Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

471970.jpg

Farshirovanye pertsy - beef, rice, onion and carrot stuffed bell peppers

• Registered Users Posts: 7 EmirateEmily

johnmcdnl wrote: »

Great, now I wanna eat that and I don't even like bell peppers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Suckler

johnmcdnl wrote: »

Could you share recipe? Looks great but when I googled it the only ones I could find were in Russian(?)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Shenshen wrote: »
    Got my new air fryer delivered yesterday, so I had to try it out.
    Air fried falafel are THE business. They were so much nicer than I had ever been able to get them in a frying pan. Gone to quickly for photos, I'm afraid, so you'll have to just take my word for it until I do the next batch :D

Could, I ask which on-air fryer you got? The wife has been dropping hints that she is on the look out for one recently....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Slow cooker chilli con carne, with a mince/brisket combination. Lots of mixed beans, and a couple of squares of decent quality dark chocolate.

Served over baked spuds.

Was a goodun.

IMG-20190204-175952.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Suckler wrote: »
    Could you share recipe? Looks great but when I googled it the only ones I could find were in Russian(?)

Перцы фаршированные - Pertsy farshirovannyye - Stuffed Peppers

This is a recipe my OH grew up with in Russia, learning from her mother, and from her babushka before her.
    It's one of those recipes that would be brought out especially when guests would be coming, because you can make quite a lot if you have a big enough saucepan. We don't - so instead of making batches of 20+, we're limited to 4-5 at a time.
    It's not particularly difficult to make, and is easy to tweak to your own personal tastes or using whatever is in season.

There should be a roughly 70-30 ratio of rice to meat in the recipe.

1) Boil some rice

2) Meanwhile
    - Soften 1 finely diced onion in a frying pan, with some fresh garlic
    - Add mince and brown
    - Add a can of chopped tomatoes
    - Add grated carrots for a 1-2 minutes
    - Add some fresh herbs according to your taste, we used basil
    - Season with salt and pepper to taste
    Cook until the sauce thickens, and at this stage add the boiled rice and mix

3)
    - Cut open the lid of some bell peppers and remove the cores
    - Add the mixture from earlier and fill the the brim
    - If you have some tooth picks, you can use them to close the lid again for cooking

4)
    - Put the peppers into a large saucepan
    - Fill the suacepan with beef stock so that the peppers are almost submerged (if your using tooth picks you can submerge the peppers)
    - if you have a large enough saucepan, you can stack the peppers multiple layers high to make large batches
    - Bring to a boil, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the peppers soften
    - Remove and allow to cool slightly, before serving

5) Serve with some fresh salad and any leftover rice + meat mixture to the side

TLDR

-Boil Rice
    -Make something like a lasagna sauce
    -Mix and add to Bell Peppers
    -Simmer for 15-20 Minutes in some beef stock

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Beef medallions in the fridge. I wanted a stir-fry, the missus said nay. So I did spuds, carrots, pea's and gravy for them. And fried their medallion well done.

For me, thinly sliced other piece, with chopped mushrooms, red onion and red pepper. Added chilli flakes and garlic granuals. All out of soy sauce, didn't realize till I opened the cupboard. And threw in a pack of noodles.

Guess which dish everyone wanted a nibble of!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Kuala Lumpur style king prawn laksa with sambal. Fingers were burning from the amount of chilis I had to de-seed. Worth it though. Although the tamarind paste I have was too strong.

Similar to this
    http://www.natgeotraveller.co.uk/recipes/mandy-yins-king-prawn-laksa-recipe/

472269.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Aldi have Nutritional Yeast on special so decided to make a Vegan Paella today. It meant making a chorizo seitan sausage yesterday. Not sure i’d make it again. :rolleyes:

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/vegan_paella_77989

CD709-AE9-C6-C0-43-F7-8-DC4-2-E67260231-FA.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Pasta with peas, tomato and garlic.

20190205-234111.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Broccoli and feta quiche

EBW9EmW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Had a big pot of pinto bean simmering all day yesterday. First time cooking them and they turned out very well.

Had them on some mini burritos wraps and tortilla chips. Corn wraps are new in aldi and quite good.

472357.jpg

Had some left over black bean stew, so I turned that into black bean burgers, with chips from the air fryer.

8kBXjdS.jpg

gozunda wrote: »
    Could, I ask which on-air fryer you got? The wife has been dropping hints that she is on the look out for one recently....

Sorry, I only saw this now - I got it from Amazon, it's a Swan SD90010N 3.2L.
    I'm very happy with it, but I would say that if you're cooking for more than 2 people, you may look at one with bigger capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Lentil burritos. Very tasty, and plenty left over for today. Needed some proper cream cheese though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Some fab meals here lately. I should post more. This week I'm home alone and cooking for me and only me.:D I have a great local butcher and a plentiful supply of fresh veg from local shops. So far this homealoner has treated himself to the following dinners.

