Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Last night I had Thai prawn fish cakes from Aldi done in the oven, with freshly cut (baked in the oven) chips and a salad tossed in chilli/lime dressing.

Cheated a wee bit using the Aldi fish cakes, but to be fair, they're delicious, and I doubt I could get the same results making at home from scratch.

I will echo Faith, on the dumplings. Wished I had of seen that post before I made a trip to the shops yesterday. They look good.

Hillbilly, i loves my Indian take aways, never strayed from lamb/chicken as the meat though, (apart from having mackerel as a starter) wouldn't have guessed duck would be a feature on many Indian menus.

I will add that i visited a new Indian in Tallaght over the Christmas holidays called "Mam's" it was honestly one of the nicest indian meals i have had in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Went out tonight to Vikings Steakhouse in Clontarf. Had the Steak on a Stone.

A 10oz fillet that is served bleu on a searing hot stone that you slice off and cook each slice on the stone to your liking. A delicious and melt in the mouth steak served in a novel way. Highly recommend the place although it was very quiet when we went there this evening.

CE2999F6-8E4A-42D6-BEB3-7A3574EB0F83_zpsgxh5jelw.jpg

Them chips. ^^^

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Went out tonight to Vikings Steakhouse in Clontarf. Had the Steak on a Stone.

A 10oz fillet that is served bleu on a searing hot stone that you slice off and cook each slice on the stone to your liking. A delicious and melt in the mouth steak served in a novel way. Highly recommend the place although it was very quiet when we went there this evening.

There's a few places near me that serve in the same way but we always make an effort to drive out to clontarf for Vikings, the quality of the meat is incredible. And that bernaise sauce.... Drool.

The last two times we've gone out they weren't open (once because we got there an hour early than opening time and the last time because they were renovating) and it's been such a disappointment to eat the food in the bar downstairs. They only reopened 23rd January I think so that's as good an excuse as to go back soon!

If you're ever out that direction again though I can't recommend Kinarra for Indian food high enough. Seriously tasty food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Last night was chicken curry with brown rice and a baked salmon darne as it had to be used up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Beef casserole lashed over some roasted Maris Piper spuds. A snickers to finish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Pasta with bacon and mushroom with a little chicken stock, cream cheese and pesto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Bacon cabbage, mash and parsley sauce.... wow I feel boring!

To be honest my dinner is very repetitive... not much variety, constantly either mash, homemade chips or rice or pasta.

quite bored of the same things every week, steak, onions peppers, carrots, roast dinners etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Mexican style roast veg ragu with basmati rice - a Jamie Oliver recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Bacon cabbage, mash and parsley sauce.... wow I feel boring!

To be honest my dinner is very repetitive... not much variety, constantly either mash, homemade chips or rice or pasta.

Nothing wrong with those dinners at all dartboardio! If you want some variety look up the cooking club. (I must look up the cooking club myself and if still going, contribute again)

Last night (and leftovers tonight) was roast chicken, mash, peas and homemade Yorkshire puddings and a nice wine gravy.

• Advertisement

Pies tonight again :o

Had some mince that needed to be used up today, so fried some with onion, garlic, carrots and peas.

Added some basil, mixed herbs, splash of Worcester suave, and a bit of gravy.

Let the mixtures liquid reduce a bit, then into the enamel dishes with the usual, short crust for base, puff pastry for the top.

Brushed with egg wash.

tYPwbR.jpg

I served them up with homemade oven baked chips, and covered in chef brown sauce.

A4WnYB.jpg

Real comfort food.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Have a couple of home made pizzas in the oven. Home made dough and sauce, fresh chilli, mozzarella, salami, mushroom and sweetcorn.

Yeah I must look that up thanks, never actually heard of it and funnily enough I actually really enjoy cooking and finding new recipes I just find it hard to believe there's dinners to be enjoyed without any carbs! :D

I would love to start cooking some fish dishes.. sea bass, salmon etc without mash as I constantly have it..

Them pies look so good. Craving something like that right now, ha. did you make the puff pastry yourself or just buy it?
    Looks yummmmmy.

