Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The Vietnamese pork bowl from the meal plan thread someone put up, with some pickled veg (needed as it's quite sweet). Really really nice. I can see this becoming a regular.

bOkR84m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

The Vietnamese pork bowl from the meal plan thread someone put up, with some pickled veg (needed as it's quite sweet).

Whats this thread?

Edit: no worries, I think I found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

Last nights dinner! Grilled asian salmon, honey mustard baby potatoes with steamed broccoli.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Had Dhaal last night again, with pilau rice and naan.

This is one curry that I don't mind that there's no meat in it , my wife said restaurant quality so I'm happy enough with that endorsement.

IMG-20201107-182249.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Bacon and cabbage and Swede and mash.

First time making it, pretty nice. Picked up the smoked one but next time I'll get one that isnt and make a honey mustard glaze

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Creamy cheesy pasta bake with meatballs.

IMG-20201108-175229933.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Glazed ham with cabbage, roasted carrot & turnip and roasties. White sauce and gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Salmon tagliatelle.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Takeaway last night
    The bunga bunga pizza from Da Mimmo

Tuscan garlic chicken and mash. Looks like vomit, tastes glorious.

e6vSsG2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Tuscan garlic chicken and mash. Looks like vomit, tastes glorious.

Snap! I made the same thing this evening :P We had it with pasta instead of mash though. It's lovely with mash, but find it a little too rich on my stupidly delicate tummy :rolleyes:

I have some sundried tomatoes left over, so plan to use it to make this next week:
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/squash-rice-sage-goats-cheese

woodchuck wrote: »
    Snap! I made the same thing this evening :P We had it with pasta instead of mash though. It's lovely with mash, but find it a little too rich on my stupidly delicate tummy :rolleyes:

Oh, I'll be paying for it later for sure. Don't care, had mash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Katsu curry, with tenderstem broccoli which was unexpectedly nice with it.

20201109-183923.jpg

Chilli.

I'm absolutely bored senseless with my own cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Chilli.

I'm absolutely bored senseless with my own cooking.

That's a post I can relate to. However my Chilli is lovely, but no longer in the mood after making it. Mrs G is addicted to it. It's so hard to keep your mojo up if you are the only cook in the house. I am the only cook in the house.:(

IMG-20201014-162834.jpg

Grandeeod wrote: »
    It's so hard to keep your mojo up if you are the only cook in the house. I am the only cook in the house.:(

Same.

My other half is brilliant round the house but doesn't cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Same.

My other half is brilliant round the house but doesn't cook.

The whole Covid/Lockdown thing has exhausted me in terms of planning meals and making them. I used to love it and eat it. But I'm not enjoying my meals as much. Mrs G is great around the house too, but I still do the hoovering.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Another solo cooker here. Husband is great and god love him he tried but he is just awful at cooking so it all falls on me. He's also a less picky eater than me so when I ask what he wants for dinner he never has any suggestions. It's an ongoing struggle!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Another solo cooker here. Husband is great and god love him he tried but he is just awful at cooking so it all falls on me. He's also a less picky eater than me so when I ask what he wants for dinner he never has any suggestions. It's an ongoing struggle!

Im in the same boat,so ive asked my kids.
    They are taking turns in giving a menu every week.

Last week was successful, youngest turn this week. Should be interesting .:D

I do the vast majority of the cooking in our house too. If I left it up to himself, we'd have meat, mashed potatoes and peas every day... which gets old very quickly!! I need variety in my meals. Ideally like a mix of potato, pasta and rice dishes in any given week. We also wouldn't eat until much later in the evening if I left it all up to him, because he tends to work later than I do.

So I do ALL the meal planning. Before Covid, that might only involved say 4-5 meals a week. We might go out for dinner once a week, maybe visit the parents, evenings out with work/friends etc. Since Covid though, we're eating ALL of our meals together at home. So 7 meals a week... every week... to plan :rolleyes:

It was definitely an adjustment in the beginning! At least I've had more time to try out new recipes though and I've gotten used to the routine now. And we recently bought a new freezer, so I don't have to worry about playing freezer tetris anymore, which is one less thing to worry about when planning ahead! Working from home helps a lot too, as I have more time and energy to cook meals from scratch.

• Advertisement

I usually lose my cooking mojo around this time of year. I almost get depressed at the thought of winter food - and Mr Dizzy isn't much into cooking. The weekly planner thread is helping to inspire me this year though, and I think the second lockdown has helped too because I'm determined not to get into a rut.

When you have young children it's harder, I think. Mine were picky eaters and cooking felt like a thankless task at times. Now I have a two year old grandson who exists mainly on cheese, carbs and fruit :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,795 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I usually lose my cooking mojo around this time of year.

So do I so just came back from the shops and over the next few days Ive the option of Asian soup, Tomato soup, gumbo, stir fries, roast pork (with apple and/or peach mustard sauce) and roast chicken.

So Ill have to get cooking or some will go to waste.

I usually lose my cooking mojo around this time of year. I almost get depressed at the thought of winter food - and Mr Dizzy isn't much into cooking. The weekly planner thread is helping to inspire me this year though, and I think the second lockdown has helped too because I'm determined not to get into a rut.

When you have young children it's harder, I think. Mine were picky eaters and cooking felt like a thankless task at times. Now I have a two year old grandson who exists mainly on cheese, carbs and fruit :rolleyes:

Yes, I relate to all this. Just had a big battle at the table with my two year old even though it's my policy not to argue over food. But when someone who hasn't tasted the meal at all is screaming I DON'T LIKE IT over and over while mashing their fist into ketchup and smearing it everywhere... well I have my limits. :pac:

Tonight we had griddled pork chops with barbecue sauce, potato wedges and buttered corn and peas. The two year old had a post tantrum banana.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Chicken Kiev, peas and a potato pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Yes, I relate to all this. Just had a big battle at the table with my two year old even though it's my policy not to argue over food. But when someone who hasn't tasted the meal at all is screaming I DON'T LIKE IT over and over while mashing their fist into ketchup and smearing it everywhere... well I have my limits. :pac:

Tonight we had griddled pork chops with barbecue sauce, potato wedges and buttered corn and peas. The two year old had a post tantrum banana.

I read that as gridlock, and was thinking how apt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

I had to read back over this post to help myself process the intensity of the situation.

Hopefully a nice dessert for yourself afterwards

IrishLad90 wrote: »
    I had to read back over this post to help myself process the intensity of the situation.

I realise as you say this that this madness is just completely normal for me now. :D Don't be put off having kids, it is the absolute best fun ever, I promise!

I realise as you say this that this madness is just completely normal for me now. :D Don't be put off having kids, it is the absolute best fun ever, I promise!

After reading your earlier post, I told the OH that he's doing all the cooking if we ever have kids :p

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Roald Dahl

We had this on Saturday. It's my attempt at a (vegetarian) Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich.

Philly-Cheesesteak.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I had some leftover dahl and rice, bu not enough to make a meal by itself. So I added some tikka paneer to it, which turned out very nice indeed.

RDS3ruX.jpg

Advertisement