Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Last night I made a teriyaki / sweet & sour type dish which involved boiling down a can of Diet Coke to make the sauce. Turned out quite tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭trashcan

Anyone ever done Schweinhaxe ? Have had it in Austria and thought it was delicious. Bought a couple of pork hocks today and am going to try it on Sunday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It had to be barbecue in this weather! Ribeyes, tomatoes and onions cooked on the BBQ, potato cubes in the Airfryer and broccoli steamed in the microwave - easy and very little washing up :)

IMG-6180.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

trashcan wrote: »
    Anyone ever done Schweinhaxe ? Have had it in Austria and thought it was delicious. Bought a couple of pork hocks today and am going to try it on Sunday.

I have eaten lots (& I mean LOTS) of them. But only ever cooked them once. Not having a rotisserie grill, I wanted to be sure that they didn't dry out with the long cooking time needed, so I braised a pair of haxen in beer & chicken stock. I cooked them on 140C for 4 hours, turned them every hour or so. Gave them a blast at 220C to crisp them up & give a bit of colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The Billy BBQ had its first fair-weather run of the season...
    Friday was burgers, ribs & wings with wedges done in the oven.
    Saturday was sirloins with McCain's skinny oven fries.
    Sunday was rosemary, thyme, lemon & garlic crusted leg of lamb, roast spuds & peas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭trashcan

I have eaten lots (& I mean LOTS) of them. But only ever cooked them once. Not having a rotisserie grill, I wanted to be sure that they didn't dry out with the long cooking time needed, so I braised a pair of haxen in beer & chicken stock. I cooked them on 140C for 4 hours, turned them every hour or so. Gave them a blast at 220C to crisp them up & give a bit of colour.

Did this basically. Rubbed with pork seasoning and left them overnight. Used gravy granules with the beer instead of chicken stock. Cooked on 140 for about four hours (just turned the heat up for about the last fifteen minutes) and they were yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I had this idea of making a potato and sweet potato gratin, but instead of cream using a mix of peanut butter, tahini and veg stock.

I made that mixture a bit thick, so the whole thing looked a complete dog's dinner when it was on the plate, but it tasted really nice.
    Once I make one that's presentable as well as tasty, I'll share a picture :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Whenever I make a Chicken Tikka Masala there’s always loads of sauce that goes to waste so the last time I made it I just froze it.

I used it tonight with some frozen tiger prawns. Absolutely gorgeous and very easy to pull together because all the hard work was already done.

478708.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That looks divine Bazmo!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Roast chicken with dauphinois potatoes and greens.

IMG-6183.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Tried to copy Aldi’s Buttermilk Chicken Thigh Burgers by making it myself but they turned out a bit greasy. Will try the shop ones next week and see how they compare. Served with Dill Sauce, Roasted Potato Chunks and Coleslaw.

04-BE8363-A747-41-EF-A27-B-A539-B9234656.jpg

Made a vegetarian pasta dish last night that turned out really well. I used chestnut mushrooms, asparagus & courgette, mixed with konjac fettucine in a creamy mustard sauce. Total 142 cals for bonus points.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Went to a local butchers I mostly abandoned after they moved to the tray-sale format a while ago - all still butchered on site/in view but just dislike it; however they do good premade meatballs for when I can't be bothered cooking...

Had trays of beef shins, which I've never seen sold in that type of butcher before, so currently have this slowly bubbling away

https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/meat-and-poultry/tuscan-slow-cooked-shin-of-beef-with-chianti/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Peri peri chicken, creamy mashed potatoes, corn and chicken gravy.

IMG-20190428-182055.jpg

Aldi have steaks on special this week - two for €3 - not sure what type. Marinated them over night in olive oil and salt and pepper then on to the BBQ this evening. Absolutely delicious, melt in the mouth.

Served with Broccoli Mash Potatoes, Green Beans, Sweetcorn and Onion Gravy.

