Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Grandeeod wrote: »
    A very good method for cooking beef. Popular with Saturday night chefs in the pub food trade getting ready for the Sunday lunch. Did it work for you?

It was very much a gamble on my part: I'd never have tried it for the first time if I was expecting guests or whatever. The outside was very, very dark. When we sliced it there was perhaps a 5mm rim of white/gray cooked beef and the rest was a lovely pink throughout. The meat was never going to be as tender as rib or sirloin but it wasn't dry or chewy and it had a great flavour. I'd be happy to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Dubl07 wrote: »
    It was very much a gamble on my part: I'd never have tried it for the first time if I was expecting guests or whatever. The outside was very, very dark. When we sliced it there was perhaps a 5mm rim of white/gray cooked beef and the rest was a lovely pink throughout. The meat was never going to be as tender as rib or sirloin but it wasn't dry or chewy and it had a great flavour. I'd be happy to do it again.

Sounds good. One tip I can offer that I learned over the years. If you want to eat it warm, place the cold/cool slices in hot water for 5 to 10 minutes and then serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Roast pork, yummmmm

2CB49F18-033B-48B6-8443-20B9C02473BD_zpsgycr7bsq.jpg

And introduced a new dish - parsnips roasted with bacon and cheese, very good.

8C07F8DC-51ED-4257-9E0D-B4199B4B2C3F_zpsa1b6srng.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Wild mushroom risotto. And yes, they were actually wild mushrooms, my mom has sent me a stock of dried mushrooms form home.
    The taste was just amazing :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sova Vegan Butcher on Pleasant st, Dublin (so alternatives are used).

King scallops and black pudding, pickled romanesco with caviar.
    9ly4qJQl.jpg

Turky roulade with roast/mash potato, roast sprouts, gravy and crispy... stuff, haha.

tlEcBbll.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Whispered wrote: »
    How did you do the sweet potato and butter bean balls? That looks gorgeous.

For one person: One medium roasted sweet potato (cold), half can of butter beans, .25 cup rolled oats, sage, salt and pepper, splosh of soy sauce. Mash it all together and roll it into 4 balls then pop them into the oven for about 30 minutes.

I roast the tomatoes in the oven for 15 minutes at the same time.

German gnocchi (Schupfnudeln) with a shakshuka-like sauce. I accidentally made it a bit too spicy, but overall not bad.
    I always like the soft gnocchi with a spicy, peppery sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I had the best meal of my life last night. We were in greystones for a few nights and managed to get a night out without the toddler. Not being familiar with the town we decided to go walkabout to find somewhere to eat. We ended up in an Indian called "Chakra by Jaipur".

Best vegetarian selection I've had, on their value menu I had 4 choices for main. For starter I had potato cakes with a tamarind dressing while my husband had free range chicken tikka. My main was paneer tikka and his was garlic prawn. Served with a huge portion of rice topped with caramelised onion and small buttery naans.

I'd really highly recommend it. We weren't drinking but the wines did look nice, although expensive. Dessert selection didn't persuade us to order one. The dinner though. Fab!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

In Delahunts on Camden street for dinner with work
    Yum yum

Whispered wrote: »
    I had the best meal of my life last night. We were in greystones for a few nights and managed to get a night out without the toddler. Not being familiar with the town we decided to go walkabout to find somewhere to eat. We ended up in an Indian called "Chakra by Jaipur".

Best vegetarian selection I've had, on their value menu I had 4 choices for main. For starter I had potato cakes with a tamarind dressing while my husband had free range chicken tikka. My main was paneer tikka and his was garlic prawn. Served with a huge portion of rice topped with caramelised onion and small buttery naans.

I'd really highly recommend it. We weren't drinking but the wines did look nice, although expensive. Dessert selection didn't persuade us to order one. The dinner though. Fab!

That sounds like my kind of place! Thanks for sharing that, I'll keep it in mind for next time we might be in the area :)

• Advertisement

I'm in beat the takeaway mode the last few months and tonight its Taco Fries!

Steak mince
    Red/Green peppers and onion finely chopped.
    Old el paso taco spice.
    Grated mozzerela.

And the best of my most recent finds - Taste of Goodness brand Taco sauce. Awesome stuff!

Lay out the fries. Smother in Taco sauce. Lash on the Taco mince and cover with cheese. This makes the takeaway version pale into insignificance.

Works well with oven chips if thats your thing. Haven't tried it with sweet potato fries yet.

By the way Taste of Goodness sauces are fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I'm in beat the takeaway mode the last few months and tonight its Taco Fries!

Steak mince
    Red/Green peppers and onion finely chopped.
    Old el paso taco spice.
    Grated mozzerela.

