Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Knorr "jelly" pots are good. Usually on offer in one place or another. Don't pay full price :)

Oxo vegatable cubes seem to me to be out of all proportion better than standard Oxo cubes. Just add one to whatever stock you're using and feel the veggie goodness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I quite like the Kallo cubes for what they offer - which includes chicken. "Just Bouillon" is the same company but different ingredients and also fine - Dunnes often have these instead.

While not relevant for chicken, Knorr seem to be the only people who consistently have lamb and pork stock cubes going and both are good albeit I clearly have no reference point from another brand - comparing to the rare times I've made my own stock isn't really valid.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Little brother made this for me tonight, was delicious!

IMG20201017200613.jpg

fennel pasta sausage

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Homemade chicken burger and wedges tonight. Nicest burger I’ve had in yonks.

I made a sauce/relish? with some mayonnaise, chopped cornichons, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, s&p that went unbelievably well with it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=529652&d=1602966969

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Son made burgers for the first time today. 1000g, 18% fat, mince, divided into 8, shaped in a burger press. Sprinkle of salt and pepper on each pattie. In the fridge for a couple of hours.

Line a grill tray with tin foil, pierce loads of times and place the patties on top. Under a really hot grill, close to the element as possible. 4/5 minutes each side. Last minute with plastic cheese on top. Two patties per burger.

Served with chopped lettuce, tomato and crispy onions, mayo and ketchup.

They were so simple and superb. All courtesy of the burger thread here. Thanks all! :)

D4-A60190-26-CC-434-F-9949-EBA0308-A9-A9-E.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Son made burgers for the first time today. 1000g, 18% fat, mince, divided into 8, shaped in a burger press. Sprinkle of salt and pepper on each pattie. In the fridge for a couple of hours.

Line a grill tray with tin foil, pierce loads of times and place the patties on top. Under a really hot grill, close to the element as possible. 4/5 minutes each side. Last minute with plastic cheese on top. Two patties per burger.

Served with chopped lettuce, tomato and crispy onions, mayo and ketchup.

They were so simple and superb. All courtesy of the burger thread here. Thanks all! :)

Wow!!! Major burger envy! Thanks for the recipe, DEFINITELY making some during the week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Did a quick karahi chicken curry last night using a Mighty Spice pack I picked up in SuperValu. It was only ok, I needed some yogurt maybe to add at the end.
    I normally use the Green Saffron spice blends for handiness, and I found myself wishing I was having that last night.

attachment.php?attachmentid=529703&d=1603020956

There's a lovely Indian curry recipe on ilovecookingireland's instagram page today.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CGe7Q32ncsH/
    Thanks to Dizzyblonde I made this for dinner tonight. Just happened to see the post before I went for the weekly shop so said I’d give it a bash. So simple and so full of flavour. The fresh tomatoes give it a real fresh zing. I finished it off with a half teaspoon of Garam Masala stirred through the pot before serving and also with a dollop of Yoghurt.

I’d imagine it’s quite healthy too, given that it’s just onion, tomatoes, lean chicken and spices.

attachment.php?attachmentid=529748&d=1603053660

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It looks fab BaZmO*, I'm going to make it later this week. I'm delighted to hear it tastes as good as I thought it would :)

It looks fab BaZmO*, I'm going to make it later this week. I'm delighted to hear it tastes as good as I thought it would :)

I was surprised at how tasty it was given how simple it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Shenshen... where on where abouts is this cash&carry shop you speak of in the city? Mad for proper eastern food

It's not in the city itself, it's out near the Kinsale Road, it's called Zaiqa Cash & Carry

Malai kofta with fresh garlic and coriander naans.
    I baked the koftas rather than frying them, but they turned out a little dry. Good excuse for trying again sometime soon :D

YyVihjH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Shenshen wrote: »
    Steaming hot red lentil cottage pie, with cheesy mash on top

[IMG][/img]

That's a great idea actually for those of us looking to reduce meat intake. I started making a half and half shepards pie a few years ago where a lot of the filling is bulked out with kidney beans and veg but lentils would make a great mince sub alright.

How did you cook the lentils?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Cork Boy wrote: »
    That's a great idea actually for those of us looking to reduce meat intake.

I have started making lasagne and shepherd's pie with green lentils. They hold their shape more than the red ones, which are great to thicken soups etc. I boil them for 40 minutes first then cook with the veg and sauce of whatever dish I am making. They are a great substitute for mince.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭maximo31

Sometimes simple of a weekend night is what's called for! Homemade chips , jumbo sausages , fried egg and baked beans!:)
    Hit the spot.