Monday - A pork chop (really thick) filled with stuffing and apple sauce. Oven baked. Mash and carrots on the side.

Tuesday - Chicken fillet stuffed with cherry tomatoes, green pesto and coated in mozzarella. (oven) Served that up with wedges and salad.

Wednesday - Fillet steak with mash, peas, onion rings and pepper sauce.

Monday and Tuesday were supplied by my butcher already prepped. I just had to cook and do the sides.

Having sirloin steak tonight and I reckon it will be served with baby boiled potatoes, onions and mushrooms.

I bought my first Air fryer a few days ago and haven't used it yet. I'll be heading into that thread for advice very soon.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

IMG-3767.jpg

Vegan lasagne. Is it just me or are the Lidl lasagne sheets revolting? They don't seem to cook properly at all and feel really gummy. Other than that the lasagne was yummy.

Stuffed roast pork loin with gravey mashed spuds veg and gravy. Gorgeous. ..

Followed by a caramel cheese cake

No photo sorry - it was eaten before I had a chance :pac:

(Pork came from a friend who runs free range pigs - best pork ever imo)

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Some fab meals here lately. I should post more. This week I'm home alone and cooking for me and only me.:D I have a great local butcher and a plentiful supply of fresh veg from local shops. So far this homealoner has treated himself to the following dinners.

Monday - A pork chop (really thick) filled with stuffing and apple sauce. Oven baked. Mash and carrots on the side.

Tuesday - Chicken fillet stuffed with cherry tomatoes, green pesto and coated in mozzarella. (oven) Served that up with wedges and salad.

Wednesday - Fillet steak with mash, peas, onion rings and pepper sauce.

Monday and Tuesday were supplied by my butcher already prepped. I just had to cook and do the sides.

Having sirloin steak tonight and I reckon it will be served with baby boiled potatoes, onions and mushrooms.

I bought my first Air fryer a few days ago and haven't used it yet. I'll be heading into that thread for advice very soon.:D

You are making me hungry again- just reading that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Broccoli and feta quiche

Also made one of these yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

A feast!

Slow cooker pulled pork (thanks cooking club!) with the worlds best bbq sauce from bison bbq & bar on the Liffey quays. Side salad for greenery and to assuage any guilt.... Coleslaw, potato salad and air fried homemade chips.

Was going to freeze some of the pork when I saw how big the piece was from the butcher... there’s no hope of that now and I’m only sad that there’s no enough left for a week of lunches.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Space Dog

We had mock duck stir fry. First time I tried seitan, it was actually not bad at all. Marinated it in a bit of hoisin and coated in a corn starch/shichimi mix before baking it in the air fryer, came out nice and crispy. had it with veggie rice and a miso dressing.

Duck Breast with orange sauce, kale and airfried Potatoes

Duck is on offer in aldi. Would have liked a bit more kale but the guinea pigs got there first!

472894.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Ryath wrote: »
    Duck Breast with orange sauce, kale and airfried Potatoes

Duck is on offer in aldi. Would have liked a bit more kale but the guinea pigs got there first!

Never tried cooking duck before. Is it pan-fried?

Don't have orange sauce, but have enough Asian condiments and honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

igCorcaigh wrote: »

The above looks pan fried to me. If you're trying to reproduce something like it I found Gordan Ramsey's notes on how to pan fry duck breast straightforward and hasn't steered me wrong :)

The big thing is not to take them off when they're still lovely and rare and let them rest. Then you can drizzle your lovely choice of sauce over the top after slicing.

https://www.redonline.co.uk/food/recipes/a502262/gordon-ramsay-pan-fried-duck-breast/

igCorcaigh wrote: »

You can just pan fry I've often done them this way. Lot of fat comes of them though so you'll probably need to pour off some (I've a full cup to roast potatoes tomorrow!). I followed the instructions on pack this time, put it fat side down on a cold pan onto medium heat and let fry for for few minutes when up to temperature then fried other side for a few more. Into oven for 10min for beautifully pink duck! 15 if you prefer medium. Let rest for five minutes before slicing.

The orange sauce was just to try out something different would be just as tasty with out it. Made it with juice of one orange, table spoon of marmalade and simmered for 5mins or so to reduce. Added a half a teaspoon of corn flour to thicken it a bit.

Egg fried rice, spicy sticky cauliflower and spring rolls

smo8p78.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Egg fried rice, spicy sticky cauliflower and spring rolls

That looks insanely tasty!

B0jangles wrote: »
    That looks insanely tasty!

It was very good :D
    And really easy to make, I (roughly) used this recipe, but with half of the quantities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

It was very good :D
    And really easy to make, I (roughly) used this recipe, but with half of the quantities.

I have a cauliflower & most of the ingredients (will swap fake milk for real milk) so guess that's my dinner this evening! I'm pretty sure the last time I made it, it was because you (or someone else on this thread!) had posted the recipe here as well :D

Advertisement