Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Beef and Guinness stew done in the slow cooker. Preferred cous cous to mash, for soaking up all the juices. (Drink)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Turkey burgers with salad and homemade chunky chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

lemon garlic pasta

...making due quite nicely, even though am running low on food until the weekend

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Spicy sausage & bean casserole with chunks of leftover loin of bacon. Very warming for this weather :)

IMG-5855.jpg

Ribs done on the Joe.

470835.jpg

• Advertisement

Spaghetti puttanesca

20190119-191406-800x542.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Hey Beertons, that's like a scene from a horror movie!:eek:

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Hey Beertons, that's like a scene from a horror movie!:eek:

The kids made it to bed, I've converted them. And the wife beside me. Friend called around with his Swiss girl friend, and they all agreed the Asian ribs were incredible. Many thanks to who ever suggested amazing ribs for recipe suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Still thinking about this pork dish

c6282ee6-9d6b-4a78-acac-ffad34a15ef4.jpg

Tuna tartar

75c903cc-b922-4440-8c86-d154f650280b.jpg

Chicken Enchiladas.

Asked the kids what they wanted for dinner. That's what they wanted, and sure who am I to argue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

RasTa wrote: »
    Still thinking about this pork dish

Tell us more please! Looks like they ran out of plates and served it on table. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Tell us more please! Looks like they ran out of plates and served it on table. ;)

One of the dishes came out on one tile. This they stuck 3 of them together, genius. Only €8.95 for the pork dish too, in Barcelona.

Iberian pork loin tataki with soy, honey and orange reduction.

Some chinese influence going on with some of the tapas. They stood out the most, classics were also on point

The last of the Christmas turkey......

Boned, stuffed and rolled Turkey Leg, Ham slow-cooked in Cola, Cauliflower Cheese, Leeks with Orange, Brocolli, Pickled Cabbage, Brussels with Pancetta, Roasties and Gravy.

9-AB5-C986-3-CD5-4-FF1-9-B40-8-F58695-C6-EF3.jpgshare picture

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dee75

Chicken Enchiladas.

Asked the kids what they wanted for dinner. That's what they wanted, and sure who am I to argue?

Can you share the recipe please? Looks delicious and just what my kids love too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

No pic but made a great Gumbo last night. New filé powder makes it! As does the Slap Ya Mama seasoning. Great winter food.

GUEST_6323945e-f54e-45a7-b329-321e03491d16?wid=488&hei=488&fmt=pjpeg

I am the main cook in this house, however my (vegetarian) wife had this place full of tastiness waiting on me this evening.

IMG-20190122-173348.jpg

Moroccan style lamb shanks in a fruity spicy sauce, and a side of rice and beans.

Even though they don't sound like they'd go together (Carribbean/North African) the made for a great pairing, and I have told her she can cook for me anytime she likes. :D

For those of you looking to entertain Veggie friends, here's something for you that I made- sorry, I'm afraid you can't download it to you table :D I posted this in the Veggie/Vegan forum also as it may get more exposure there. AMA if you're interested in trying to make it.

: Serves 4 decent dinner portions - you'll need to thaw just 1 sheet of puff pastry in advance (they usually come with two sheets but one sheet will be fine for this mix). Serve with Cranberry and Orange sauce heated with a little soy sauce.

1. Peal (where necessary) and Chop into small pieces (bit sized or just a little bigger):

2 small or 1 large sweet potato
    2 peppers (colour of your choice)
    1/4 of a standard sized celeriac
    dress with olive oil, massage into the veg and place on tray lined with parchment paper.

2. roast these in a fan oven- 200deg - for 20-25 mins- until charred - allow to cool a little, then blitz 1/2 the mixture in the food processor with some fresh ginger and chop smaller, the other 1/2 of the mixture.

