Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Thought Quorn was vegan.

A Vegetable Biryani here tonight with Crispy Onions on top.

12-C1-A8-AD-13-CC-4-D34-962-F-9571-DABF4256.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/vegetable_biryani_50072

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

^ Thought Quorn was vegan.

They have some vegan stuff, but most has egg proteins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

No takeaway here tonight, I'm back in business :)
    We had roast turkey breast, colcannon and carrots. I got a small turkey crown on special offer with the ham last week.

20201125-191731-1.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had a big lunch so just had a few home made chips for dinner. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Spanish chicken (including chorizo, butterbeans and peppers) with baguette and red wine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

Recliner wrote: »
    Not the prettiest plate but so tasty. Also made a mushroom, mustard and cream sauce to go with.

Just looking at this again, we have an unhealthy obsession with sprouts, even if these were overcooked.

BTW the ballotine was stuffed with very finely chopped cooked onions and mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

kylith wrote: »
    Almost entirely vegan lasagna; Quorn is the only non-vegan element. Mixed vegetable tomato sauce, butternut and cashew ‘white’ sauce, smoked nondairy cheese product on top. I find that the Lidl lasagne sheets need to be par boiled before they can be used. Very tasty, but all a bit soft.

To be honest its of an issue I’ve been having with our diet recently is that everything seems to be quite...wet. Himself isn’t much of a fan of mock meats other than quorn nuggets and I don’t seem to be able to get much texture in with beans, lentils, and the like.

If you miss the bite of meat products, give seitan a try. You can either get it ready-made from some health food shops, or you can get vital wheat gluten and make it yourself. It's not hard to make, but the steaming or baking before you can use it takes a bit of time. I found it's perfect for adding a stronger texture to some dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Felt lazy this evening and didn't fancy anything I had in the fridge.

Strolled to the shop and picked up a value margarita pizza that I topped with sliced up squares of streaky bacon rashers. crumbled gorgonzola and Italian herbs. Demolished so quickly I didn't take a pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Green thai curry. This paste is nice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/greencurrypaste_67789

IMG-20201125-201654.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Dinner this evening was a bit of what I had in the fridge/cupboard to use up, but it was delicious!

Nacho's done in the oven with salsa and cheese, Mexican rice with prawns, guacamole and chips.

IMG-20201126-180509.jpg

Ps excuse the funky new table cover, I know it's about 3 weeks early, but the kids insisted!

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    If you miss the bite of meat products, give seitan a try. You can either get it ready-made from some health food shops, or you can get vital wheat gluten and make it yourself. It's not hard to make, but the steaming or baking before you can use it takes a bit of time. I found it's perfect for adding a stronger texture to some dishes.
    I'll keep an eye out for it. Then I'll just have to convince Himself to eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Happy Thanksgiving!

A vein-thickening Southern Fried Chicken, Creamy Potato And Broccoli Mash with Tomato & Sweetcorn Salsa.

9-C45-A1-C3-E12-B-4-C3-F-A4-A6-6-FF57179-B543.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/southern-fried_97953

We had home made burgers tonight.

I cremated the nice seeded brioche buns I'd bought while toasting them, so they were eaten instead in hastily defrosted hot dog buns...while the burgers went cold. Another victorious dinner for the Mystery Egg family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭bassy

omelette was 3 eggs,one onion diced,ham chopped up,garlic mashed,ginger shredded with 4 slices of toast.
    handy way of getting the garlic in to you at this time of year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had last night's dinner again because we had so much turkey left, I cooked fresh colcannon and carrots. It seemed like a good idea but it really wasn't.

We had last night's dinner again because we had so much turkey left, I cooked fresh colcannon and carrots. It seemed like a good idea but it really wasn't.

Same dinner two nights in a row sometimes turns my stomach. I'm a fickle creature. :pac:

I realised tonight that that's what it does to me too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I regularly do the same dinner two nights in a row. It's so much easier than having to cook from scratch all the time! I love leftovers.

I often enjoy it more on the second day, cause when I'm cooking it the first day, I'm tasting as I go to get the flavours right. So by the time I sit down to eat it, I'm bored of it :P

Sometimes I'll cook/eat it on day 1, cook something else on day 2 and eat the leftovers on day 3. The best of both worlds!

I did chilli con veggie tonight (Jamie Oliver recipe I think). Having the left overs tomorrow and still some left over to freeze too :P

I tend to freeze leftovers and eat them a week or two later. My husband could eat the same thing five nights running but I just can't do it.

I usually freeze leftovers too. Any time I've had the same dinner twice in a row I've just regretted it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Hot, bubbly, creamy, cheezy, full of vegetables, tasty, oh-so-satisfying pasta bake.
    Looks a bit messy because I baked it in the same pan I made the sauce in.

CkAjQle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Brioche-2.jpg
    Brioche-3.jpg

More Brioche. Much better this time with increasing the sugar from 30g to 65g and reducing the milk from 70ml to 60ml and using 6 egg yolks and the whites of 3 of them. The dough was actually workable after spending overnight in the boot of the car and not a sticky mess, like last time.

The crunchy crust just disolves in the mouth like pastry. Half an avocado with balsamic salad dressing a bit later and I think that's my dinner and calories for the day.

I browned a nicely marbled boneless rib of beef and then left it in the slow cooker with some herbs and veg and a cup of water.

Left it for most of the day and we had a truly melting joint. I could have carved it with a spoon.

I made gravy from the juices and served it with roast potatoes, asparagus, broccoli and carrots. Delicious.

Shenshen's veggie pasta bake looked so nice it made me want one too. It really hit the spot :)

20201127-185034.jpg

Not quite enchiladas, cos neither of us likes spicy food. Very tasty.

Do you love reading this thread but don't join in because you think your dinners aren't interesting enough? That people won't be interested in your food?

Please feel free to join in, you'd be very welcome. Tell us what your dinner was like, and post a photo if you've taken one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

kylith wrote: »
    Almost entirely vegan lasagna; Quorn is the only non-vegan element. Mixed vegetable tomato sauce, butternut and cashew ‘white’ sauce, smoked nondairy cheese product on top. I find that the Lidl lasagne sheets need to be par boiled before they can be used. Very tasty, but all a bit soft.

To be honest its of an issue I’ve been having with our diet recently is that everything seems to be quite...wet. Himself isn’t much of a fan of mock meats other than quorn nuggets and I don’t seem to be able to get much texture in with beans, lentils, and the like.

Try combining fairly finely diced aubergine with green lentils for a very good "mince" like texture.

Try combining fairly finely diced aubergine with green lentils for a very good "mince" like texture.

I'm going to try this

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Needed to use some mildly freezer burned chicken fillets before they got any worse - forgot it was an open tray

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/creamy_white_wine_58519 has gone down well and left me with two thirds of a bottle of wine for the rest of the evening. Swapped in shallots for the onions, as Bourdain said nearly every recipe is improved by doing that; and did mash rather than new potatoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Chicken fajitas! Including homemade salsa.

Got the idea from the meal plan thread :)

Advertisement