Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

This does not look good.
    But, it is pasta with salmon tomato sauce, roast aubergine.

IMG-20190227-200450.jpg

Tasty! With cheddar.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm under the weather at the moment so Mr. Dizzy is in charge of the kitchen. Tonight he cooked barbecued marinated chicken fillets with potato cubes and stir fried veg. It was delicious :)

<Please don't quote pics>

I'd be feeling under the weather a bit more often if I were you. Mr DB ain't doing half bad on the cooking front. ;)

Get well soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    This does not look good.
    But, it is pasta with salmon tomato sauce, roast aubergine.

<Please don't quote pics>

Tasty! With cheddar.

Food stylists on Instagram & Pinterest can go to hell. I'm like you - dishing up plates of tasty grub cooked with love! Woo-hoo! (Am a bit drunk - doesn't happen very often these days - excuse me. :o)

It is good, wholesome food made by your fair hands, it doesn't need to be an oil painting. :)

(I'd murder a bacon sandwich right now. Hic!)

Food stylists on Instagram & Pinterest can go to hell. I'm like you - dishing up plates of tasty grub cooked with love! Woo-hoo! (Am a bit drunk - doesn't happen very often these days - excuse me. :o)

It is good, wholesome food made by your fair hands, it doesn't need to be an oil painting. :)

(I'd murder a bacon sandwich right now. Hic!)

Ha! I was drunk when I made it. That I got it into the bowl was no small feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

So made from scratch we had - Lamb Saag with pilau rice, an onion salad, (red onion thinly sliced with coriander, Birdseye chilli and lime juice with salt) homemade chappatis, and some raita on the side for a bit of cooling.

Man it was so so tasty. :)

IMG-20190303-172856.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cooking something like this but with carrots (quite common in othe recipes) and with individual spices + fenugreek leaves instead of the curry powder

http://tastyrecipes.sapeople.com/minced-beef-curry/

Basically a traditional Irish winter dish, but curry. Mince, schpuds, carrots and onions - the rest is just window dressing sure :pac:

Duck with roasties and green beans

20190303-165436-800x450.jpg

Dónal wrote: »
    Duck with roasties and green beans

[]

God there’s nothing like it is there? Did you do a sauce at all? Like something like a deep rich black current sauce with beef stock or similar? Or simply blackcurrent jam reduced down with some soy sauce added? I can’t have duck without a nice rich sweet/savoury sauce.

Ps - just saw ure sig- bet homey featured in ure sauce :P

God there’s nothing like it is there? Did you do a sauce at all? Like something like a deep rich black current sauce with beef stock or similar? Or simply blackcurrent jam reduced down with some soy sauce added? I can’t have duck without a nice rich sweet/savoury sauce.

Ps - just saw ure sig- bet homey featured in ure sauce :P

No sauce this time - didn't feel it was needed either. Had added butter, allspice and thyme to the top of the duck when cooking so it wasn't short of moisture.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Tasting menu for my veganniversary from veginity.

qVTaPTLl.jpg

Starting off strong, loved the pan rolls!

t4SCprOl.jpg

On to the first of the mains. Delicious, okra and pumpkin curry! This dish worked really well, a good bite to the pumpkin, a mild sauce with the tempura okra, really complementary.

f3zrcUtl.jpg

This was easily the best of the savoury food! Hot and sour "vish" and tofu curry, wambatu moju (what?), kale mallung (you're making things up by this point guys), sour lime pickle (really jarring at first, loved it by the end), tomato turmeric coconut dahl, raisin and cashew rice.

Damn it was so good. Get this! It may sound like the menu is having a stroke but it's the best!

KKZbWLV.gif

Look, how is this fair? How can I be expected to go back to normal desserts after having a massive TILE of amazing desserts? Still, we want plates! This was the highlight of the night. Everybody in the place was just staring at it when it came out.

The photo doesn't do it justice so here's a weird gif, massive, amazing, and got to be the best dessert I've ever had. I mean look at that thing.

Places so often fail at desserts for me, they make it too healthy or raw or some crap, make it decadent like this monster please. #saynotofruitsalad

Warm date bibbikan pudding with semolina and raisins, salted coconut caramel and ginger icecream.
    Wattalappan cashew palm sugar biscuits, Earl Grey ice cream.
    Sri Lankan love cake with pineapple and coconut salsa, rose water-pineapple sorbet. I loved that cake the most, so good. Also that mystery pudding thing in the corner with a biscuit in it.
    Pairing each bit with a different sorbet/icecream. There was some sugar sauce on one of those ice creams that was next level, I think it was coconut sugar.
    Cost €40 each which was really decent I thought.