And the best of my most recent finds - Taste of Goodness brand Taco sauce. Awesome stuff!

Lay out the fries. Smother in Taco sauce. Lash on the Taco mince and cover with cheese. This makes the takeaway version pale into insignificance.

Works well with oven chips if thats your thing. Haven't tried it with sweet potato fries yet.

By the way Taste of Goodness sauces are fabulous.

It's lovely with sweet potato fries. I mix mayo with chipotle paste to make a spicy taco sauce.

Monday was turkey and spinach chilli with basmati rice

Tuesday was turkey and spinach chilli on top of a baked sweet potato and chilli and black pepper cheese.

Tonight was meatballs with green beans, broccoli, egg noodles and a mushroom and whiskey sauce.

First time making it, too many mushrooms but still tasty.

I made mushroom and leek quiche with crushed baby potatoes fried in some butter.
    It had to be soft food, as the husband has been to the dentist yesterday and is still a bit delicate.

Have we all stopped eating!

Tonight I cooked for the missus....AGAIN.:D I ate out at lunchtime so Im more or less done.

Chicken fried rice with red/green peppers and onion, done in a splash of soy sauce and toasted sesame seed oil. Simple but very tasty and filling.

Lentil "shepard's" pie with cheesy mash on top. Warm, soft (for the poor hubby), comforting and very very filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Smoked ham and chestnut mushroom risotto with lots of grated parmesan on top. I used the stock from the ham for the risotto and it was so tasty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had a bastardised dauphinoise tonight - the usual sliced potatoes in a garlic cream, but some onion, mushroom, chicken and bacon thrown in there too. It was really tasty. Some broccoli and cauliflower on the side to cut the richness.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

We had a bastardised dauphinoise tonight - the usual sliced potatoes in a garlic cream, but some onion, mushroom, chicken and bacon thrown in there too. It was really tasty. Some broccoli and cauliflower on the side to cut the richness.

I just read a blog post of a very similar dauphinoise, but with sprouts on the side:
    http://reactivecooking.com/potatoes-dauphinoise-with-embedded-ham/

arian wrote: »
    I just read a blog post of a very similar dauphinoise, but with sprouts on the side:
    http://reactivecooking.com/potatoes-dauphinoise-with-embedded-ham/

I robbed the idea from an old episode of Come Dine With Me. It's not dinner party food but it sure is delicious. :)

• Advertisement

I robbed the idea from an old episode of Come Dine With Me. It's not dinner party food but it sure is delicious. :)

Adding chicken and bacon sold me on it anyway!

The G Chef is having a night off so it's takeaway time! Pity the choices are pretty dire.:mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Freezer and fridge clear out- roast rack of rib eye, roast potatoes and fries with peri-peri powder sprinkled on them and fried red pepper and pac choi (go together lovely).

31616184463_2af9f0be86_z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

I had a slow cooked beef curry, made with beef, onions, garlic, ginger, chillies, carrots and peas

Put it on at nine am, ate it at 1730. So a good 8.5 hrs on a low heat. Served it with pilau rice, and some pitta bread.

It was goddam delicious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

After a long and trying day, I decided to spend some time in the kitchen and relax while cooking.
    So we had spaghetti and meatballs in tomato sauce and some cheese and garlic flatbread from Tesco.
    Delicious.

258c8wh.jpg

Shenshen wrote: »
    Lentil "shepard's" pie with cheesy mash on top. Warm, soft (for the poor hubby), comforting and very very filling.

Same.

Sticky spicy cauliflower and egg fried rice with peas

5d15qu.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Sticky spicy cauliflower and egg fried rice with peas

5d15qu.jpg

Looks delicious, have you any recipe to follow?

Roasted sweet potato with paprika and garlic, with lemon pepper chicken and veg.

Looks delicious, have you any recipe to follow?

I make this with chicken and the recipe is more or less the same.

Make up a light batter and dip the collyflower pieces in it. Bake them in the oven on 200 degrees celsius for 10 mins.

In a pot add soy suace, maple syrup, garlic and ginger and simmer for 10 mins. You can add some cornflour mixed with water if you wish for added consistency. Give it a good stir and when blended take it off the heat.

Remove the cauliflower pieces from the oven and pour the above mixture over them and place back in the oven for 5 mins.

Ready to go!

I hope that recipe is close to Shenshen's.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight was Indian take away. A rare treat for me these days.

We had Chicken Makhani, chicken pakora and garlic naan bread.

I can't eat take away rice at the moment so I cooked some wholegrain and had it with the Makhani and it was nicer than white rice, it was so so good, they went together so well.

Advertisement