Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Any kind soul care to share a recipe for the saag?

Here's the recipe I used last week after seeing that post. I used diced thighs as opposed to legs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chickenwithspinach_90047

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

And this is the one I used

https://pipingpotcurry.com/chicken-saag-pressure-cooker/

Just a few things to note, I've made it twice now, some things I've changed, and imo for the better.

Add a chopped chilli to the onions at the start which you will be blending. (If you aren't a fan of heat, don't bother)

Brown the chicken first either in the instant pot, or in a pan. I think it's a nicer texture than what is just essentially boiled/pressure cooked chicken.

I added extra spinach at the end in my first batch, that was good, but I left it out of the second batch - to me it was better.

Lastly as my son exclaimed that "it looked like a horse had eaten too much grass" I added a table spoon of tomato puree into my second batch (I didn't get a pic unfortunately) and it definitely looked better for it.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Steaming hot red lentil cottage pie, with cheesy mash on top

V3lWUSb.jpg

Made a great big pan of chicken enchiladas this evening.

IMG-20200928-175237.jpg

Chicken, diced onion, garlic, peppers and jalapenos, in a spicy tomato sauce, wrap them in tortillas, cover with more sauce, and sprinkle with grated cheese.

Fresh out of the oven here.

IMG-20200928-183111.jpg

Served simply with garlic baby potatoes.

IMG-20200928-181727.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had steak fajitas for lunch, so for dinner we had soup and a sandwich. Home made leek and potato, with ham, cheese and onion sambos on beautiful bakery fresh bread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had cottage pie tonight. I always put plenty of onion into the meat base, but recently I've been adding a good pinch of onion granules too and it makes a huge difference to the flavour.

20200928-183605.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Roald Dahl

We had some fishcakes, made with smoked mackerel from Lidl and some leftover potatoes.

We chopped up some recently-made preserved lemons and used them in the salad. :)

Mackerel-Fishcakes.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Roald Dahl wrote: »
    We had some fishcakes, made with smoked mackerel from Lidl and some leftover potatoes.

We chopped up some recently-made preserved lemons and used them in the salad. :)

Next time put some in the fishcakes, too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had slow roasted pork ribs. I cooked them with a Sticky Ribs dry rub, then turned up the heat and brushed them with my best barbecue sauce yet. We ate them with Aldi skin on fries and not a vegetable in sight :D

20200929-185625.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

We ate them with Aldi skin on fries and not a vegetable in sight :D

20200929-185625.jpg[

lets-go-vegan_o_7028087.jpg

Managed to grab the last two bags of Skin on fries yesterday in my local, I'd have bought 10 if they'd been there! Hopefully the replacements are as good. Had some with chicken quesadillas. Made my own spice mix for the chicken and Tesco corn wraps. Won't bother getting the old el paso kits anymore I'd say, mine had more flavour. The old el paso wraps are better but they are nearly the same price as the kits.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Old el Paso are only good for their corn chips, very nice.

Whatever happened to Discover Mexican sauces, they were decent enough.

We're really starved for quality Mexican food here. You dubs are lucky to have that deli place Picado, but it's pricey on the shipping to down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Roald Dahl wrote: »

Mackerel-Fishcakes.jpg

The chips on the side look amazing too

Last day of the month so was out the door (literally) all day in the wind and rain finishing up jobs on a few different sites and if anyone wasn't already aware, i can let you know winter is definitely on its way, wet and horrible.

Anyway, the better half was working from home today and said she'd make me dinner, great I thought, be great to get back home out of the rain to a nice warm home cooked meal.

My wife (vegetarian) made for me the following..... Wait for it.

Meatloaf.......... Served with chips.................and couscous............and sweetcorn.

Honestly a weird accompaniment to each other I thought, and not a drop of gravy or sauce anywhere but it was actually very nice.

No photo but it was very good.

We had home made salmon goujons with lemon garlic mayo, and real home made chips. Not a vejjable in sight.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Slow Cooker Roast Beef and Roast Potatoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

conor_ie wrote: »
    Slow Cooker Roast Beef and Roast Potatoes!

Oh recipe for the beef please.

Chicken thigh fillets chopped sprinkled with Chinese five spice, and then stirfried with finely diced spring onions, garlic, ginger, chilli's and corriander, then add in peppers, and add noodles that have been resting in boiling water with broccoli, add soy sauce as needed.

When almost done, add some honey and just before serving a good sprinkle of Thai 5 spice.

IMG-20201001-182156.jpg

We had vegetables spring rolls and sweet chili sauce to go with them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Old reliable steak dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Combination of Mexican and Middle Eastern (like Salma Hayek!) - Mexican style chicken stew but with chick peas and tzatziki instead of black beans and sour cream.

McMurphy wrote: »
    And this is the one I used

https://pipingpotcurry.com/chicken-saag-pressure-cooker/

Just a few things to note, I've made it twice now, some things I've changed, and imo for the better.

Add a chopped chilli to the onions at the start which you will be blending. (If you aren't a fan of heat, don't bother)

Brown the chicken first either in the instant pot, or in a pan. I think it's a nicer texture than what is just essentially boiled/pressure cooked chicken.

I added extra spinach at the end in my first batch, that was good, but I left it out of the second batch - to me it was better.

Lastly as my son exclaimed that "it looked like a horse had eaten too much grass" I added a table spoon of tomato puree into my second batch (I didn't get a pic unfortunately) and it definitely looked better for it.

Hope that helps.

Made this as discussed above last night for this evening's dinner.

Was extremely tasty.

Bit of naan on the side.

IMG-20201005-174816.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Beef stew with some apple cake and custard for dessert

pew wrote: »
    Beef stew with some apple cake and custard for dessert

Dessert of a Monday? The notions! Nothing says autumn like apple cake or crumble :)

Edit: I've just seen it in the Baking thread - yum!!

We had loin of bacon with roasted root veg and cabbage.

20201005-183805.jpg

Yum.

Chowed down on chilli con carne here tonight. Very spicy and warming.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

On Sunday, Mrs. Beer made borscht and I did a casserole of beef ribs.

Monday dinner?
    Borscht with slow cooked beef rib. What a wonderful match!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Had some veg to use up, so just made pasta with peas, rashers, asparagus and leeks with some marscapone based sauce. Simple and delicious.

VcFV2qa.jpg

Looks lovely Dave.

We had fish (pollack) and roast veg.

Chopped up some baby potatoes, courgettes, onions, garlic and red pepper and tossed them in sundried tomato pesto and olive oil. Seasoned with salt and pepper and roasted them. A very quick, tasty and healthy hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I had rump steak,chips and onion rings.Very nice too.

We had chicken, chorizo and chickpea stew. Spicy and warming :)

20201006-185106.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭50HX

On Sunday, Mrs. Beer made borscht and I did a casserole of beef ribs.

Monday dinner?
    Borscht with slow cooked beef rib. What a wonderful match!

I love borscht

Did she make it from scratch??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

And if she did, can we have a recipe? I've never made borscht but I want to.

Advertisement