppers, onions, mushroom and broccoli.

289y71l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Musefan wrote: »
    Crispy baked peanut tofu with brown rice, peppers, onions, mushroom and broccoli.

Oh, any chance of a recipe, please?

I had spicy sweet potato wedges, corn on the cob with butter, and salad with honey mustard dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Shenshen wrote: »
    Oh, any chance of a recipe, please?

I had spicy sweet potato wedges, corn on the cob with butter, and salad with honey mustard dressing.

See http://minimalistbaker.com/crispy-peanut-tofu-cauliflower-rice-stir-fry/

I didn't use the cauliflower rice though!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Looks so good thanks, gonna try it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Roast top rib on the bone with cabbage and boulangere potatoes.

2d6oacy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Roast top rib on the bone with cabbage and boulangere potatoes.

Why, when I try to cook beef, does it never turn out like this? :confused:

It's either far too pink and ready for resurrection, or so brown you could use it for chewing practice.

Meat thermometer hasn't changed anything. Logically, I know ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Griddled salmon, tomatoes, pepper with shredded cabbage.
    I also added Ainsley Harriott branded cous cous but it was a bit... meh. Sorry big lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Mushroom soup and bread for me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Pan fried hake with lemon and garlic butter, mash, red cabbage and sugarsnaps

• Advertisement

arian wrote: »

It's either far too pink and ready for resurrection, or so brown you could use it for chewing practice.

Ask your butcher if he does beef in a bag. If so he will give you the cooking time and temperature. You won't go wrong. Apologies, but its cook beef for dummies.:D Tastes great too.

Alternatively you can pot roast it, but you need to be keeping an eye on it as its low and slow. As with all joints its really a case of measuring the cooking time against the weight.

We had pasta bake tonight, with leftover ham and chicken, plus mushrooms and spinach, in a cheese sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Ask your butcher if he does beef in a bag. If so he will give you the cooking time and temperature. You won't go wrong. Apologies, but its cook beef for dummies.:D Tastes great too.

Alternatively you can pot roast it, but you need to be keeping an eye on it as its low and slow. As with all joints its really a case of measuring the cooking time against the weight.

Thanks.

Always had trouble with roast beef, even when I was getting Dexter from the farmer. I just thought Dizzyblonde's photo looked good.

I'll investigate bags.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

arian wrote: »

The cut of beef is very important. Round roast is dry and tough, unless you cook it in a pot or slow cooker in stock. I find rib the best, and particularly the top rib on the bone (also called carvery roast) that I cooked yesterday. It's expensive - €22.99 for that piece but it was enough for 6 huge portions. Never buy a small roast, there were only two of us for that one and the rest is sliced and in the freezer for two more dinners each. It was the most succulent piece of beef I've ever cooked, the type you usually only get in a hotel or restaurant so well worth the money. FYI - we bought it in Aldi.
    I like beef well done so I cook it long and slow, 170C for almost three hours. I put a rub of Maldon salt, black pepper and garlic granules on this one and it worked really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

You also need to leave the meat rest when it comes out of the oven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I like beef well done so I cook it long and slow

I'm sorry but you're now on ignore :P

RasTa wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you're now on ignore :P

Each to his/her own. The only way to cook beef or steak perfectly is to cook it just how you like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Each to his/her own. The only way to cook beef or steak perfectly is to cook it just how you like it :)

I was kind of of the other opinion when cooking for the likes of my mum and that but kinda gave up. I'd rather her eat a steak she'll enjoy than me having to eat my steak and hers because it's a little undercooked for her taste.. not that I'd mind! :D

cefh17 wrote: »
    I was kind of of the other opinion when cooking for the likes of my mum and that but kinda gave up. I'd rather her eat a steak she'll enjoy than me having to eat my steak and hers because it's a little undercooked for her taste.. not that I'd mind! :D

Sometimes you just can't please everyone, and it's usually the cook who compromises. Luckily Mr. Dizzy likes his beef the same way I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I'll be trying your tip DB. Currently I can only have my meat well done instead of rare-medium like I prefer so I'm open to all ideas of cooking it well :) Thanks so much :)

Advertisement