Hi dartboard, just store bought pastry. Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Cannelloni filled with roasted vegetables and ayvar. To keep it healthy, I used cottage cheese instead of bechamel sauce and I think I'm going to stick with that. It tasted lovely, and the texture of the cottage cheese was really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Gilma2010

Spanish chicken and rice. I started cooking mostly from scratch the last year or so, there are dairy and soya allergies in my house. Found the recipe on a Spanish cooking blog and it's one pot too, the kids love it.

Onion, garlic, a red pepper and chicken breasts browned with 1tsp each of paprika and oregano, 200ml white wine, chili flakes and black pepper. 200g of basmati rice and 400ml of organic* chicken stock (*tastes better) added to the pan with a couple of handfuls of frozen peas. Cooked for 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Lidl have dim sum on special this week, delicious!

Are they frozen or in the refrigerated section? Are they supposed to be available all week long? I'm planning a dim sum lunch on the basis of your pictures!!

Are they frozen or in the refrigerated section? Are they supposed to be available all week long? I'm planning a dim sum lunch on the basis of your pictures!!

I visited the two lidls in Naas on Sunday, and neither had them. I think that the Chinese New year stuff was running for a limited period of time, and I missed it.

I was much disappointed. They looked the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The dim sum were in the frozen section. I did them on Sunday & they were OK. (I found the cooking times to be way off & they needed a lot longer than stated - for steaming anyway.) The beef spring rolls were quite good though.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm doing your pie recipe today! Well I'm going to use mince meat or stew beef. Would u recommend cooking the meat before hand so it doesn't go hard? Then put into pie and cook in oven? With gravy and worcestire sauce.

• Advertisement

Sorry for all the questions. I'm doing your pie recipe today! Well I'm going to use mince meat or stew beef. Would u recommend cooking the meat before hand so it doesn't go hard? Then put into pie and cook in oven? With gravy and worcestire sauce.

Hi Dartboardio. I know you aren't speaking to me but meat fillings in pies absolutely must be cooked before being put in the pie.

It's not so that it doesn't go hard, it's so that it is safe to eat.

I recommend using a recipe if you are just learning. Maybe this one? http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/537886/puff-pastry-minced-beef-pie (I'd also add some tomato puree and Worcestershire sauce for added flavour.)

If you use stewing beef, it will need to be cooked for a couple of hours in advance in order to become tender. Mince is quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

I visited the two lidls in Naas on Sunday, and neither had them. I think that the Chinese New year stuff was running for a limited period of time, and I missed it.

I was much disappointed. They looked the part.

None in Lidl Stillorgan either. Ended up having a couple of Scotch Eggs for lunch :mad:

Tonight was pulled pork on warm Ciabatta buns, topped with coleslaw, red onion, tomato and barbeque sauce, served up with homemade spicy potato wedges.

The smuttier version appears in another thread.:D

Mystery egg! Thank you that is what I'm doing , I bought stewing beef , which is in the oven with carrots and beef stock and worcestshire sauce, that will be ready in about two hours then its time to roll out the puff pastry and throw the pies in the oven! Hope they turn out okay , will post pics later
     homemade chips too and brown sauce as recommended by previous poster with pics that made me want the pies!

Tacos tonight. Spicy minced beef, warm crispy tacos, a chopped salad of tomatoes, scallions, red onion, sweet corn and lemon juice, shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar and sour cream. Delicious.

Mystery egg! Thank you that is what I'm doing , I bought stewing beef , which is in the oven with carrots and beef stock and worcestshire sauce, that will be ready in about two hours then its time to roll out the puff pastry and throw the pies in the oven! Hope they turn out okay , will post pics later :) homemade chips too and brown sauce as recommended by previous poster with pics that made me want the pies!

You are absolutely on the right track with that. Looking forward to the pics!

Tacos tonight. Spicy minced beef, warm crispy tacos, a chopped salad of tomatoes, scallions, red onion, sweet corn and lemon juice, shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar and sour cream. Delicious.

Add this to the mix. You will not regret it.

TACO SAUCE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Egg fried noodles with mushrooms, courgette, broccoli, leek, carrots, mangetouts and a bit of satay-style sauce. With a good squirt of sriracha on top. Yum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Chicken curry :)

• Advertisement

OK I hope the meat turns out OK...it looks a bit hard. Feels it too. Hope this isn't a disaster, I put it into a pot of stock and let it simmer instead of staying in oven! Hopefully when the gravy and sauce are in the pie with meat later it'll soften up a bit

Advertisement