Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

McMurphy wrote: »
    I'll make you one and send it over some day jingle, all you'll need to do is whack in oven for 20mins or so. :)

Ahem:p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'd mangle it! Looks yum.

It looks good, it’s just severely lacking in flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

J Mysterio wrote: »
    We call that one 'weinachtssuppe' :pac:

That's one of the things I love about Germany - nobody can ever agree on what food is called :D

I had some free time this weekend, since all my foster kittens were rehomed. So I decided to treat myself and made a parmigiana di melanzane

m0ozbrc.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Roast Veggie Curry that Donal Skehan made a few weeks ago.

I find most veggie dinners boring but I enjoyed this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Easy chicken and pasta bake.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Sirloin steak, onions and mushrooms and Lidl's gratin potatoes. Boring and bland!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Sirloin steak, onions and mushrooms and Lidl's gratin potatoes. Boring and bland!

What!:eek: Sounds good. I cooked this dinner yesterday and posted in another thread. It had flavours rushing from all over. Tender roast beef. Potato gratin with extra cheese on top. Garlic spuds. Some garden peas thrown over. Gravy over the beef.

IMG-20201116-115753.jpg

Grandeeod wrote: »
    What!:eek: Sounds good.

The steak was just so tasteless. And the gratin was gloopy. Didn't help that everything had gone cold by the time we got to eat due to a perfectly timed nappy change. Just a bit of a flop. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tesco beer battered cod with home made skin on fries, greens and tartar sauce.

20201117-184141.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Sirloin-rooms-spinnach-2.jpg

Sirloin-rooms-spinnach.jpg

Sirloin steak cooked in butter, mushrooms cooked in butter, and baby leaf spinach with sea salt and butter.

The steak is in a sauce/jou made from a very small clove of chopped garlic cooked on a low heat for 4 min in some more butter and pan juices, pushed to the side and the pan slid half off the zone and then the heat to high and a Lidl Australian Shiraz dribbled on the hot part of the pan to flash boil and reduce, then reduced the heat, centered the pan and added a good grind of black pepper, a sprinkle of sea salt and then all mixed with a few ml of cream and then 3 thinly sliced green olives. The spinach I zapped with water in the microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

snowgal wrote: »
    I think chicken and chips is in my top 3 fav dinners!

With stuffing! Have been cooking my chicken in the airfryer but wanted to cook homemade chips so had to do it in the oven. Would have liked the skin crispier but the chicken was already up to temp and didn't want to over do it. May get a second airfryer!

Made a Yellow curry yesterday then I striped what ever meat was left on the chicken carcass and put it on to simmer over night and make a stock. Made an asian broth/ramen style mash up this evening. It's a dish I must learn more about. Know I could have done with some miso, pork and probably one or two other things. Still tasty and healthier than a lot of our meals!

533229.jpg

533230.jpg

533231.jpg

Fried rice with vegetables, fried eggs and some of my homemade kimchi.
    The kimchi turned out amazingly well, I can only recommend making your own to all you spicy and fermented food afficionados out there. SO easy to do.

STJnp9Z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Had gumbo last night. Have some nice cajun seasoning and filé powder so nice and authentic taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭dmc17

Stir fried noodles with prawns and veg

noodles.png

I had stir fried noodles and veg here too, but with duck. It was horrible. I need help!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Oriental style (whatever that means) pork mince, veg and rice bowl, grilled brocolli and pickled onions.

dGFNZdc.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I had stir fried noodles and veg here too, but with duck. It was horrible. I need help!

I'll take whatever is left, yeah?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'll take whatever is left, yeah?

I couldn't do it to you man

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Are you trying to stick to healthy dinners when you're craving chips and sausages? I usually embrace stews and casseroles in winter but not this year, I'm craving the less healthy foods - and blaming the 'rona :)

Rosie & Jim gluten free frozen chicken fillets are my go-to at the minute, because the gram flour coating is crunchy and can handle a sauce without going soggy. I have them in wraps, with katsu sauce, sweet chilli stir fry etc. When I don't know what to have I'll have one of them with something tasty.