3. Roast about 200g (in total) nuts- cashews, hazelnuts and walnuts @ 180 deg on a tray for about 12 mins - peal off the burnt skin of the hazelnuts (if you can find blanched hazelnuts all the better, you won't have to do this)

4. Blitz the nuts in a food processor until broken up a lot but not all - i.e. it will be a combination of small chunky pieces and finer "nut flour"

5. Fry up 1 large onion or red onion until starting to caramelise.

6. Add a tablespoon of hot/smoked paprika and a pinch of chilli pepper if you like and also, some dried herbs - add sea salt and pepper to your taste -stir and mix in with onion

7. add all the other ingredients as well as 1 grated carrot and a 1/4er piece of grated celeriac (both raw) and mix very well - it will be moist but not wet when you're finished with it

8. Cut your puff pastry sheet about 55:45 proportion (the bottom sheet is where you'll place the mixture.) Ensure you keep the edges clear so you can fold them up.

Once you've shaped the mixture on your puff pastry sheet (like a log or wellington) brush the sides and corners with egg yolk- place other pastry sheet on top of the "log" and fold in the edges all around until sealed.

Make a nice design with a blunt knife on the pastry on top if you like- brush pastry with egg yolk- place in pre-heated oven @ 200 deg for first 20 mins and then reduce to 180 for rest of cooking (between 30-35 mins) until golden

Allow to cool for 10 mins before cutting - serve with the Cranberry and Orange sauce.

Enjoy :)

GLzQWDU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,006 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's haggis time of year again!

Love this dinner. Haggis (M&S), mashed swede turnip, mashed potatoes and peas. All with lots of white pepper and butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I never had Haggis. I assume it’s something similar to a white pudding?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,006 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I never had Haggis. I assume it’s something similar to a white pudding?

Kind of.
    It's loose and grainy. Sooonable rather than sliceable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

On Saturday, we had caulflower "Schnitzel", in breadcrumbs mixed with Pecorino cheese :

wD6AKNG.jpg

With some mash and broccoli

3Cyto7D.jpg

Yesterday, I made garlic and rosemary roasted butternut squash with pasta and a sage and white wine cream sauce. Sounds a bit odd, but the sage in that sauce really, really works.

53TwcGm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I can't believe that I've just Thanked two veggy posts, but Plenty's pie & Shenshen's schnitzel look amazing! Ye might convert me yet. ;)

Chicken Enchiladas

DE36670-B-BE7-E-4-E6-F-A591-8-FE941305-A6-F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Been too long away from my laptop - missed this forum!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Welcome back :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 524 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Made a McRib for dinner. Homemade roll, pickles and bbq sauce.

Really enjoyed this one.

IMG-20190130-173341.jpg

Meatloaf with mash, gravy and carrots and corn.

Delicious, even if I say so myself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Did you make your own Meatloaf or buy it in? I used to buy it from the Butchers Block in Portlaoise, but its gone bland as feck the last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

Last Sunday I made jackfruit pulled pork burgers with chips.

I bought a packet of mini brioche bun burgers by Bundy's in Tesco.

The 'pulled pork' was jackfruit and smoky BBQ sauce.

Gherkins were Mrs. Elswood's Sweet Cucumber Sandwich Slices.

The slaw was red onion, red cabbage and carrot strips with just some lemon juice.

They were not bad at all.

In Dunnes they had 'pink fir apple' potatoes. I had never had them before and grabbed them. When I got home I noticed they were actually waxy potatoes and I was a bit disappointed because I wanted to make chips out of them!

So, I boiled them and let them cool down fully in the fridge. I didn't know how they would turn out, but I then cut them lengthways into quarters and coated them in some Tempura batter that I got in Lidl some time back and then deep-fried them. They turned out fantastic! Really crispy outside.

• Advertisement

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Did you make your own Meatloaf or buy it in? I used to buy it from the Butchers Block in Portlaoise, but its gone bland as feck the last year.

Bought from the local butcher, he has his own "award winning meatloaf" 50 min in the oven @180 and it's good to go.

Advertisement