Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Made some beef and Guinness stew. Slow cooked it for about three hours. Brought it in to work for the night shift so forgive the presentation. Tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

And if she did, can we have a recipe? I've never made borscht but I want to.

She used a Hairy Bikers' recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Following on from our recent Chicken Saag, tried making a Saag Paneer today.

Third time making Paneer and the second time it just turned out like jelly as opposed to solid enough to cut into cubes.

Took ages to get it chunky and browned in the frying pan but well worth it. It had a real meaty texture.

Served with shop-bought Naan and Poppadoms.

25-E78-CE9-ED55-4-D6-F-8-E1-E-A45822097642.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco used to have a refrigerated chicken saag dish with what they called gunpowder potatoes. It was only 2euro and not in their "value" range, no idea why it was so cheap, and not highlighted as an offer.

rare to see a saag dish in supermarkets, and even more rare to see potatoes with a curry type dish. It was nothing amazing but worth €2!

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/299599904

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had crispy corn tacos tonight, stuffed with taco mince, lettuce, tomatoes, jalapenos, avocado, salsa, sour cream and cheese.

The baby basically ate a bowl of meat and cheese. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My Sunday dinner ( a noonish event) was cottage pie, mashed carrots and parsnips, and greens fresh from the garden

The pie and roots courtesy of Supervalu and excellent..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Picked up a random jar of "Moroccan meatball sauce" in Aldi yesterday (I'm a divil for North African inspired food) and made meatballs with it this evening.

Finely diced some red onion with garlic and chilli and some copies corriander fried with the meatballs, then added cubed carrots and charred peppers and then added the sauce.

Served with couscous.

Was savage. If you see the sauce, buy it.

IMG-20201011-191916.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Made lamb curry in the slow cooker,was really nice.

Made shredded chicken the other day that turned out lovely as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Skin on, mashed potatoes, pan fried chicken thigh fillets, carrots done in garlic butter, corn and gravy.

IMG-20201012-183645.jpg

Roast vegetable puff tart with goat's cheese and black pudding. Extremely easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Red Lentil Curry. Spicy and warming.

IS8u9tr.jpg?1

We had shin beef stew. It was good, but do you know, I'm really not gone on shin. I know it's the cut most recommended for stewing, but it always reminds me slightly of dog food. I cooked it in the pressure cooker (well, Instant Pot) for 27 minutes. There's such an excess of gristle or collagen or whatever that I find it never fully breaks down. It's a bit like how pork belly can be sometimes - just too much going on that's not quite meat.

Anyway we had it with mashed potatoes and some nice rye and sprouted grain bread. The baby didn't touch it.

I didn't get a photo so all you get is a pic of the leftovers for tomorrow's lunch. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Butternut squash and pumpkin pasta.

vvETDj2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Butternut squash and pumpkin pasta.

That looks Devine. Would you mind telling us the recipe? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had shin beef stew. It was good, but do you know, I'm really not gone on shin. I know it's the cut most recommended for stewing, but it always reminds me slightly of dog food. I cooked it in the pressure cooker (well, Instant Pot) for 27 minutes. There's such an excess of gristle or collagen or whatever that I find it never fully breaks down. It's a bit like how pork belly can be sometimes - just too much going on that's not quite meat.

Anyway we had it with mashed potatoes and some nice rye and sprouted grain bread. The baby didn't touch it.

I didn't get a photo so all you get is a pic of the leftovers for tomorrow's lunch. :pac:

I used to use it a lot but I went off it, I find the taste too strong. I've gone back to using rib beef, it has just the right amount of marbling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Porklife wrote: »
    That looks Devine. Would you mind telling us the recipe? :)

Based on this. But with more butter, garlic and parmesan probably.

I just sauteed some onion with garlic and fresh sage chopped up. Peeled, cubed and simmered the pumpkin/squash til it was cooked, then into the food processor with some butter, some of the pasta water and some of the onion mix. Then mixed with the rest of the onion mix, pasta, pasta water if needed and some grated parmesan. Topped with more parmesan and pepper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mr. Dizzy stood out in a gale tonight barbecuing ribeyes :)

20201013-184425.jpg

I used to use it a lot but I went off it, I find the taste too strong. I've gone back to using rib beef, it has just the right amount of marbling.

Thanks for the tip, this is exactly what I will do. I love rib, especially a rolled rib roast served nice and pink. Very flavoursome.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Also use rib steak from the butchers. Always think some level of fat is required for stew and slow cooking

• Registered Users Posts: 21,201 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not sure it counts but just had a quick late night spaghetti aglio e olio... hit the spot, but herself probably wont thank me!

Has been years since I made it and trying to figure out why!

• Advertisement

Good old spag bol here tonight, with some tagliatelle, garlic bread and grated cheddar on the top. Simmered low all afternoon, with lots of garlic and red wine. Twas lovely.

All the small man ate was the inside of the garlic bread. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

All the small man ate was the inside of the garlic bread. Sigh.

Try not to beat yourselves up about it. My first memory is of all my family cheering because I finished my plate of dinner for the first time. Now look at me! :)

Try not to beat yourselves up about it. My first memory is of all my family cheering because I finished my plate of dinner for the first time. Now look at me! :)

That is a genuinely heartwarming story! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Worked late, didn't want to skip my evening cycle, so it had to be quick.

I fried up a yellow pepper, some mushrooms, spring onions and garlic, added a tablespoon each of cream cheese and ajvar and a splash of water, then stirred through some chives and parsley. Quickest and tastiest pasta sauce I've made in quite a while.

enH8eY4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

Shenshen wrote: »
    Worked late, didn't want to skip my evening cycle, so it had to be quick.

I fried up a yellow pepper, some mushrooms, spring onions and garlic, added a tablespoon each of cream cheese and ajvar and a splash of water, then stirred through some chives and parsley. Quickest and tastiest pasta sauce I've made in quite a while.

Did you make or buy the ajvar?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Recliner wrote: »
    Did you make or buy the ajvar?

I bought it. There's a Pakistani Cash&Carry here in Cork that also stocks a lot of Eastern Mediterranean food. His ambition is to culinarily cover everything from the Mahgreb to Indonesia, I suspect. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

I bought it. There's a Pakistani Cash&Carry here in Cork that also stocks a lot of Eastern Mediterranean food. His ambition is to culinarily cover everything from the Mahgreb to Indonesia, I suspect. :pac:

There's a Hal Al meat and food shop in Clonmel here, they do carry a lot of herbs and spices also. I might have a look this weekend.
    That dish looks fabulous, I love something that's that simple but packs a wallop of flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Shenshen... where on where abouts is this cash&carry shop you speak of in the city? Mad for proper eastern food

Home made pizza tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Can i ask which is the best store bought chicken stock cubes for soup.

Advertisement