Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I made some mini vegetable lasagnes. We ate some for lunch and they are the perfect size for my toddler. Great for the freezer too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

otnomart wrote: »
    This evening I made chicken hearts with leeks.
    Usually I make them with onions. I found that the leeks have a more delicate taste.
    It was yummy !

Another oddball meal. :)

I’ve definitely seen hearts in FXB’s in Moore Street so I too would be interested in the recipe please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Really easy:
    Stir fry the hearts and the onions (or leeks) in your favourite oil or butter and with your favourite herbs (I do like sage with them).
    Add about a large glass of water so it does not stick to the pan, bring it to simmer and then lower the heat and put the lid on.
    Cook until the hearts are tender.

Enjoy !
    (note: I do not add salt while cooking; prefer to add it after, if I feel the need)

Why an "oddball meal" ?

Why an "oddball meal" ?

You’re the first poster to mention lamb ribs. Now you have chicken hearts and I think there was something else a few days ago. This is a predominately Irish site. If you’re not like everyone else, you’re an oddball. Sorry! ;)

Where you living?

I live in Continental Europe.
    Like many (or all !) I do like beef.
    But also to eat different meats, and cuts.

Used to live in Dublin and I remember it was possible to find all kinds and cuts of meat there.
    Except for horse (I see there is another thread open about that !).
    Used to get turkey mince in the supermarket all the time, for example.
    And even found rabbit, and ostrich. Venison in supermarkets, too.

Am sure you can find pretty much everything, just have to ask around in different butchers.
    Let us know how you get on with the chicken hearts recipe.

• Advertisement

Sausage and bean cassoulet tonight.

Thanks for inspiration !
    Bought sausages this evening and they are now in the pot with borlotti beans, onions and sundried tomatoes.

Thanks for inspiration !
    Bought sausages this evening and they are now in the pot with borlotti beans, onions and sundried tomatoes.

Me too! Thanks Dizzy :)

AFB15-CAC-333-D-4879-BA29-D2-E9-EF6-FB585.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Love cassoulet, never tried making it.

Did you do the whole breadcrumb topping, pushing it down a bit, baking again, etc?

I don't because I never heard of that - but I'll give it a go, it sounds amazing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

I saw rabbit in FXB Moore St last week, Buying one tomorrow. Lets see.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

What's in Buckleys is a bit bland compared to wild rabbit but it's not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,006 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Really easy:
    Stir fry the hearts and the onions (or leeks) in your favourite oil or butter and with your favourite herbs (I do like sage with them).
    Add about a large glass of water so it does not stick to the pan, bring it to simmer and then lower the heat and put the lid on.
    Cook until the hearts are tender.

Enjoy !
    (note: I do not add salt while cooking; prefer to add it after, if I feel the need)

Why an "oddball meal" ?

Are the hearts left whole?

Are the hearts left whole?

Yes !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Alun wrote: »
    Not really dinner but found these lovelies while out walking in Devil's Glen this afternoon ...

20191006160019-IMG-0611.jpg

They're Amethyst Deceivers in case you were wondering, and were delicious fried up in a bit of butter on some crusty bread when I got back :)

UPDATE: I'm still alive :D

Those mushrooms are spectacular looking, have never seen anything like it. They would look beautiful on any plate, and what an incredible name. I'm amazed I haven't hear of them before.

This evening: one pot with bacon and spinach

• Registered Users Posts: 68,821 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tonight's dinner was an attempt to mix the comfort of a food service lasagne with actually doing it right. So there's a thick grated cheddar and mozzarella top but the meat sauce is based on some of the recipes in this weeks lasagne threads.

Going to do a Spanish spicy meatballs for the freezer after dinner. Meatballs are in roasting now to get some proper browning

Black pudding and kimchi appetiser.
    Buffalo tail noodle soup (buckwheat soba or rice vermicelli), sweet heart cabbage, bean sprouts, pickled chillies, lime wedges, coriander leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,821 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The last plant standing in the garden was bok choy, so doing a sort-of bulgogi type beef with bok choy tonight. Short marinade in soy, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and sugar to try deal with the only beef I could get being hyper lean/tasteless

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Lamb, mash, carrots, broccoli, sweetcorn, gravy. Fig and mascarpone tart.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I'm just about to have sirloin steak, peas, mashed carrot/parsnip, chips and pepper sauce. A meal for me and me only.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭trashcan

Leftover pie tonight. Some roast chicken and veg from yesterday (cabbage, carrot and peas) with some Japanese curry sauce and a topping of mashed potato and cheese. Very nice it was too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Pasta bake with mushrooms, broccoli and peas. Something really warming and comforting on a cold, wet evening.

HsgnuPg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Crispy chili beef with egg fried rice, not from a take away, made from scratch with my own fair hands, the paper thin slivers of steak are dusted in corn flour and five spice and deep fried, the trick is to only add it to the spicy sweet and sour sauce at the very last minute to keep it crispy and chewy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Shenshen wrote: »
    Pasta bake with mushrooms, broccoli and peas. Something really warming and comforting on a cold, wet evening.

HsgnuPg.jpg

I think I might love you :eek:

This evening: one pot with lamb and peas

Tuesday treat. Slow Cooker Honey Lime Ginger Pork Belly with Veg Egg Fried Rice

F55-FDA39-844-B-490-B-91-E4-0-E022-D19-D578.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Chicken, leek and feta pie in filo pastry. Recipe came from an old Middle Eastern food magazine. Lots of lovely spices like tumeric, cumin, cinnamon. Twas very tasty

jos28 wrote: »
    Chicken, leek and feta pie in filo pastry. Recipe came from an old Middle Eastern food magazine. Lots of lovely spices like tumeric, cumin, cinnamon. Twas very tasty
    Sounds yum ! Love leeks and like them with many meats.
    Enjoy the week-end, Home Chefs !

Hairy Bikers’ Navajo Lamb Stew with Dumplings

914-B52-CD-7868-4-D32-945-D-4-B1-AA9764244.jpgforensic anthropology pay

Today is another day. :)

Tapas night tonight. Andalusian Chicken, Ragu, Pan-fried Hake, Cous Cous, Tomato and Mozella Salad and Mackeral Pate.

18-A77922-6-A58-4-A13-A81-E-097-A69460-F8-D.jpg

• Advertisement

Hairy Bikers’ Navajo Lamb Stew with Dumplings

[/url]

Dumplings in a stew are so good but not popular with Irish people, generally.
    It was my English(ish) wife got me into suet pies and dumplings.
    I think it's the unbrowned, steamed look that puts people off.

Advertisement