38-D5274-D-E7-ED-462-C-959-C-5328509-A2-EC0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Bought the same steaks today, with pepper sauce sachets. They look great in your snap GT. I'll fry em up early in the week with mash and peas.:D

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Bought the same steaks today, with pepper sauce sachets. They look great in your snap GT. I'll fry em up early in the week with mash and peas.:D

Take them out of their packets, let them breathe and relax in the fridge.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Lamb Madras, done in the slow cooker. Fab.

Take them out of their packets, let them breathe and relax in the fridge.

Why marinade in salt overnight? That would extract the juices and make for a drier steak, Shirley?

Why marinade in salt overnight? That would extract the juices and make for a drier steak, Shirley?

No idea. Olive oil may counteract any drying affect.

• Advertisement

Last night's dinner was lean beef burgers in a soft white bun, with a rocket, spinach and tomato salad. Simple but tasty

Chow mein tonight, all made from scratch (I do one weekly at least)

Chicken for us carnivores.

IMG-20190430-181922.jpg

And tofu for the vegetarian in the house.
    IMG-20190430-181928.jpg

Extremely easy to make, healthy, and can be made from scratch on no time.

And yes, that's steam rising from the wok in the pictures. (In case you're wondering)

Anyone wants the method/ingredients let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hey Johnny Dogs, that looks great, I don’t normally cook Chinese food and haven’t eaten much of it in my life but I do like chow mein - could you give the recipe? It looks very tasty

leahyl wrote: »
    Hey Johnny Dogs, that looks great, I don’t normally cook Chinese food and haven’t eaten much of it in my life but I do like chow mein - could you give the recipe? It looks very tasty

No worries.

This can be adjusted according to taste (extra chillis etc) but this is the gist of it, the most time consuming part is preparing the base/veg.

Base
    (Finely chop/mince all of the following and mix well together)
    1 X chilli (add more or less according to your taste) seeds in or out depending if you want heat.
    3 cloves of garlic, finely diced
    About half a thumb sized piece of ginger, finely diced
    A few scallions, finely chopped
    A handful of corriander, rip off stems and finely chop (keep the rest)

Chicken, or whatever meat you prefer

A few florets of broccoli
    A few peppers finely sliced.

A couple of tbs of dark soy sauce

Some Chinese five spice
    Some Thai seven spice
    A large spoonful of honey.
    Juice from a ripe lime

Nest of egg noodles per 2 people.

Boil a kettle, cover a nest of noodles with boiling water, add in your broccoli florets, and cover in a saucepan.

Get your pan/wok really, really hot, while it's heating up, finely slice the chicken. When the pan is easy, add a bit of oil, and throw in your chicken, and fry until cooked.

Throw in your base ingredients and ensure the meat is well coated, then add a spoon of soy.

Add in your peppers, and cook until slightly soft.

Remove florets of broccoli from pot, and stirfry well together, add in some Chinese five spice according to taste.

Drain noodles, and add to wok.

Add more soy sauce if you feel it needs it.

When everything looks ready, add the lime juice, stir well, then add honey, stir well again, and add some Thai seven spice.

Add rest of corriander if you like.

Whole thing can be cooked in under twenty mins, and it's nicer than your local takeaway. Healthier too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Late dinner: pasta with canned mackerel, roast red peppers, rocket, garlic and chilli paste.

IMG-20190430-231405.jpg

Free-range chicken thighs, de-boned but skin on, marinated in chipotle and honey then oven roasted. Served with sweet potato fries and a big green salad of rocket, spring onion & tomato.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Aldi Steak with chips and a Szechuan sauce. So good!

Baked potatoes, spicy barbecued beans with my local butchers specially made sausages (pork and leak, they're good) slow roasted with onions and some of Aldis sirracha slaw for good measure.

IMG-20190501-175751.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Inspired by Johnny Dogs’ stir fry I decided to pick up some extra veg and a jar of Toban Djan (Chilli Bean Sauce) and made a stir fry with chicken and noodles. The sauce was lovely but it was super hot.

479220.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Cheesy beans (essentially re-fried style kidney beans bakes with herbs, spices and cheese), quesadilla filled with stir-fried vegetables and topped with sour cream and sriracha, and some nachos

Y0e0NCx.jpg

Advertisement