Cork Boy wrote: »
    That's a great idea actually for those of us looking to reduce meat intake. I started making a half and half shepards pie a few years ago where a lot of the filling is bulked out with kidney beans and veg but lentils would make a great mince sub alright.

How did you cook the lentils?

I usually mix red lentils and brown or green ones. The red lentils dissolve and thicken the gravy, and the green or brown ones add texture.
    This time, I only had red ones. I cooked them together with some fried onions, celery and chopped carrots in some water with 2 bay leaves and 3 tsp of paprika. I then added a tin of mixed beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

I usually mix red lentils and brown or green ones. The red lentils dissolve and thicken the gravy, and the green or brown ones add texture.

Great idea. Cheers. I made Jamie Oliver's Nut Roast over the weekend and it was fantastic. Used cous cous instead of quinoa as that's what I had to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Wild rabbit, casseroled with brown beer and mustard.
    Served with red cargo rice, fried squash from the garden and parsley salad.

Still have the saddles to cook.
    Will post a pic, later.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Wild rabbit, casseroled with brown beer and mustard.
    Served with red cargo rice, fried squash from the garden and parsley salad.

Still have the saddles to cook.
    Will post a pic, later.
    Poor Bunny :D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Horrible weather today so fancied some comfort food. Made this for the housemates

Bangers & mash

• Advertisement

What’s for dinner? Breakfast! :)

82137963-D223-49-DE-BCB2-F2-C1-E948-CD8-D.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I love a fry for my dinner!

I had baked potato with tuna, sweetcorn, mayo and cheese. It was very disappointing!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

vqmWN3x
    The ever reliable Mogerley Steak and Kidney Pie, Mash, Brocelli, Sprouts and fried onions, It really hit the spot !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Malai kofta with fresh garlic and coriander naans.
    I baked the koftas rather than frying them, but they turned out a little dry. Good excuse for trying again sometime soon :D

Your naan looks really beautiful. Home made? Shop bought? I want some!

I repeated last week's successful roasted vegetable/baby potato/tomato pesto dish and ate it with fillet steak. The baby ate 70% of my steak, nothing else. Kid's got taste.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Spaghetti and meatballs here tonight.

20201019-190445.jpg

Your naan looks really beautiful. Home made? Shop bought? I want some!

Home made, though not quite entirely traditional. I'm usually to disorganised to get a yeast dough going, so I found a cheat's recipe online. It's this :

1 cup flour
    1/2 cup yoghurt
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp sugar
    oil

Mix a bit of oil through the flour, then add the yoghurt bit by bit. Knead until the dough is soft and let it rest.
    To bake them, I put the oven on highest setting and put in my trusted castiron pan. Once it's fully heated up, I switch the oven setting to grill, roll out the first naan, sprinkle with a little water, then with chopped garlic and coriander. Press the garlic and coriander on a little, then get the pan out of the oven and drop the naan in. Put it under the grill for 2-3 minutes until it's bubbled up and starts browning.
    Take out, brush with butter or ghee, then put it into a covered bowl to allow it to soften a bit with its own steam. Repeat with the next naan.

Home made, though not quite entirely traditional. I'm usually to disorganised to get a yeast dough going, so I found a cheat's recipe online. It's this :

1 cup flour
    1/2 cup yoghurt
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp sugar
    oil

Mix a bit of oil through the flour, then add the yoghurt bit by bit. Knead until the dough is soft and let it rest.
    To bake them, I put the oven on highest setting and put in my trusted castiron pan. Once it's fully heated up, I switch the oven setting to grill, roll out the first naan, sprinkle with a little water, then with chopped garlic and coriander. Press the garlic and coriander on a little, then get the pan out of the oven and drop the naan in. Put it under the grill for 2-3 minutes until it's bubbled up and starts browning.
    Take out, brush with butter or ghee, then put it into a covered bowl to allow it to soften a bit with its own steam. Repeat with the next naan.

Thank you so much. I'm definitely going to make these. I haven't had a lot of luck with home made flat beads lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭maximo31

Monday nights dinner , chorizo and chicken risotto. Perfect for the dirty evening that it was! Very tasty. Mrs Maximo was very impressed.

• Advertisement

Wanted to use up some roast beef from Sunday. Found this recipe and it was tick, tick and tick when it came to leftover ingredients. Watching the video is easier to follow than reading it.

Served it with a creamy mash.

57-E5-FF53-9-F2-F-41-A0-9509-B04-CCC13-A307.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/beef_pithivier_74073

Advertisement