Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

If you are using them, where did you get the ring molds? Been looking casually for a while...

They are Tians. You can buy them in catering shops or online. Silver rings basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Aye, I know what they are, I've looked up a few but either sold out or non-existant, both online and in a few shops in town (though less so since March admittedly). I'm looking for a source that I can buy from online preferably.

Note, I don't use Amazon or similar sites.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Roald Dahl

If you are using them, where did you get the ring molds? Been looking casually for a while...

Yes, I did use those ring things. :) I can't actually remember where i got them! I would say it was probably in Home Store & More.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Made Tapas for the housemates last night...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Harissa coated lamb leg steaks, served with salad and parsley, couscous, hummus and some natural yoghurt with mint sauce stirred through.

Obligatory pitta bread on the side of course.

IMG-20200917-182103.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭newportlad

Shenshen wrote: »
    A chickpea and sweet potato curry, aloo gobi, rice and chapatis

Could I get the recipe for the curry? Looks lovely

Quinoa and kale burgers, with pickled onions and courgettes, avocado and halloumi. Becuase that's what I had in the fridge.

wvHStjR.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Barbecued ribeye and baby potatoes with ratatouille.

20200917-184248.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Ministrone soup with sprouted rye bread and some cheese, followed by a slice of carrot cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Steaks on the BBQ tonight. Got to use the new branding iron. Need to get it hotter next time, you can’t really make out ‘BBQ KING’ :) You can change the letters around to spell out whatever you like, just a bit of fun really for the end of bbq season :D

526644.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

2 slices of white bread buttered, filled with lovely chips.
    Jam doughnut.
    Coke Zero.
    Bliss!!

Also my first (and last) packet of Banshee Bones. Don't know what the fuss is about to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Aye, I know what they are, I've looked up a few but either sold out or non-existant, both online and in a few shops in town (though less so since March admittedly). I'm looking for a source that I can buy from online preferably.

Note, I don't use Amazon or similar sites.

You can make them with stiff tin foil if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

newportlad wrote: »
    Could I get the recipe for the curry? Looks lovely

I know I got it from a website, but I can't find that page again for the life of me now!
    Here's how I made it :

Chickpea and sweet potatoes

1 chopped onion
    1 chopped tomato
    1 tin of coconut milk
    1 tin of chickpeas, drained
    2 small sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
    1 tsp of garlic and ginger puree (or some grated garlic and grated ginger)
    1 tsp of cumin seeds
    1 tsp of mustard seeds
    1 tsp of turmeric
    1 tsp of coriander
    1 tsp of garam masala
    chili to taste, salt to taste

Fry up the onion, cumin seeds and mustard seeds in a little oil (mustard oil, if you have it). Once the onion is soft and the seeds start crackling, add the ginger, garlic and chopped tomato. Add the turmeric, coriander and garam masala and cook until you see a paste come together and separating a little from the oil. Add the sweet potatoes and coconut milk. Simmer until the sweet potato chunks are soft, then add in the chickpeas and season with salt and chili.

The Aloo Gobi was made pretty much following this recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Cacio e Pepe

IMG-20200918-202444.jpg

A lot of recipes don't call for garlic which is madness in my mind. The sauce should start with oil and a good 4 or 5 cloves of garlic. Then chili flakes, then butter, then pasta water, then pepper, then pasta and cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

Roast chicken done in the slow cooker and finished in the oven. Mashed spuds and an obscene amount of sprouts. God, I love sprouts.

Also way too much gin, so this evenings dinner will be all the carbs in the form of the dirtiest, messiest, biggest burger I can fit in my mouth and chipper chips with lashings of salt and vinegar. With no gin.

I'm entertaining myself here by looking up local chipper menus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thursday night - Mediterranean Puff Pastry Tart

F6-A21255-4650-4-D04-A5-A0-8-F9-CDB258-E20.jpg

Friday Night - Chicken Escalopes with Caper Butter, Brocolli Mash and Courgettes with Tomatoes

8-B8-A09-B9-3224-430-B-89-AE-31-C00529474-B.jpg

Tonight - can’t believe I’ve never made it before - Sweet & Sour Chicken (Hong Kong Style) with Boiled Rice

6-FADD1-DA-B385-49-EF-A5-EC-282-ACEBF4861.jpg

Thursday night - Mediterranean Puff Pastry Tart

Friday Night - Chicken Escalopes with Caper Butter, Brocolli Mash and Courgettes with Tomatoes.

Tonight - can’t believe I’ve never made it before - Sweet & Sour Chicken (Hong Kong Style) with Boiled Rice

All three of your meals have just inspired me. I'm going to make them all this week. :D

Care to share your recipe for the sweet and sour pork?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

All three of your meals have just inspired me. I'm going to make them all this week. :D

Care to share your recipe for the sweet and sour pork?

Thanks! :)

The Sweet & Sour was a mix of this healthish bit from usual BBC food site -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sweet_and_sour_chicken_52908

And the Hong Style Chicken was just diced chicken, dipped in egg, then corn flour and fried. It’s messy, cornflour is a weird ingredient. But worth it. Kids loved it and I fed 6 people for less than a tenner.

• Advertisement

Made this last night in the instant pot, and it just needed heated up this evening when I got in and it was absolutely savage.

IMG-20200921-173633.jpg

Chicken and spinach curry (chicken saag for those who may be interested in your local takeaway version)

Can't believe how well it turned out, considering it was made with fairly basic ingredients, and i think took about 35mins to make.

Was the first curry I've ever made that had no tomatoes in it, not even tomato puree, tasty and healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Saag Gosht is my favourite Indian meal. That looks really good.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Saag Gosht is my favourite Indian meal. That looks really good.

Absolutely mine too, the recipe for the one I make calls for the spinach/onion/garlic/ginger to be blended into a sauce after pressure cooking them with the chicken (remove the chicken then place it back in the blended mixture to simmer afterwards)

I added extra spinach afterwards though as that's how I'd be used to takeaway versions.

I am the first to admit that it doesn't exactly look pretty, but it was dam tasty, takeaway quality almost.

We had paella!

I always end up making paella when there is a load of veg that needs to be used up. :)

Paella-1.jpg

I usually use Carmencita Paellero mix, which they regularly have on sale in TK Maxx, and then season it further to taste.

Paella-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Roald Dahl wrote: »
    We had paella!

Where did you get that smoked Paprika?

The Nal wrote: »
    Where did you get that smoked Paprika?

In TK Maxx too. They usually have different brands each time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

^I never think of TKMaxx. It's so hard to find a nice smoked paprika.

The other night we had marinated chicken fillets cooked on the bbq with Nandos-type rice.

20200921-190618.jpg

Tonight we had Tesco beer battered cod with buttery mash and veg.

20200923-190315.jpg

Turkey meatball and tortellini soup. I made waaaay too much.

T6gy1oy.jpg

Last night we had an Indian takeaway. Lamb chilli masala, basmati rice, onion bhaji, garlic naan. Mango and mint chutneys. So good.

Tonight we had loin of bacon, boiled, glazed and roasted. Roast potatoes and gravy. Carrot and parsnip mash. Stuffed mushrooms. Delicious.

The two year old ate a plateful of roast potatoes and gravy. At least he ate something! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Any kind soul care to share a recipe for the saag?

Advertisement