• Advertisement

Wow! Where was this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Veginity on Dorset street. It was Sri Lankan week. Menu changes each week and next up is Ethiopian week. Love the place!

Veginity on Dorset street. It was Sri Lankan week. Menu changes each week and next up is Ethiopian week. Love the place!

Damn, I'd love an Ethiopian restaurant here. Have you tried those teff based fermented breads?

Yep injera, I've had them in other countries, awesome stuff. Ethiopian food is delicious! Might have to go back to try it out as it's the only place I know that does Ethiopian menus now and again, it's their most requested week to bring back.

Chilli made with mince and shin of beef served with baked potatoes.

Brisket is good, but I think the shin has just knocked it out of the park for me, this was possibly the nicest chilli I've ever made.

Slow cooked from 8am to 5.30pm, the beef was melt in the mouth, this will be made again, guaranteed.

IMG-20190304-174650.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

That looks feckin fab Johnny. I make a great chilli from steak mince on a very slow hob simmer. Never lets me down. But I've always been promising myself to add some meaty goodness to it sometime. You have convinced me.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    That looks feckin fab Johnny. I make a great chilli from steak mince on a very slow hob simmer. Never lets me down. But I've always been promising myself to add some meaty goodness to it sometime. You have convinced me.

I mostly do mine with a combination of good quality mince and chunks of beef of some type (be it stewing beef, steak pieces etc) but recently I did a chilli with just brisket, that I placed in the slow cooker whole (didn't dice it) and it turned out fantastic.

The beef shin was even better though.

I brown them in the pan for a bit beforehand, then place in the slow cooker whole. The slow cooker breaks them up for me during cooking.

Try it G. You won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I mostly do mine with a combination of good quality mince and chunks of beef of some type (be it stewing beef, steak pieces etc) but recently I did a chilli with just brisket, that I placed in the slow cooker whole (didn't dice it) and it turned out fantastic.

The beef shin was even better though.

I brown them in the pan for a bit beforehand, then place in the slow cooker whole. The slow cooker breaks them up for me during cooking.

Try it G. You won't regret it.

Lovely! Defo gonna try it with a mix of steak mince and stewing beef for a start to suit the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hmmmm gravy

c1255f39-f5d1-4af4-98b8-76534935b7e4.jpg

When I read your post first I thought you made it- would have convinced me :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Was actually last night! Tandoori chicken pieces, butter curry sauce with pilau rice and basmati. Still loving my airfryer how easy it is now to actually do nice chared pieces that are still moist inside.

474718.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Went to my favourite Indian restaurant on Sunday night and had the amazing Chicken Biryani

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Made ribs last night and had lots left over so I reheated them and stripped them from the bone and chopped up the meat and made burrito type things.

Made a quick salsa by charring some sweetcorn in a pan and adding it to tomatoes, chilli, red onion, avocado, coriander and lime juice. Served it all with grated cheese and sour cream. Absolutely amazing.

474734.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Well, they don't look like much, but they were extremely tasty:

Cheela (pancakes made with just besan flour, water and seasoning) filled with a mixture of mashed sweet potatoes, caramelised onion, yellow bell pepper, chickpeas, chopped mint and coriander. Spiced with Garam Masala and Coriander powder, with just a touch of chili.

n7e4ltN.jpg

Made the pancakes, rolled the filling into them and then put them into the oven for a bit of extra crispiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Ooooh man. They would be amazing drunk food!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Ooooh man. They would be amazing drunk food!

Only is someone else made them - I can't see myself neatly rolling pancakes while langers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Shenshen wrote: »
    Only is someone else made them - I can't see myself neatly rolling pancakes while langers! :D

Make a lasagna of them :D:D:D

Making a chili, didn't realise I actually had fresh chilis in the fridge so its flakes + tabasco sauce.

Diced beef browned off, red onions, tomatoes, one red pepper, usual spices + seasonings, marmite and worcestershire sauce to give an umami boost and some extremely dark chocolate.

Finish with oth kidney beans and Lidl's mixed beans plus 'fresh' (frozen leaf) coriander, which is probably going to get me even more banned from chili clubs than using flakes :pac:

Roast chicken with squash and brown rice, mint yoghurt.

IMG-20190306-213339.jpg

• Advertisement

Trying to clear out the freezer of stuff that's been there for ages, found an unopened bag of IKEA's veggie balls which I used to do with a red wine vinager / tomato sauce but went off so ignored them

https://ministryofcurry.com/malai-kofta-instant-pot/ re-adapted back to normal cooking methods is now on. Smells good anyway.

Advertisement