Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I make this with chicken and the recipe is more or less the same.

Make up a light batter and dip the collyflower pieces in it. Bake them in the oven on 200 degrees celsius for 10 mins.

In a pot add soy suace, maple syrup, garlic and ginger and simmer for 10 mins. You can add some cornflour mixed with water if you wish for added consistency. Give it a good stir and when blended take it off the heat.

Remove the cauliflower pieces from the oven and pour the above mixture over them and place back in the oven for 5 mins.

Ready to go!

I hope that recipe is close to Shenshen's.:eek:

Close, but not quite.
    I've tried the cauliflower with batter, but I found the texture very unpleasant - very soft and stodgy. So now I dip the florets into beaten eggs, then into some corn flour (I salt that a bit, just because), and then bake them for around 15 minutes (shaking them up a bit in between to make sure they get baked evenly.

For the sauce, I mix soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, garlic, ginger, sriracha a bit of water and a good bit of sesame oil, and cook it as you described. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Peanut butter hummous veg burger from bangbang, beetroot, avocado, lettuce etc, 'mazin.

vmYyjwsl.jpg

Peanut butter hummous veg burger from bangbang, beetroot, avocado, lettuce etc, 'mazin.

Peanut butter hummous, eh? Now there's a thought... I'll give that a try. I suppose it's peanut butter instead of tahini?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Shenshen wrote: »
    Peanut butter hummous, eh? Now there's a thought... I'll give that a try. I suppose it's peanut butter instead of tahini?

Yes. It's a Nigella thing. Linky

We went to Five Guys last night. I had a 'little hamburger' 'all the way' - meaning with all the toppings, except for tomato, which I don't like on a burger. Split some fries and a chocolate malt with my husband. Pricey, but a really decent burger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That recipe is weird, yogurt in hummous! peanut butter is adventurous as it stands!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Slow cooker Hungarian goulash with baked potatoes. Spicy and warming :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Remember the slow cooked beef curry I made on Sunday?

Made pies out of the remainder this evening.

vH8iYE.jpg

Short crust pastry for the base, puff pastry for the top.

JhRQDq.jpg

Oh, also have a little person who is adamant that she prefers pies with a mashed spud top, so there's one of them in the mix too.

ABhV9Y.jpg

a3KZTw.jpg

They were nice, but i much preferred the steak and veg ones I had a few weekends ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Bangers and mash, with ketchup! A major lack of sleep last night meant I wanted something quick and lazy. It so hit the spot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

No feeling the best at the moment. Had a fish pie ready topop into the oven but when I got home it did not appeal so popped it into thr freezer. I had a small pizza from MS instead. Quite tasty,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Bangers and mash, with ketchup! A major lack of sleep last night meant I wanted something quick and lazy. It so hit the spot

Onion gravy. Must have onion gravy with bangers and mash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Miaireland wrote: »
    No feeling the best at the moment. Had a fish pie ready topop into the oven but when I got home it did not appeal so popped it into thr freezer. I had a small pizza from MS instead. Quite tasty,

Feel better soon.

When you're not feeling well you need to eat whatever you fancy :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Made a cottage pie yesterday, diced up the veg really small, so the kids wouldn't know they were there. Anyway, I found a recipe that had gravy mixed in with the veg. Smelled fab. Had to reheat it later for the gang. Kids got the bowls first. By the time I sat down with mine, half pint had his face buried in the bowl, licking the bits he missed with the fork. He absolutely loved it.

It was just myself last night, my OH had an evening class. So it was a really simple dinner of butter fried mushrooms with garlic and rosemary, on toasted slices of Lidl's "low GI multi-seed" bread. I'm not entirely sure what low GI is supposed to be, but that bread is seriously tasty.
    As were the mushrooms :D

Made peanut butter stew, one of my favourite dishes to make/eat. I usually leave it at chickpeas/potato but added some broccoli and spinach this time.

22QreCGl.jpg

Shenshen wrote: »
    It was just myself last night, my OH had an evening class. So it was a really simple dinner of butter fried mushrooms with garlic and rosemary, on toasted slices of Lidl's "low GI multi-seed" bread. I'm not entirely sure what low GI is supposed to be, but that bread is seriously tasty.
    As were the mushrooms :D

Low GI means low glycaemic index type food.

The only reason I know that, us because I undertook a high cardio - low gi diet/training programme a few years back.

Tbf, the weight (fat) flew off me, replaced by lean muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Baked salmon, carrots and mash for us tonight. :)

Hadn't had fish in ages so it was a nice change :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Puff_pasty_fry_up_baked.jpg

A sort of quiche for the criminally lazy, puff pastry rolled out onto baking tray with pre cooked mushrooms, onion, add bacon then after about 10 mins two eggs. Feeds two but I ate all this myself (and nearly wished I hadn't!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Khao pad gai, chicken fried rice.

DSC_0131.jpg

Fried eggs on top not mixed in. :)

DSC_0133.jpg

That looks great!

• Advertisement

We had prawns with olive oil, garlic and chilli, a dressed tomato salad and some hummus with toasted baguette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Chicken mushroom and cheese risotto
    Hmmmmm nom nom nom
    Plenty for tomorrow too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I made this (veggie option) from an Irish Times recipe this evening - Turmeric & Coconut stew.

It was... okay. Others would probably enjoy it more, though.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/recipes/turmeric-sunshine-coconut-stew-1.2831647

Didn't know what to have tonight until I had a ramble around Lidl. I spotted a six pack of Tsingtao so I've opted for a home made chicken chow mein to go with the beers.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Didn't no what to have tonight until I had a ramble around Lidl. I spotted a six pack of Tsingtao so I've opted for a home made chicken chow mein to go with the beers.

Lol, I was somewhat similar.

I spotted these bad boys in Lidl too.

QXUrmw.jpg

But I had a curry with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That would have nicely washed down my lemon & chilli ramen this evening, made with finely sliced leftover roast pork shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Lidl have dim sum on special this week, delicious!

11AC8BD1-3971-4DFF-A066-920B0EFFE50C_zps2pbkhyqw.jpg

Mrs G! also made chicken balls with sweet & sour sauce and egg fried rice.

982B3B28-F3BD-4CDE-8F0E-DFEA3ECC9830_zpsejvv0acx.jpg

Happy New Year!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,791 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Soy-ey ginger soup of sorts with velvet chicken, sweet peppers, chillies, spring onions and egg noodles. Needed darker soy I think but was surprisingly quick.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I had a vicious craving for dumplings last night, and the place I normally get them from was closed for Chinese New Year. I wish I'd known about Lidl then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

We had Indian takeaway last night. I thought that I should expand my horizons & went for one of the chef's suggestions - Duck Kovalam (described as tender pieces of duck, fried in fresh curry leaves & mustard seeds with ginger - all ticking my boxes).

It was crap. I'm sticking to my lamb vindaloo in future.

Advertisement