In other news, last night we had chicken curry.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I made my first ever steak and kidney pie from scratch (well the filling, not the pastry) during the week and it was savage. I read a recipe that recommends adding a tablespoon of horseradish to the mixture and it really works so well. It was perfect for this time of year and is going on the menu rotation as a batch cook freezer option. It's not a fast dinner, I put the pot on around 3pm to simmer slowly and ate at 8 so it's worth doing a big batch cook on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Made fish fingers and chips last night. Put some Kewpie mayo in the batter for sweetness, panko and parmesan crust with some mint pea puree. Baked them. Really happy with it.

Are you trying to stick to healthy dinners when you're craving chips and sausages? I usually embrace stews and casseroles in winter but not this year, I'm craving the less healthy foods - and blaming the 'rona :)

Rosie & Jim gluten free frozen chicken fillets are my go-to at the minute, because the gram flour coating is crunchy and can handle a sauce without going soggy. I have them in wraps, with katsu sauce, sweet chilli stir fry etc. When I don't know what to have I'll have one of them with something tasty.

In other news, last night we had chicken curry.

I don't think it's that exactly! I think I'm after something that I can't quite put my finger on, and therefore nothing I'm cooking seems to hit the spot.

Admittedly last night was an experiment. I got Lidl's duck breasts which I plan fried in a cold pan skin side down and managed to burn! Once I'd wrestled the burnt skin off I cooked them until they were medium and then let them rest. I stir fried some veg and noodles and added a little soy and honey. Then I tossed it all together. But the duck had been marinated, according to the packaging, in "salt, pepper and garlic" which I thought would be quite generic flavours but I was wrong. The flavour was very strong and clashed badly with the honey/soy combo. Nobody liked it.

I'm just in a rut.

Fish pie tonight which I love. Hoping to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

I find commercial garlic flavouring very aggressive, and so dodge things like those Lidl duck breasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

dmc17 wrote: »
    Stir fried noodles with prawns and veg

looks great, wanna try the same. is there a recipie or could you give a general quick guide please ?

tangy wrote: »
    I find commercial garlic flavouring very aggressive, and so dodge things like those Lidl duck breasts.

I'm wise to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭dmc17

looks great, wanna try the same. is there a recipie or could you give a general quick guide please ?

Didn't follow a specific recipe but was something like this:
    • Firstly cooked some fine egg noodles, cooled under cold water, drained and set aside
    • In a wok, stir fried 1/2 a chopped onion, 1 clove of garlic, 1 chili, 1 mini sweet pepper, some tender stem broccoli
    • Added in a packet of ready to eat prawns
    • Added in a shake of curry powder
    • Added the cold noodles into the wok and then some sauce I made from soy sauce, oyster sauce and a few drops of fish sauce
    • Added some spring onions towards the end of cooking and season to taste

Think that was it. Adjust to your own taste and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

tangy wrote: »

We got the confit duck in Lidl recently, which includes some sort of garlic and spice mix on it. We just baked it in the oven according to the instructions and it was delicious! Will definitely go for it again.

Tonight we had thai green curry, using some of the 1kg tub of paste my Mam gave me! As tasty as it is, I'd murder a chipper. And a warm chocolate brownie with vanilla ice-cream afterwards. I just want warm, heavy, carby, calorific food atm. Stupid wedding dress hanging in my wardrobe though that I'm afraid i won't fit into next year. I swear to god, one of the worst parts about being a Covid bride and having to postpone, is trying to keep the weight off. During a pandemic!! One of these days I'm going to crack, Sister Assumpta style.

Mushroom Stroganoff with Schupfnudeln. The Schupfnudeln aren't strictly speaking traditional, but they work really well with the sour cream and pickles in the dish.

d87zTdT.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

''A proper dinner, None of that Poncey Wok nonsense'' (as my Mam would say !)
    Sliced turkey brest, mash and roast potatoes, sprouts, carrots stuffing balls and pigs in blankets. I did have 3 each of the last 2 but milled them whilst waiting on the spuds !

Turkey.jpg

Advertisement